Only person who thinks the ref did well on the pen?

Slim

Obviously, yes. But what if the offense starts at point A and continues to point B so it is still the original infringement and not a new one? As I saw it Bassong kept hold of Heskey until he was in the penalty box and then Heskey dived.

You can hardly count every seperate tug on a shirt as a different foul. It's a different situation to Bassong tugging his shirt, letting him run 8 yards and then doing it again.

I'd have to see it again but to my memory even though it wasn't in the box it was still last man so Bassong would have got the red card.

Heskey was fouled outside of the box in the lead up as flagged by the assistant referee, but the play was allowed to continue due to the advantage. When Heskey fell the advantage was lost so play should have been brought back to the original foul. The reason this didn't happen was because the ref saw the fall from Heskey as a continuation of the original foul and not a loss of advantage, therefore a penalty was given.

There you go Mowen.

to be fair heskey was pulled back constantly for about 20yds so the ref could have pulled it up at any point. at no point after entering the box did bassong do anything likely to stop heskey proceding.

Exactly, it was the wrong decision. Play should have been brought back to the original impedance.

Whether it was a red or not is another matter but as I remember it he was the last defender so it was in all probability a red card. I'd have to see it again though.

there was defo a pull just outside the box aswell. the ref coyuld have done it then had he wanted. the ref can pull it back to whichever foul he sees fit.whichever one he thinks will give most advantage to the team fouled against.

But once he's done that, should Heskey still get booked for diving, or does it go overlooked?

One thing that's always seemed strange to me is that if the last defender takes the guy down he's deemed the last man and a red is given.

But then a keeper can take someone down as he goes by, then gets a yellow because there's a defender back on the line to cover.

Surely beating a goalkeeper 1 on 1 is a tougher task than having just a defender on the line to beat? (unless it's Steven Taylor, obviously)

Always think a penalty is enough in those situations anyway, a red card and a penalty at the same time is  too much. Unless the foul is cynical, but often a defender or keeper just gets to a 50-50 ball a moment late and as a result his team both lose a man and most likely lose a goal too.

It was a blatent foul outside the box which he didn't go down for. Let's say Bassong was pulling the shirt at 100%

In the box he touched him something which equates to around 5%.

Without 100% outside he doesn't go down, 5% inside he does.

A blatant dive in the box, at an angle where it wasn't a definite goalscoring opportunity, it should have been taken back to the original foul, Bassong may well have been shown red anyway as he was pulling him back when clean through. However never should have been a penalty AND a red. Shocking decision.

One thing that's always seemed strange to me is that if the last defender takes the guy down he's deemed the last man and a red is given.

But then a keeper can take someone down as he goes by, then gets a yellow because there's a defender back on the line to cover.

Surely beating a goalkeeper 1 on 1 is a tougher task than having just a defender on the line to beat? (unless it's Steven Taylor, obviously)

Always think a penalty is enough in those situations anyway, a red card and a penalty at the same time is  too much. Unless the foul is cynical, but often a defender or keeper just gets to a 50-50 ball a moment late and as a result his team both lose a man and most likely lose a goal too.

It's a red card if you're stopping an obvious goalscoring opportunity.. so straight on at goal with no-one but the keeper to beat. With a player on the line there's doubt in the outcome and so the opportunity is no longer 'obvious'.

What I don't get is how it all took so long. The linesman was flagging as though his life depended on it about halfway into our half. The referee allowed Heskey to be virtually in the box before he acknowledged that he was allowing advantage, by which time the linesman was hopelessly out of position. So what happens in the event of an offside situation coming into play? The referee just guesses?

IMO

• No clue about offside
  • Bassong fouled him 30yards out, advantage was played. Probably a red card offense.
  • Heskey probably fouled Bassong after that for a while
  • Bassong fouled Heskey in box. Heskey dived something rotten, but was fouled.

So I think it should've been a NUFC, with Bassong sent off!.. Either that or the decision that was made was correct, as if Heskey didn't foul Bassong, it was the right decision. Ooooh, or well, more likely... An offside!

Of course this doesnt take away from the blatant face-punch Kirkland made on Carroll, or the Pen that wasn't when Carroll was pancaked late on.