2009 Under 21 EURO's

Kasper

That u21s team doesn't excite me at all. I didn't watch this tournament for exactly that reason. If I'm watching u21s I want to be watching genuinely exciting talents playing football that's easy on the eye. We had a bunch of 21-23 year old bully boys who were probably bigger and more experienced than everyone else; Muamba, Noble, Cattermole, Milner, Taylor (had he been fit), Onuoha, etc.

Who in that squad do we really hold out any hope for? I guess Richards could get his act back together again, Walcott and Agbonlahor are on the way up and Hart looks decent. Maybe Johnson? Most of that squad will or should never get anywhere near being regulars in the first team squad. Boring as owt.

That u21s team doesn't excite me at all. I didn't watch this tournament for exactly that reason. If I'm watching u21s I want to be watching genuinely exciting talents playing football that's easy on the eye. We had a bunch of 21-23 year old bully boys who were probably bigger and more experienced than everyone else; Muamba, Noble, Cattermole, Milner, Taylor (had he been fit), Onuoha, etc.

Who in that squad do we really hold out any hope for? I guess Richards could get his act back together again, Walcott and Agbonlahor are on the way up and Hart looks decent. Maybe Johnson? Most of that squad will or should never get anywhere near being regulars in the first team squad. Boring as owt.

Nail on. They were actually talking about this during the Semifinal here in Sweden. I think Englands starting 11 had something like 800 premiership appearances or something like that between them where as Sweden had a couple of Premiership appearances, a bunch of Eredivisie and a lot of Swedish Allsvenskan players. And it showed especially in the first half, it was men against boys especially at the set-plays. Where Sweden tried to rely on technically sound players like Bajrami, Elm, Berg, Toivonen and even the full backs Johansson and Lustig to actually outplay the opposition whether it was Italy, Belarus or England, England only tried to be tougher, stronger and wiser than their opponents. And save for THAT crossbar header from Berg in the semis wouldn't have gotten into the finals. I'd be willing to wager that most of the starting 11 in Sweden will be better regarded in the future than the English. Most of the English players will be average PL-players at best IMO.

Guest Heneage

Watching the U21 squad showed me there was a lot of Piano carriers not many piano players.

Steady on, Dunga.

:lol: It's a Brazilian term and I love it, it explains the concept in such an eloquent way.

Nail on. They were actually talking about this during the Semifinal here in Sweden. I think Englands starting 11 had something like 800 premiership appearances or something like that between them where as Sweden had a couple of Premiership appearances, a bunch of Eredivisie and a lot of Swedish Allsvenskan players. And it showed especially in the first half, it was men against boys especially at the set-plays. Where Sweden tried to rely on technically sound players like Bajrami, Elm, Berg, Toivonen and even the full backs Johansson and Lustig to actually outplay the opposition whether it was Italy, Belarus or England, England only tried to be tougher, stronger and wiser than their opponents. And save for THAT crossbar header from Berg in the semis wouldn't have gotten into the finals. I'd be willing to wager that most of the starting 11 in Sweden will be better regarded in the future than the English. Most of the English players will be average PL-players at best IMO.

Agreed. This is what I meant a couple of pages back in this thread.