West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Thump 1892

He didn't release this. It's a standard interview with the official club site. He doesn't get to control when it gets released.

come on man, when do you think the first interview after a player signs up with a new club is released? End of 2011? I know Carroll doesn't have PhD from Harvard but surely he knows that much.

He is right in the sense that he basically reads from a script.  The press officer tells them what to say, how happy they are to be at such a huge club etc., and then say "just run with it lad!  You'll be fine!"

Either that or football players have an extremely limited vocabulary.

Anyone still believe that the cunt didn't want to go?

Exactly mate, these conspiracy theories are cringeworthy. He's a mercenary cunt who doesnt give two fucks about Newcastle, simple as that.

Exactly. The bloke still has family in Newcastle and will obviously be coming back at some stage to 'ride' a few lasses - the text malarky was nothing more than an effort to save face and, in my opinion, has done more harm to the club he supposedly 'loves' by giving rise to some of these ridiculous conspiracy theories.

If he really loved the club he'd shut the fuck up and stop trying to stir the shit.

Its all about how the money is spend now though (if it is all used on transfers, which I highly doubt). If we go out and buy 4 or 5 good players with it then it might turn out to be a good deal. Imagine the money getting wasted the way Souness used all that money in 2005? Does anyone have confidence in Pardew to spend the money properly? Hughton I would have been after the success in his signings as manager. Its pissed me off though because regardless of who he plays for, he is easily my favourite striker around. Just like when Shearer was at Blackburn, I f***ing loved his game, and the same goes for Carroll, and we actually had him at such an age as well. He's a monster of a player.

It's obvious that Pardew has little say in transfer comings and goings. I think Pardew is the first 'non-manager' we have ever had. The players seem to be managing themselves and he is just a figurehead to be wheeled out at press conferences. Just as Fat Mike wants it.

Pardew is just part of Mike's entourage, he doesn't have any gravitas, credibility or say in anything that goes on.

Scary really.

The thing that hurts the most for me is thinking about who is going to be number 9 next. With Carroll we had someone who we believed loved the club and loved wearing the number 9 and most importantly for me was a Geordie and apparently knew what it meant. Unfortunately I cant see another Alan shearer coming along anytime soon. Devastated that Carroll has left but there was a club before him and there will be a club long after him.

Guest Thump 1892

I hate to stir the pot do you lot reckon he would have left had Hoots still been at the helm?  It'd be interesting to see that alternate reality.

It's obvious that Pardew has little say in transfer comings and goings. I think Pardew is the first 'non-manager' we have ever had. The players seem to be managing themselves and he is just a figurehead to be wheeled out at press conferences. Just as Fat Mike wants it.

Pardew is just part of Mike's entourage, he doesn't have any gravitas, credibility or say in anything that goes on.

Scary really.

:facepalm:

As much of a 'non-manager' as Joe Kinnear. Dear oh dear.

The manner in which people make these suppositions is truly baffling.

In all of this guys, don't forget (I almost had) that our info was that Pardew was given the very specific responsibility of reducing the wage bill as a condition of his employment, as MA feels that a lower cost base will now make the club easier to sell.

The thing that hurts the most for me is thinking about who is going to be number 9 next. With Carroll we had someone who we believed loved the club and loved wearing the number 9 and most importantly for me was a Geordie and apparently knew what it meant. Unfortunately I cant see another Alan shearer coming along anytime soon. Devastated that Carroll has left but there was a club before him and there will be a club long after him.

Just shows the whole local lad thing is bollocks.

Buy a good foreigner and give him the shirt, makes nee different anymore.

I don't think you can blame Carroll for going to the bigger club with more chance of success for a bigger contract. Similarly you can't really blame Ashley for taking one of the biggest deals in football history - even more so if the reported clauses take this up to £40m.

However some are acting as if Carroll's forced the club to sell him. But it's clear that the club were interested in doing a deal early yesterday, negotiating in private all day, cancelling press conferences and even trying to start an auction by releasing the £30m figure after Liverpool bid £25m. This deal would've happened whether or not Carroll had requested a transfer. That simply seems like the result of brinksmanship on the part of Ashley/Llambias which was successful. On one hand it's probably saved us some money, on the other it demonstrates their ruthlessness.

Ultimately the issue isn't so much Ashley taking the cash, nor Carroll leaving/putting in a request, but asking why we're in a situation where Liverpool can take our talisman and best player. There's no doubt in my mind that in the summer or next January we'll be having this exact same conversation, with the same mongs defending Ashley and attacking the departing player (as if that were even the crux of the matter), much like when Milner, N'Zogbia, Given and Bassong left. Only the player we're discussing won't be Carroll but someone like Enrique, Tiote, Barton or Ben Arfa.

