Retaining Players

Guest neesy111

Owen and Harper, Viduka is a very good player but his fitness record is poor.  Edgar started off well but hasn't really developed much and has possibly gone backwards.  As for the others, I'll be happy if I never see them play for us again.

People wanting to keep Edgar, even to sell, is just baffling. He's just a Championship-quality defender. Let Roeder take him on a free.

He may have been out of position away at West Ham, but his passing and general marking were just shocking. Funny to think that Bassong actually came on for him in the second half.

Guest Heneage

David Edgar is just living on hiss deflected Man Utd goal

True, he played well against Villa that season when he came on, but just let him go.

True, he played well against Villa that season when he came on, but just let him go.

I assume you mean West Ham? When Ramage got done for both opening goals and then he came on and looked class next to Huntington at CB? :lol:

Yes, he was good then. But he's at the age now when he needs to be much better to get into our team, and he really isn't. Too inconsistent really.

Guest Heneage

I assume you mean West Ham? When Ramage got done for both opening goals and then he came on and looked class next to Huntington at CB? :lol:

Yes, he was good then. But he's at the age now when he needs to be much better to get into our team, and he really isn't. Too inconsistent really.

No no I meant Villa, the 3-1 at home, Milner Sib and Dyer scoring if Memory serves?

No no I meant Villa, the 3-1 at home, Milner Sib and Dyer scoring if Memory serves?

I do remember the game, (was there) but I can't remember Edgar featuring. Where did he play, and how long was it for?

Guest Heneage

I do remember the game, (was there) but I can't remember Edgar featuring. Where did he play, and how long was it for?

Just checked stand corrected mate. I'm at a loss, in my head I can see him sliding it clear from the penalty box and its at night.

Guest Stephen927

I doubt Edgar will ever make it at this level tbh. Doesn't look like he has the bottle to impose himself on opposition defenders, always strikes me as a bit wimpy for want of a better word.

IMO we are converting too many of our young CBs into right backs (Edgar, Huntington, Ramage)

I don't think that was due to choice, it was down to the fact it was the only place they fitted into our team at the time. Ramage was already a kind-of full back anyway, but the other two played there mainly due to the fact we were down to bare bones.

Guest timmy boy

In an ideal world I would only really want to keep Harper and Owen but  I wouldn't be to confident in a successful squad overhaul next summer.We need another 3 or 4 players at the moment without releasing this lot in the summer. Say another 5 left we would need 8 next summer, not sure if I see that happening. It would probably be wise to offer Butt a one year extension and replace him in the first team but keep him as back up. Fitness permitting give Viduka another year on reduced terms especially if we lose Owen and Ameobi which will leave us with Martins up top.

Guest palnese

Viduka is great with ball at his feet but the days of him getting into the team regularly never mind a scoring position are long gone.

since when?

In an ideal world I would only really want to keep Harper and Owen but  I wouldn't be to confident in a successful squad overhaul next summer.We need another 3 or 4 players at the moment without releasing this lot in the summer. Say another 5 left we would need 8 next summer, not sure if I see that happening. It would probably be wise to offer Butt a one year extension and replace him in the first team but keep him as back up. Fitness permitting give Viduka another year on reduced terms especially if we lose Owen and Ameobi which will leave us with Martins up top.

IMO one striker of the right quality would replace both Viduka and Ameobi.  Edgar wouldn't need replacing because he's anonymous while Cacapa needs to be replaced anyway, whether we release him or not, he's just not good enough.

So I'd say that if we release nobody we need 3 to 4 players, and if we release all but Owen and Harper we meed 5 to 6 players.

Viduka is great with ball at his feet but the days of him getting into the team regularly never mind a scoring position are long gone.

since when?

What?

When has Viduka been great with the ball at his feet? Since I first saw him play for Celtic until now.

He wont be a starter for the team anymore, as I think his latest knock career threating if reports are believed will have taken the edge off him & he is not young enough to change his game now. Like Craig Moore he will go from PL with Newcastle to the Oz league.

since when?

What?

When has Viduka been great with the ball at his feet? Since I first saw him play for Celtic until now.

He wont be a starter for the team anymore, as I think his latest knock career threating if reports are believed will have taken the edge off him & he is not young enough to change his game now. Like Craig Moore he will go from PL with Newcastle to the Oz league.

To be honest, I don't think he's had any physical edge for years, its all upstairs so I don't see him needed to change his game.  I think he may be getting judged too quickly and he could be important for us for the rest of the season.  Obviously I agree we still can't renew his contract though, because he simply doesn't play enough.  Unless its basically pay per play as I've said before.

since when?

What?

To be honest, I don't think he's had any physical edge for years, its all upstairs so I don't see him needed to change his game.  I think he may be getting judged too quickly and he could be important for us for the rest of the season.  Obviously I agree we still can't renew his contract though, because he simply doesn't play enough.  Unless its basically pay per play as I've said before.

He wasnt Teddy Sheringham man, he used to have a nice burst of power. Of course he will have role to play we have so few players I am guessing we have not seen the last of Cacapa either.

I'd keep atleast three of them. Our squad is hardly in a position to be getting rid of a massive pile of players, especially when you add the club's position onto all of that. I'd preferably keep Harper, Butt, Owen and Viduka. On the basis that Nicky Butt would be a squad player, of course. We're light enough in midfield as it is.

You've got to remember that these are players we're going to have to replace. We don't know what position the club is going to be in come May. We don't know who the manager is going to be either. Hands up who wants to get rid of Enrique, Duff, Smith, etc aswell? That's more squad decrease. I bet you anything, if Ashley is still here, there won't be megabucks spent on the squad so we've got to tread carefully.

In reference to earlier arguments, Viduka is a seriously good player and i really question those who think otherwise. He's still a valuable asset to the squad because when he's fit, he scores - it's barely an issue for him.