West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's very simple how it works.  both are likely equally full of truths and mistruths.  Watch a presidential debate.  It's a matter of being selective with the data.  I don't think anybody's intentions were constructively interfering with what is best for the club.  I think Carroll was not unhappy to leave when he found out how much Liverpool was offering.  He could have been pressured to leave.  But forced out?  I don't think so.  I think the club was ecstatic to get that much for him, even though they didn't have a Plan B.

The world is rarely black and white, even in the club's case.

Even if Carroll was completely desperate to leave, I find it hilarious that folk are prepared to absolve Ashley of any blame whatsoever.

I don't get what more could be done though? Carroll, presumably, wanted us to match Liverpool's wages. Damn right we refused and ended up getting a colossal fee in compensation for a pretty massive loss. The fact we rejected previous bids showed to me that no one at the club wanted him to go. The Ashley cartoon that people have constructed would have accepted the first bid of £23m.

Even if Carroll was completely desperate to leave, I find it hilarious that folk are prepared to absolve Ashley of any blame whatsoever.

Well said, man.  How many times are we going to be fooled by reassurances?  When it comes to this, a few normally very intelligent poster suddenly experience a vacation of cognitive functions.  It just shows how stupid wishful thinking can be.  Hence a bunch of assholes making Rhonda Byrne a very rich Australian tart for her dogshit Secret.

Guest MrSundlofer

Changed my mind a hundred times about this.

= We shouldn't have sold a key player on deadline-day without replacing him. And if Carroll really wanted to stay and play his football here, he should have rejected the offer from Liverpool.

I don't get what more could be done though? Carroll, presumably, wanted us to match Liverpool's wages. Damn right we refused and ended up getting a colossal fee in compensation for a pretty massive loss. The fact we rejected previous bids showed to me that no one at the club wanted him to go. The Ashley cartoon that people have constructed would have accepted the first bid of £23m.

Reject the bid and refuse to let him go?????

Well said, man.  How many times are we going to be fooled by reassurances?  When it comes to this, a few normally very intelligent poster suddenly experience a vacation of cognitive functions.  It just shows how stupid wishful thinking can be.  Hence a bunch of assholes making Rhonda Byrne a very rich Australian tart for her dogshit Secret.

Who is absolving him of all blame like?

Obviously he wasn't devastated to get £35m for Carroll.

I don't get what more could be done though? Carroll

Tell him to fuck off and wait till the summer.

Carroll doesn't exactly look thrilled to be at Lpool.

They're just photographs but there's a point to what you're saying. I'm sure, in an ideal world for him, Carroll would still be at Newcastle with the £90k a week contract (or whatever) he's currently sat on at Liverpool.

Tell him to fuck off and wait till the summer.

What would that have achieved? Postponing the inevitable, as well as the transfer fee potentially decreasing? Meanwhile we've got a high-profile player unhappy at the club.

Tell him to f*** off and wait till the summer.

What would that have achieved? Postponing the inevitable, as well as the transfer fee potentially decreasing? Meanwhile we've got a high-profile player unhappy at the club.

And a PL standard striker in the squad.

So what?  Give him a new contract when he earns it not when he demands it.  Why would his value have gone down?

And a PL standard striker in the squad.

Who we've won games without. We're not going to get relegated so there would be literally no point waiting until the summer to sell him.

His price tag would drop and we'd have an unhappy player on the books. The latter which would most likely chip away at the sublime team spirit we currently have.

Assuming Carroll's the guilty party in all this, which i firmly believe to be true, it couldn't have been orchestrated any better from our end imo.

a striker who can put the ball in the back of the net against opposition other than the mackems for one.  Or is this the time where Ameobi becomes that 20 goal a season striker, instead of what we have become accustomed to: the 20 goal an epoch striker?

We had a genuine chance of finishing top half with Carroll in the team.  This squad may well surprise me (they already have), but now I would take 15th.

So what?  Give him a new contract when he earns it not when he demands it. Why would his value have gone down?

Liverpool were gonna offer him it then and there. There's no way he wasn't gonna end the month without the contract he wanted.