Michael Owen gets injured; rejoice!

Willow

Any manager worth his salt will go for Martins before Owen, especially one as shrewd as David Moyes.

Yes but Owen is available for free and the Martins isn't.

The question is whether Moyes is looking for freebies or looking to take his team to the next level.

Owen might appear to be free but sign him up and the chairman isn't getting any other striker for Moyes this summer.

So when Owen gets the measles, malaria, typhoid etc and misses all of preseason and then gets his standard knee knock here, ankle knock there and hamstring strain everywhere, and the team is no better off than it was last season because even when he plays he is never match fit, I bet the fans will feel like he is costing them a hell of a lot then.

Owen will hold them back if anything and he is only getting older and more pathetic physically. Waste of money.

Any manager worth his salt will go for Martins before Owen, especially one as shrewd as David Moyes.

You would think so right.

Beware the lure of the English player who can do know wrong unlike all those evil, diving foreigners.

:lol: what's diving got to do with Martins over Owen?

Also two of the most high profile foreigners here (Ronaldo, Drogba) go down when an opposing player even breathes on them, they deserve all the stick they get.

The question is whether Moyes is looking for freebies or looking to take his team to the next level.

Owen might appear to be free but sign him up and the chairman isn't getting any other striker for Moyes this summer.

So when Owen gets the measles, malaria, typhoid etc and misses all of preseason and then gets his standard knee knock here, ankle knock there and hamstring strain everywhere, and the team is no better off than it was last season because even when he plays he is never match fit, I bet the fans will feel like he is costing them a hell of a lot then.

Owen will hold them back if anything and he is only getting older and more pathetic physically. Waste of money.

My understanding of Everton is that they don't have a lot of money for transfers. Moyes does a good job on a relatively small budget. If he buys Martins that could be well over half his transfer budget gone. As for Moyes wanting Owen, he supposedly wanted Smith not so long ago so who knows how he thinks?

We're absolutely skint so I don't see us going for players like Martins unless City make a daft offer for Lescott and we cash in.

I personally believe the Owen rumour and think he will sign. Not very happy about it, mind.

Guest toonlass

We're absolutely skint so I don't see us going for players like Martins unless City make a daft offer for Lescott and we cash in.

I personally believe the Owen rumour and think he will sign. Not very happy about it, mind.

Genuine question. How is the new stadium going to be funded?

owen will do okayish at his next club, which will just serve to highlight how disgracefully bad he was for us in his last 6 months here. before that there were problems with attitude, injuries, having to be carried by others etc but you always thought he still had quality and would deliver a decent return of goals. but in his 1 goal in 15 games run he was about as much use to us as Alan Smith.

owen will do okayish at his next club, which will just serve to highlight how disgracefully bad he was for us in his last 6 months here. before that there were problems with attitude, injuries, having to be carried by others etc but you always thought he still had quality and would deliver a decent return of goals. but in his 1 goal in 15 games run he was about as much use to us as Alan Smith.

Bad runs like that happen. Was just sh*t timing for us. You could say Shearer's 1 goal in open play in 14 games leading up to Gullit's sacking is what lead him to being dropped for the Sunderland game, and Gullit getting sacked. It happens.

Bad runs like that happen. Was just sh*t timing for us. You could say Shearer's 1 goal in open play in 14 games leading up to Gullit's sacking is what lead him to being dropped for the Sunderland game, and Gullit getting sacked. It happens.

not really, because Owen literally has nothing else to his game but scoring, if he is not doing that, he's doing nothing at all. Owen didn't even have a good 30 minute spell during a game in which you thought "he looks on form today". he was literally crap for just about every single minute he was on the field. On the other hand Shearer had a physical presence and teamplay that contributed to the side even if he wasn't scoring. and nice way to twist the stats to make them look similar, but Shearer actually scored 8 in the 15 league games up to the Sunderland match. let's face it, owen was genuinely appalling this season and he was supposed to be one of the players we were counting on. he should've been out the team after Martins and Lovenkrands gave us the best attacking movement and interplay all season vs arsenal, and it was imo a mistake by shearer to announce that Owen would start when he first arrived.

Guest BooBoo

I was willing to give him a chance to the very end, more out of desperation and a lack of alternatives than anything. He does have very good natural ability that our other strikers didn't possess and like many I hoped he could help pull us out of a desperate situation. But let's be honest it's got nowt to do with recent events; ever since he arrived the lad has totally taken the piss.

It says a lot about him that we've now reached a situation where we're relieved to lose a 29 year old striker with loads of England caps for nothing.

