Sébastien Bassong (now retired)

Crumpy Gunt

Him choosing Cameroon could be good news for us.

Bassong is probably already on the radar of a few PL teams.  Better news would be his announcement that he wants to stay with Newcastle and work to bounce right back.

That's quite possibly the most staggeringly obvious statement I've ever seen you make.

More relevance than deciding which international team to play for to be fair.

Him choosing Cameroon could be good news for us.

Bassong is probably already on the radar of a few PL teams.  Better news would be his announcement that he wants to stay with Newcastle and work to bounce right back.

Maybe, but he has hardly been mentioned in the press all season, and when he has like on SSN the other day, they were negative comments. It seems that people think that he is a CB playing for Newcastle so he must be rubbish. Can only be good news for us.

• 14 years later...
3 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I loved Bassong when he was with us, don’t remember being devastated when he left though. Guess it was because of everything else going on with the club at the time 

i was gutted.

he was class.

5 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I loved Bassong when he was with us, don’t remember being devastated when he left though. Guess it was because of everything else going on with the club at the time 

I seem to recall that he was brilliant in the air against bigger opponents, but then he got pulled up for holding players while they were jumping, and after that refs seemed to be pulling him up for it more.

I kind of admire him fronting up and saying he did it the wrong way. 

He was a solid prospect, but one that the club did well to get £8m for. Maybe if he'd stayed and won promotion with us he'd have made more. I think it worked out best to have Colo, Taylor and Williamson as a rotation of CBs with a few loanees to fill the space.