Sébastien Bassong (now retired)

Crumpy Gunt

I don't buy all this "selling club" thing, we have sold 3 players who wanted to leave.

thats because you don't understand it. Sorry like. But, under Ashley, we have became a selling club, and it appears to be the path he intends to follow, although I obviously hope this turns out to be wrong.

It's - along with the involvement of Wise - the reason Keegan left. Without any doubt whatsoever.

Guest Howaythetoon

Was wrong side for WBA 2nd goal yesterday

I think he genuinly got caught unawares which is a mistake of course but not something that's a flaw or anything, the speed of the ball played in and angle of the striker almost made the spinning of Bassong guaranteed.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Was wrong side for WBA 2nd goal yesterday

I think he genuinly got caught unawares which is a mistake of course but not something that's a flaw or anything, the speed of the ball played in and angle of the striker almost made the spinning of Bassong guaranteed.

I think he was trying to keep his line, but team mates dropped slightly allowing Fortune to get wrong side on his left shoulder as oppsed to where he should have been, on his right shoulder

Guest sicko2ndbest

Had anotger pop at Enrique, how many players in wor team have to have a go at Jose for fking up, love Bassong but he cannot do it all himself at the back.

I think Jose's problem is his laid back style. Our players interpret that as lazyness therefore he is an easy target. As he is not a vocal member of the squad it also makes him an easy target.

If he has the personality to say 'fuck you' then i think it is a good idea to berait him for mistakes, but if he has the personality to crawl up his own arse the shouting has a negative effect

I don't buy all this "selling club" thing, we have sold 3 players who wanted to leave.

thats because you don't understand it. Sorry like. But, under Ashley, we have became a selling club, and it appears to be the path he intends to follow, although I obviously hope this turns out to be wrong.

It's - along with the involvement of Wise - the reason Keegan left. Without any doubt whatsoever.

So we are only buying players to sell on a profit? Why did we buy Collocini? I am sure there are some decent young centre backs knocking about who we could have bought for half the price with more chance of their value rising.

Its not as if we went behind anyones backs to sell them, every player that has been sold was sold because THEY wanted out.

Had anotger pop at Enrique, how many players in wor team have to have a go at Jose for fking up, love Bassong but he cannot do it all himself at the back.

I think Jose's problem is his laid back style. Our players interpret that as lazyness therefore he is an easy target. As he is not a vocal member of the squad it also makes him an easy target.

If he has the personality to say 'fuck you' then i think it is a good idea to berait him for mistakes, but if he has the personality to crawl up his own arse the shouting has a negative effect

Jose's got ability which we all saw last week, but he's not getting rollickings from team mates because he's an easy target. He can be very dozy at times and you can't play the offside trap if one of the defenders isn't on the ball, I'm pretty sure he wasn't looking along the line on at least one occasion.

Guest toonlass

Think Bassong has been our best acquisition in the summer window. He has proved over the whole season that he is a grafter, he is intelligent and he is motivated. Love the way he is not afraid to have a go at others.

So we are only buying players to sell on a profit? Why did we buy Collocini? I am sure there are some decent young centre backs knocking about who we could have bought for half the price with more chance of their value rising.

Its not as if we went behind anyones backs to sell them, every player that has been sold was sold because THEY wanted out.

sorry, I'm not explaining this again, which has been done numerous times, especially when you don't listen and I just get a daft pm from you like the last one and flak from others for "spoiling threads".

Ashley has turned us into a selling club, if it continues, then you might understand eventually. Hopefully he won't.

Carry on deluding yourself that Bassong will think NUFC will act like the big club they ought to be, and help him fulfill his career ambitions.

sorry, I'm not explaining this again, which has been done numerous times, especially when you don't listen and I just get a daft pm from you like the last one and flak from others for "spoiling threads".

Ashley has turned us into a selling club, if it continues, then you might understand eventually. Hopefully he won't.

Carry on deluding yourself that Bassong will think NUFC will act like the big club they ought to be, and help him fulfill his career ambitions.

dude :no:

what do you want me to say ? Something he agrees with, which I 100% wouldn't believe  ?

Guest toonlass

You are obsessed man. Are you not able to post in any threads without slating Ashley? Are you unable to see how good Bassong is for the price he cost and not just appreciate that? Why are you so blinkered?

what do you want me to say ? Something he agrees with, which I 100% wouldn't believe  ?

the smiley is called sad smiley and that's how i feel when i read your posts now, you're not trying to achieve anything with them and are redefining the word repetitive, so all i can bring myself to say now is

You are obsessed man. Are you not able to post in any threads without slating Ashley? Are you unable to see how good Bassong is for the price he cost and not just appreciate that? Why are you so blinkered?

what are you talking about ? Of course I can see how good Bassong is ?