He epitomises everything that's wrong with our club in recent times. Vastly overpriced. Vastly overpaid. Past his best. Injury prone. Poor attitude (thinks he's bigger than the club). These could be used to describe various players (and managers) in our recent history, but none moreso than Michael Owen. He is one of the worst things to have happened to this club in recent times.

Even before he arrived we weren't good enough for him in his eyes. He was pining for a move to Liverpool, and came on the condition that we put clauses in his contract so he could leg it at the first opportunity at a huge financial loss to the club. And the only reason he didn't leave was because noone wanted him, even at a much reduced price. There were various transfer windows where he undermined the club, staying silent while rumours ran throughout the national press about his departure, before committing himself when he realised noone wanted him. We can only wonder what effect this had on other players in the dressing room, who saw him given the captain's armband and in the first team regardless of form or commitment, while earning two or three times their salaries. His actions ever since he arrived have been thoroughly unprofessional. How many games did we go into without a recognise left back or a right back while Owen was sat on the treatment table commanding the salary of two or three players. There's no doubt he's been a factor in our decline.

He'll be very lucky to get a move to someone like Everton. There was a time when only his fitness was in question. Now his form and commitment are too.

Best post i've read on here for a while. Sums up my feeleings re the Horse Whisperer.

Genuine question. How is the new stadium going to be funded?

Sale of Goodison, sale of the old training ground, subsidy from Tesco, sale of naming rights and a massive bank loan with sky high interest payments. Sounds good eh?

I don't think it will get the go ahead though, thank fuck.

Sale of Goodison, sale of the old training ground, subsidy from Tesco, sale of naming rights and a massive bank loan with sky high interest payments. Sounds good eh?

I don't think it will get the go ahead though, thank fuck.

I read something the other day that said that Everton only stand to make about 6m a year extra from the move to the new stadium.

Goodison is currently a bit of a mess, and a ground from a bygone age, but in my book that's exactly why, if you leave and go to some bland-o-drome, another little piece of football history will die. I'd take a trip to Goodison - poor facilities, bad view and all - over  a trip to something like the Riverside absolutely every day of the week.

I hope you don't move.

I don't think it will get the go ahead though, thank f***.

I read something the other day that said that Everton only stand to make about 6m a year extra from the move to the new stadium.

Goodison is currently a bit of a mess, and a ground from a bygone age, but in my book that's exactly why, if you leave and go to some bland-o-drome, another little piece of football history will die. I'd take a trip to Goodison - poor facilities, bad view and all - over  a trip to something like the Riverside absolutely every day of the week.

I hope you don't move.

That £6m is only if the place is sold out every week which there is no chance in hell of.

Even if we started winning things again it wouldn't fill up because there's so much opposition and bad feeling about the thing before it's been built since it's not in the city boundaries. It being a cheap Lego set in a total dump of an area with shocking transport links won't help its cause either.

Guest toonlass

I like Goodison because it's an old ground with character. Better than the ikea-flatpack stadiums springing up all over the place.

Guest Phil K

I like Goodison because it's an old ground with character. Better than the ikea-flatpack stadiums springing up all over the place.

Couldn't agree more.

Made by the same bloke who made Roker Park, Fratton Park and Ibrox with the same tell tale wooden X's down the lengths of the stands. Very distinctive.

Of course most of that has now gone, and not been replaced by anything as distinctive

But still good old fashioned kind of ground - WITH CHARACTER - shame it's three-quarters filled by mouthy scousers (When they're doing well, anyways)

Couldn't agree more.

Made by the same bloke who made Roker Park, Fratton Park and Ibrox with the same tell tale wooden X's down the lengths of the stands. Very distinctive.

Of course most of that has now gone, and not been replaced by anything as distinctive

But still good old fashioned kind of ground - WITH CHARACTER - shame it's three-quarters filled by mouthy scousers (When they're doing well, anyways)

The Archibald Leitch criss crosses are still there on the Bullens Road & Gwladys Street stands albeit the ones at the St End are hidden by advertising boards.

Keefaz- the ground in Kirkby wouldn't be sponsored by Tesco, it would be some other company. There would be a new Tesco and a massive retail park next door though. Depressing.  :no:

Guest BooBoo

If you've ever had a seat in the lower tier of the away end, you may change your mind. Comfortably the worst view in the Premier League.

Yes it has character, but that doesn't disguise the fact it's a dilapidated shithole of a stadium- see also the Old Wembley.

Guest toonlass

If you've ever had a seat in the lower tier of the away end, you may change your mind. Comfortably the worst view in the Premier League.

