Fantastic news!

Dave

The genius recruitment team can't find better midfielders than a 35 year old nicky butt? I'm so glad to have them at our club.

Man Utd have just given van der Sar a new contract...obviously their scouting team can't find a better first-choice 'keeper.

What is the point in this post? In terms of how good they are in their position. VDS is 10 times the player Butt is. Two completely different situations.

The genius recruitment team can't find better midfielders than a 35 year old nicky butt? I'm so glad to have them at our club.

Man Utd have just given van der Sar a new contract...obviously their scouting team can't find a better first-choice 'keeper.

I don't know why Manchester United feel the need to keep going on with Van Der Sar. He's been a liability this season and last.

But yeah your original point about keeping older reliable players is something I agree with.

That's not my point at all. I want to get rid of Butt.

My point was it's not just us and our management/scouts/etc, who give silly contracts to sh*t, over-the-hill players.

Well alright then :lol: But yeah, I wouldn't really want Butt playing next year either, but I don't really mind IF he's on the bench as experienced cover. I'm not going to use the offer of a new contract as some cheap crack at Wise though. Players that have actauly been transferred have been decent.

Are people seriously suggesting that Nicky Butt shouldn't be offered a new deal?

Have people seen our midfield options? I'd much rather Nicky Butt there than Cacapa.

Fact of the matter is, we can't really afford to let anyone from our midfield go at the moment, because we have a horrible lack of depth.

Guest The Libertine

What is the point in this post? In terms of how good they are in their position. VDS is 10 times the player Butt is. Two completely different situations.

VDS is becoming more and more of a liability by the week. we should replace butt and they should replace VDS.

Why offer these ddeals they can't go  anywhere till July.

c-cos they can agree deals to move (pre-contract) in j-january.

Excluding Owen, so ? Harper while a good keeper is backup I can't see him getting better offers. Butts past it and waiting to play alongside Gary Speed ,Shola the same.

they have offered owen a contract. harper will get picked up for a fee in excess of his re-sign fee and the risk woukld be to make a profit before they take outr too much wages,in the meantime they fill out a thin squad,butt and shola likewise.

Giving Butt a new contract doesn't mean we're not going to sign a new midfielder. The summer Shearer got his last one-year contract we spent £16m on Michael Owen.

Aye, I can really see Mike Ashley sanctioning that one. :lol:

offering contracts to butt,shola,owen,harper....all have salebale value

not offering contracts to edgar,cacapa etc......who no-one would want to buy (you'd only get edgars signing on fee as his transfer fee)

makes sense to me as i don't think many will take up the offer as the contracts wont have much of an improvment in them.

Good, rightly they shouldn't. Butt has done f*** all to warrant an improved contract.

done more than guthrie this season imo and with a thin squad maybe it makes sense to try and keep those with a saleable value.

Personally don't agree with that but each to their own. I think Guthrie has become an important member of our first team and I'd sooner see him in the starting XI than Butt.

not offering contracts to edgar,cacapa etc......who no-one would want to buy (you'd only get edgars signing on fee as his transfer fee)

makes sense to me as i don't think many will take up the offer as the contracts wont have much of an improvment in them.

Good, rightly they shouldn't. Butt has done f*** all to warrant an improved contract.

done more than guthrie this season imo and with a thin squad maybe it makes sense to try and keep those with a saleable value.

Personally don't agree with that but each to their own. I think Guthrie has become an important member of our first team and I'd sooner see him in the starting XI than Butt.

we'll disagree then

I think that Guthrie, Barton, and another midfielder could definitely be a good foundation in midfield.

Guest The Libertine

Giving Butt a new contract doesn't mean we're not going to sign a new midfielder. The summer Shearer got his last one-year contract we spent £16m on Michael Owen.

:lol: :lol: modric  :lol: :lol:

What, him that plays for Spurs?

Thing is, even this summer, Newcastle was not a desirable destination at all. This problem has only been exacerbated.

Guest The Libertine

poor backtrack.

poor backtrack.

Did you reply to the wrong post there?

The thought of us possibly watching Butt and Shola next season is almost a fate worse than death, they are terrible footballers and part of the reason we're 4th bottom.

We need to get rid of these players if we're going to move on.

The thought of us possibly watching Butt and Shola next season is almost a fate worse than death, they are terrible footballers and part of the reason we're 4th bottom.

We need to get rid of these players if we're going to move on.

we also dont want to get rid of players for nowt if we can get fees for them (taking into account wages etc).

i still think butt's problem is similar to when he first came here...no movement=no options for him to pass.

Guest The Libertine

poor backtrack.

Did you reply to the wrong post there?

keep digging.

Yeah because he was also trying to sell the club last January when he put up the money for that deal.

Guest The Libertine

Yeah because he was also trying to sell the club last January when he put up the money for that deal.

and now the fans are pissed because he wont spend after they've basically driven him out?

flawless logic.

It's more the whole "yeah right, as if Mike Ashley would ever do that" (spend big money on one player) comment. It's just nonsense generally. I'm hardly an Ashley fanboy but to say he hasn't been willing to spend big on a player is cobblers. Coloccini is proof of that and it was made public that we bid big money for Modric. More than Spurs did iirc.

It's more the whole "yeah right, as if Mike Ashley would ever do that" (spend big money on one player) comment. It's just nonsense generally. I'm hardly an Ashley fanboy but to say he hasn't been willing to spend big on a player is cobblers. Coloccini is proof of that and it was made public that we bid big money for Modric. More than Spurs did iirc.

This.

We've broken the club record for a full-back and a centre-back under him.

and now the fans are pissed because he wont spend after they've basically driven him out?

flawless logic.

He wasn't spending anyway. That's why Nicky Butt is still a first teamer.

flawless logic.

He wasn't spending anyway. That's why Nicky Butt is still a first teamer.

Butt is still a first-teamer because £6m was spunked on Alan Smith with the Dyer money rather than an actual midfielder.