West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Even for 30m it would be mad to sell Carroll. How much does it cost to find a striker who can potentially score 20 prem goals? And why sign the likes of Ben Arfa if you're then going to then sell Carroll as the potential for carnage on the pitch between the two of them is awesome. It would go completely against Ashley's self professed plan of bringing through youth and building a team around them. I have no doubt Carroll will go at some point if he continues playing like he is but surely he and Newcastle would benefit from atleast a few more years together before he finally moves on.

This is Ashley however so logic doesn't count I guess............ :facepalm:

there is the cost of replacement- plus the increased revenues from more TV coverage, higher league position, higher club profile, sponsorship- when you have the England forward in your team.

Someone said a while ago that everything Ashley's done was with long-term money-saving in mind.

Selling Carroll would mean relegation.  That, last season, meant a £40m loss with Ashley pumping money in every week to keep us afloat.

That means for Carroll's sale to make business sense, the offer would have to be over £50m.

The only people capable of offering that would be Man City, and you could demand £70m in that case.  They're not going to pay that for Carroll, not yet anyway.

No need to panic.  Ashley won't sell because the long-term loss of revenue outweighs the short-term benefit.

Hmm, signing Ben Arfa long term could mean Carroll is on his way to Spurs.

Wasn't he seen together with Tevez  a while back as well, another player who turned on his true fans and went to a rival.

by seen do you mean arriving at the same shopping centre shortly after one another and idiot journalist jumping to conclusions?

Wasn't he seen together with Tevez  a while back as well, another player who turned on his true fans and went to a rival.

:fishing: Make it a challenge, man.

Ashley must also know that "surely" that Carroll means bums on seats at St James. Sell him and it will be the final straw for many.

Sadly, there's been about twenty final straws over the last few years.  People will calm down and go back.

Not saying they should, but they will.

Guest GeordieBatistuta

by seen do you mean arriving at the same shopping centre shortly after one another and idiot journalist jumping to conclusions?

And didn't the journo say that they were spotted together shopping on Christmas Day or something ridiculous.

Carroll ain't leaving yet.

I'm not feeling good about this. But I stand with what I said previously, 30M and reinvest them all back into the team and we have a deal.

That would be absolutely insane.

There's no price I would sell Carroll for right now - our main guarantee against relegation, local lad and future England star, unplayable on his day, etc etc.

There's no profit to be had in selling Carroll at this point, and I still think he's not going anywhere. It's just the usual transfer window speculation.

I'm not feeling good about this. But I stand with what I said previously, 30M and reinvest them all back into the team and we have a deal.

There's no price I would sell Carroll for right now - our main guarantee against relegation, local lad and future England star, unplayable on his day, etc etc.

There's no profit to be had in selling Carroll at this point, and I still think he's not going anywhere. It's just the usual transfer window speculation.

Yeah, it's all 'very much speculation'.

Well ya we would be relegated if we didn't replace him, that's why I said I agree only if the 30M will be reinvested to strengthen the team all over. Carrol has massive potential but he is far from the finish product. It is the Geordie hero part that is making us overestimate his ability. We can get a better non English striker for 20M.

Agreed. Providing he wants to stay we've got him on a long term contract, so as long as he keeps progressing he should only become more valuable in the next few years, and hopefully the club can progress along with him.

I would be far more upset about us selling Andy Carroll than our other players as I can accept that other players would not have the emotional attachment to the club and would be using it as a stepping stone in their career.  However, this is a local lad who loves the club and to whom the number 9 means something and who has another 15 years ahead of him.  Why can't we enjoy him for a couple of years.

Well ya we would be relegated if we didn't replace him, that's why I said I agree only if the 30M will be reinvested to strengthen the team all over. Carrol has massive potential but he is far from the finish product. It is the Geordie hero part that is making us overestimate his ability. We can get a better non English striker for 20M.

Disagree, I've heard many impartial commentators talk about him as a future star, people with nothing to do with NUFC and who usually spend their time criticising us.

Yes, we could stay up if we bought £30m pounds-worth of average players, but to achieve anything approaching success or progress we need to retain players like Carroll. Actually, there are no players like Carroll, so we need to keep him specifically!

Spurs and everyone else can pretty much fuck off, I really don't think Carroll would even move, and if we did we would need another striker who could score at least 20 goals a season, and has proven it in the Premiership. That would be hard to find for £30m, and considering the wages it would take to bring whoever it was here in anyway.

Let's not forget, a few years ago Spurs were well behind us.

It's all very well talking about Carroll joining a more successful club, but if we keep making signings like Ben Arfa, Tiote, Enrique and Colo we will be back on their level in a few years. It's at least a possibility, and a strong motivating factor to keep our best players.

Why would Carroll wanna play for Spurs? The only other club i can see him playing for must be Real Madrid or something like that.

Selling Carroll would be a statement of no intent. That for the players we are looking to sign, and have given long term contracts to would be devastating.

For the future of this club, we cannot sell Carroll.