Good post Johnny. Our best hope is that Ashley does actually have some ambition for our club & simply couldnt turn down such a huge offer. Not sure thats to likely, but its our best hope if we're to get anywhere atall.

We're run by a pair of cunts, we'll never go anywhere under Ashley and Llambias. Carroll being sold was the "big one" once they got rid of Hughton and I have absolutely zero faith that the money will be re-invested. Pardew has done alright and speaks well but he knows the score really and is complient with whats going on above so even if he comes across well I just dont believe anything he says.

Who is next out of the door, Tiote?

In all of this guys, don't forget (I almost had) that our info was that Pardew was given the very specific responsibility of reducing the wage bill as a condition of his employment, as MA feels that a lower cost base will now make the club easier to sell.

The wage bill will keep reducing as higher earners get to the end of their contract and aren't renewed (e.g Smith) or are shipped out (Xisco). I would say that a club with Carroll in it would be a more attractive sales proposition than one without though.

We're run by a pair of cunts, we'll never go anywhere under Ashley and Llambias. Carroll being sold was the "big one" once they got rid of Hughton and I have absolutely zero faith that the money will be re-invested. Pardew has done alright and speaks well but he knows the score really and is complient with whats going on above so even if he comes across well I just dont believe anything he says.

Who is next out of the door, Tiote?

Bingo 10 million in summer.

I suspect the Ashley apologists will just ignore this

I don't think you can blame Carroll for going to the bigger club with more chance of success for a bigger contract. Similarly you can't really blame Ashley for taking one of the biggest deals in football history - even more so if the reported clauses take this up to £40m.

However some are acting as if Carroll's forced the club to sell him. But it's clear that the club were interested in doing a deal early yesterday, negotiating in private all day, cancelling press conferences and even trying to start an auction by releasing the £30m figure after Liverpool bid £25m. This deal would've happened whether or not Carroll had requested a transfer. That simply seems like the result of brinksmanship on the part of Ashley/Llambias which was successful. On one hand it's probably saved us some money, on the other it demonstrates their ruthlessness.

Ultimately the issue isn't so much Ashley taking the cash, nor Carroll leaving/putting in a request, but asking why we're in a situation where Liverpool can take our talisman and best player. There's no doubt in my mind that in the summer or next January we'll be having this exact same conversation, with the same mongs defending Ashley and attacking the departing player (as if that were even the crux of the matter), much like when Milner, N'Zogbia, Given and Bassong left. Only the player we're discussing won't be Carroll but someone like Enrique, Tiote, Barton or Ben Arfa.

Hopefully this time next year, all of Enrique, Tiote, Barton, Ben Arfa and Colo will still be here. And hopefully they will want to stay cause we have a better team than what we have now. Hopefully the Carroll money can help us achieve that, and make this a team they want to stay at, and a team players would want to join. (I actually think the mentioned players want to stay here already ... )

aye you basically called all of this happening even when Hughton was in charge. Be interesting to see what happens with Barton and Enrique's contracts. I reckon there's a chance Barton will sign a reduced deal to come into effect after his current one is over, if only cos he'll know with his reputation that he'll never get one that size again.

I suspect the club would prefer to shift on Colo but i doubt even with his form this season that there's many clubs willing or able to pay his reportedly high wages.

"When I knew [Liverpool's interest] was real and that there was a chance for me to come here I knew it was a great opportunity and I had to take it," Carroll told the club's official website.

"Liverpool is a big club which is going places and this is a chance to show what I can do. What I did at Newcastle has got me here and now I have to carry it on with Liverpool. from skysports

Ofcourse I understand that this is what you have to say when you just signed for a new club but, didn't he just say a couple of hours ago that he never wanted to leave us?

Kind of sending out mixed signals here Carroll.  :idiot2:

Carroll is even more worthy of blame because he knew very well what the board were like and what they were capable with regards to ripping the team apart. He was there 2 years ago when players leaving in January cost us dear, and he's been there ever since. He made those comments and commitments about what he wanted to do at NUFC.

Even with all that he jumped ship at the first real opportunity. Disgusting.

Guest neesy111

I suspect the Ashley apologists will just ignore this

I suspect those against ashley will no doubt come back with the line ashley will pocket the money into his back pocket.

"It's a great feeling. The No.9 is a big number and the one I wanted. To get it at Liverpool is a great feeling.

"Liverpool is a massive club and it's nice to be wanted by a club like this, never mind turning up and being here with everyone around.

Just fuck off you mersey-nary  twat.