West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Just to qualify what I was saying last night about Carroll going to anyone who comes in with a big bid.

I don't want the club to sell him and if the club was being run by different people then selling him wouldn't be an option, he'd be the one to build the team around. However we all know who's calling the shots and I honestly believe that he'll be sold sooner rather than later to the highest bidder. And there isn't a damn thing we can do about it. Newcastle is Ashley's plaything and he's proved numerous times that he doesn't give a fuck about the uproar his barmy decisions cause. I'm expecting him to be hawked around Europe's top clubs and he'll go this summer.

Who has Ashley actually sold? His bad decisions have been about managers or wage caps, not about keeping players that will keep us in the division.

Fully agree. If he is here at the start of next season ill be very suprised. Especially if he goes on to get another 6-8 prem goals.

We arent in a position to reject bids of £30 mil + for any player. Just need to hope that at least £20 mil of it is put back into the team.

Just to qualify what I was saying last night about Carroll going to anyone who comes in with a big bid.

I don't want the club to sell him and if the club was being run by different people then selling him wouldn't be an option, he'd be the one to build the team around. However we all know who's calling the shots and I honestly believe that he'll be sold sooner rather than later to the highest bidder. And there isn't a damn thing we can do about it. Newcastle is Ashley's plaything and he's proved numerous times that he doesn't give a fuck about the uproar his barmy decisions cause. I'm expecting him to be hawked around Europe's top clubs and he'll go this summer.

Who has Ashley actually sold? His bad decisions have been about managers or wage caps, not about keeping players that will keep us in the division.

He's never had a player as valuable as Carroll to sell though. 

Fully agree. If he is here at the start of next season ill be very suprised. Especially if he goes on to get another 6-8 prem goals.

We arent in a position to reject bids of £30 mil + for any player. Just need to hope that at least £20 mil of it is put back into the team.

We are in every position in the world to reject £ 30 mil for one of the most exciting talents in English football with a five year contract. 

We are in every position in the world to reject £ 30 mil for one of the most exciting talents in English football with a five year contract. 

even if the player decides he wants to leave ?

I don't want the club to sell him and if the club was being run by different people then selling him wouldn't be an option, he'd be the one to build the team around. However we all know who's calling the shots and I honestly believe that he'll be sold sooner rather than later to the highest bidder. And there isn't a damn thing we can do about it. Newcastle is Ashley's plaything and he's proved numerous times that he doesn't give a f*** about the uproar his barmy decisions cause. I'm expecting him to be hawked around Europe's top clubs and he'll go this summer.

Any club outside the elite clubs who has an asset like Carroll will probably sell if someone offers crazy money. Look at Rooney to Man Utd, Milner to Man City, even our very own Woodgate to Real Madrid.

Let's not make this another anti-Ashley thread because no matter who the chairman was, if a club offered something mental for him, they'd more than likely look closely at it.

I don't want the club to sell him and if the club was being run by different people then selling him wouldn't be an option, he'd be the one to build the team around. However we all know who's calling the shots and I honestly believe that he'll be sold sooner rather than later to the highest bidder. And there isn't a damn thing we can do about it. Newcastle is Ashley's plaything and he's proved numerous times that he doesn't give a f*** about the uproar his barmy decisions cause. I'm expecting him to be hawked around Europe's top clubs and he'll go this summer.

Any club outside the elite clubs who has an asset like Carroll will probably sell if someone offers crazy money. Look at Rooney to Man Utd, Milner to Man City, even our very own Woodgate to Real Madrid.

Let's not make this another anti-Ashley thread because no matter who the chairman was, if a club offered something mental for him, they'd more than likely look closely at it.

Fair point. :thup:

I just think Ashley is even more likely than most chairmen/owners to flog him. He won't think twice about doing it.

Both.

You are probably right on the second account because we are seen as a below average Premiership club who just got promoted, but there are quite a few better strikers (non English) that would be valued at below 30M. Carrol is good and has age on his side but by no means is he a world class striker, let alone a finished product.

Disagree. This season, Carroll has been a world class striker. He's got 11 goals and 3 assists (and IIRC, that's not counting Sholas second in the derby and Bartons vs Liverpool) in 18 games in the league so far, and on top of that, he's winning pretty much everything in the air and I'd say that no defender that we've faced so far has been able to cope with him.

I guess we will just disagree then, coz I don't rate him as a world class striker at all, and maybe it boils down to what we each mean by 'world class'. His is very much a one dimensional striker, though admittedly world class in that area. Despite some strikes with his feet, he has neither displayed enough skills to be an effective dribbler nor does he have the right technique to control the ball in tight situations  and strike the ball from distance consistently. Carroll is excellent in the air, probably one of the best in terms of scoring, lay off and just generally winning the ball in the air but to me a world class striker is like Drogba, or Rooney and Torres (before this season) and Carrol is at least two notches below them at the moment. A world class striker also should be tested over time and be capable of scoring 20ish goals per season consistently over a few seasons.  Shearer pre injury was world class.

He might one day be a world class striker but for that to happen he has to consistently develop his overall game and not just depend on his strength in the air. You will find that both Hughton and Pardew would agree with the view that Carroll still has lots to learn, so I'm not quite sure how you can say that he is already world class.

Yes he probably should get Young Player of the Year Award if he performs in the 2nd half of the season but ironically winning that award itself would imply that he has the potential to be the world class but not yet.

Of course they would, and there's no point expecting any different.

If the buying club offers big transfer money (first part) and they offer the player stupid wages (more important), the player will be unsettled and will eventually be off.

It is the most annoying, disheartening thing about football these days. It is pretty much impossible to build anything organically - it was always very difficult, nowadays it is actually not possible.

even if the player decides he wants to leave ?

That has nothing to do with the amount of money we get offered.

I don't think he'd sell for his market value. I think £30m or close to the British transfer record is what he'd take. Don't think he'd even look at less than £25m.

Carroll committed to Magpies

Pardew confident striker will not be sold in January

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6619066,00.html

You could possibly argue that Pardew is just keeping Carroll's feet on the ground but if you read the interview, he pretty much said what I was commenting above. That Carroll is exceptional in one part of his game but still has got to develop the other areas and is therefore not yet world class. 

A guess, but 30 million less a million or two for possible personality problems should be the going rate.

He's scored against Arsenal, Chelsea, Citeh, Liverpool (well), and was in position to miss a sitter against ManUre.

PFA Young Player of the Year?

The award is supposed to be biased towards the first half of the season isn't it? Bale is fantastic but has been hot and cold, Walcott hasn't been his best. Anyone I haven't considered?

Wilshere and Nasri.

Still don't offer the consistency of Carroll though.

Nasri hasn't been consistent this season? I honestly question if you actually watch football sometimes.

NUT and midds are spot on here like.

People are bitter to suggest that only Ashley would do this. Fact is, in this market, if you get offered enough for your big stars then you accept the bid. Whether you're Newcastle United or Real Madrid.