Yes it has character, but that doesn't disguise the fact it's a dilapidated shithole of a stadium- see also the Old Wembley.

Its the only place I ever seem to get seats at Goodison tbh. Still has more character than the Madejski on a monday night.

I was willing to give him a chance to the very end, more out of desperation and a lack of alternatives than anything. He does have very good natural ability that our other strikers didn't possess and like many I hoped he could help pull us out of a desperate situation. But let's be honest it's got nowt to do with recent events; ever since he arrived the lad has totally taken the piss.

It says a lot about him that we've now reached a situation where we're relieved to lose a 29 year old striker with loads of England caps for nothing.

He epitomises everything that's wrong with our club in recent times. Vastly overpriced. Vastly overpaid. Past his best. Injury prone. Poor attitude (thinks he's bigger than the club). These could be used to describe various players (and managers) in our recent history, but none moreso than Michael Owen. He is one of the worst things to have happened to this club in recent times.

Even before he arrived we weren't good enough for him in his eyes. He was pining for a move to Liverpool, and came on the condition that we put clauses in his contract so he could leg it at the first opportunity at a huge financial loss to the club. And the only reason he didn't leave was because noone wanted him, even at a much reduced price. There were various transfer windows where he undermined the club, staying silent while rumours ran throughout the national press about his departure, before committing himself when he realised noone wanted him. We can only wonder what effect this had on other players in the dressing room, who saw him given the captain's armband and in the first team regardless of form or commitment, while earning two or three times their salaries. His actions ever since he arrived have been thoroughly unprofessional. How many games did we go into without a recognise left back or a right back while Owen was sat on the treatment table commanding the salary of two or three players. There's no doubt he's been a factor in our decline.

He'll be very lucky to get a move to someone like Everton. There was a time when only his fitness was in question. Now his form and commitment are too.

100% entirely how i feel on the situation, also. Very well put. :thup:

Isn't the club more at fault here than the player though? A large part of me thinks that we got what we deserved in the end.

If you remember, the week before he signed, he said that he was only prepared to go to us on loan, and that he wanted to join Liverpool, who were the other club in the running. Shepherd then made an inflated bid which made it impossible for Real to accept Liverpool's offer, so we deliberately put Owen in the position where he either had to bite the bullet and join a club he didn't want to, or spend a season in Real's reserves and therefore possibly miss out on the World Cup. Okay, we didn't force him to join, but morally speaking we were in the wrong IMO, and it was a foolish move anyway because if you manipulate a player into joining you like that, his commitment isn't going to be the same.

Then Keegan comes in and makes him the Captain, not because he's the most suitable player for the job, but because he's fallen out with Owen in the past and he wants to make a public gesture that things are okay. Then when he reaches the final year of his contract, the club doesn't issue him with the sign or move ultimatum that is normal and sensible, because Wise and Keegan aren't working together properly and Keegan insists that he stays and we should try to sign him again on the same ridiculous terms that he'd never get anywhere else.

It's the club that has cocked this up. As many will know, I don't rate Owen the player but I've no problem with Owen the man.

Isn't the club more at fault here than the player though? A large part of me thinks that we got what we deserved in the end.

If you remember, the week before he signed, he said that he was only prepared to go to us on loan, and that he wanted to join Liverpool, who were the other club in the running. Shepherd then made an inflated bid which made it impossible for Real to accept Liverpool's offer, so we deliberately put Owen in the position where he either had to bite the bullet and join a club he didn't want to, or spend a season in Real's reserves and therefore possibly miss out on the World Cup. Okay, we didn't force him to join, but morally speaking we were in the wrong IMO, and it was a foolish move anyway because if you manipulate a player into joining you like that, his commitment isn't going to be the same.

Then Keegan comes in and makes him the Captain, not because he's the most suitable player for the job, but because he's fallen out with Owen in the past and he wants to make a public gesture that things are okay. Then when he reaches the final year of his contract, the club doesn't issue him with the sign or move ultimatum that is normal and sensible, because Wise and Keegan aren't working together properly and Keegan insists that he stays and we should try to sign him again on the same ridiculous terms that he'd never get anywhere else.

It's the club that has cocked this up. As many will know, I don't rate Owen the player but I've no problem with Owen the man.

yer, but everyone needs a scapegoat & michael owen is the most enjoyable one to choose cause he has the highest status basically

There isnt much reasoning going on beyond that.

Owen is now apparently setting his sights on a move to Liverpool and is waiting for the call from Rafa.

He knows they're skint and Rafa will have to scale down all his targets. One way or another, it looks like he'll be back in scouseland come August.