I'm not half so obsessed about Ashley as the dozens of people who were obsessed about his predecessors ?

I just think Ashley is taking the club on the road to absolute oblivion.

You say you have seen this club operating as a selling club, so you should understand too by the way.

See,  I didn't and don't want to "spoil this thread" at all, I just posted what I think about Bassong and his future at the club.

Guest toonlass

I'm not half so obsessed about Ashley as the dozens of people who were obsessed about his predecessors ?

You say you have seen this club operating as a selling club, so you should understand too by the way.

See,  I didn't and don't want to "spoil this thread" at all, I just posted what I think about Bassong and his future at the club.

But you have to harp on about Mike Ashley. Why can't you just say what you feel about Bassong without getting all "Mike Ashley is a twat!" on it.

NE5, leave aside the selling club thing ('cause if you look at it it doesn't stand up, nor does asset stripping) and explain what your honest take on ashley is if you don't mind

do you think the fiasco that has unfolded since he took over was from the start a cynical and calculated ploy?  the finance thread showing he's losing not making money...so what's it all about?  in your opinion, leaving aside personalities and previous records of the old board...

EDIT: sorry if i'm derailing the thread as well...on bassong he looks very good but hasn't played a full season yet, lets hold off with the keys to the city

NE5, leave aside the selling club thing ('cause if you look at it it doesn't stand up, nor does asset stripping) and explain what your honest take on ashley is if you don't mind

do you think the fiasco that has unfolded since he took over was from the start a cynical and calculated ploy?  the finance thread showing he's losing not making money...so what's it all about?  in your opinion, leaving aside personalities and previous records of the old board...

EDIT: sorry if i'm derailing the thread as well...on bassong he looks very good but hasn't played a full season yet, lets hold off with the keys to the city

taking aside that he bought the club without doing due dilligence.......

which I wouldn't give a toss about if he was the right man for the club, and knew how football works. Especially at a big club like us.

It's difficult to know how to answer, because nobody knows what his original intentions were. Maybe he did have ambition, but didn't realise the cost. Maybe he saw it as something to sell on and make a profit ie was in it for the short term. Maybe he saw it as a vehicle to sit with sports direct.

I think whatever of the above applies , he's been caught out and didn't really realise what he was getting into. Maybe we are the wrong club for him ? Maybe we are just too big and demanding for him [same thing].

All I want from an owner of NUFC is to show ambition for the club in keeping with the size of it. I supported this club for 28 years before someone came in and showed this, and although there was obviously the odd good season and spell of good feeling, overall it was completely frustrating, knowing the club was massively underachieving. Pretty much every day of your life, supporters of the club used to say that we should be a much bigger and better club than one that is a yo-yo club. For younger lads [assuming you are yourself mate] try and look at the mackems fortunes over the last 15 years of Bob Murray and imagine the same here for almost twice the time span.

Its not good enough, and I sensed fairly soon that his attitude was more in this direction than the one we had been seeing.

I don't think it is possible to be successful without speculating, and if that means accumulating a debt, then all the other successful clubs have gone down this route. Give me a club that competes before one that doesn't anyday, whats the point if you don't compete at your level ? It might go wrong, and for most clubs it doesn't work out to the extent they would like, but thats football. Then you have to ease back a bit, regroup, and try again, but you have to try again. You have to be prepared to make some buys that don't work out, and lose some money on them. Thats football.

The reason we have this 52,000 stadium is because they were successful enough to justify expanding it. I can see a situation whereby if it is only 60% full to capacity, what impact would this have on finances and the clubs ability to get back among the elite ? It makes me wonder if Mike Ashley had taken over the club 10-11 years ago, would there have been any need to expand it in the first place, and run up the stadium debt ? All swings and roundabouts. Speculate or die.

Don't mean to derail. Its my observation [yes again] for anybody who feels they want to say something for or against.

Back to Bassong. Players know when they are playing for a club going nowhere, especially if they know they should be playing for the clubs putting in the big challenges. But that is where we should always be striving to be. Players like Bassong and the now departed Shay Given and Charles N'Zogbia, and the soon to depart Michael Owen just should not see NUFC as a club to leave, other than to the worldwide giants such as the likes of Real Madrid, Barcelona and ManU, which is understandable, even though in the mid 90's even Andy Cole didn't WANT to leave us. THAT is where we ought to be.

I'll leave it there. I've tried to answer.