West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Im sure this has come up, so apologies if it has.

How good does AC need to be over the next, say....6 years, to justify his price?

Look at guys like David Villa who have done it for a long time. AC was more expensive than him.

How many goals would consider it good business?

How many goals would consider him a flop?

I say 15 a season for next 6-10 seasons would be the PAR. Above is success, below is failure.

Thoughts?

if they win the league or CL when he's a regular in their team it's a success - that's how success is judged these days, not what the individual does imo

Agree with this. I wouldn't see Carroll primarily as a goalscorer, though he should get a few. His power in the air should create a few chances for his team mates, and he'd also act as a very good target man.

However, looking at the very very top sides, they don't usually play with a big, gangly striker like Carroll. It's a question of whether Carroll can be so good at what he does, that he overcomes his natural limitations.

Sadly he is going to be a great success. We, of all people know what a good player he has become.

Selling him has laid down a marker to our other players with ambition that they cannot hang around here to get it next season.

The Carrol sale will have triggered the departure of others with European aspirations I am afraid.

If a local lad is not prepared to 'live the dream' on Tyneside we can hardly expect foreigners to do it.

Still fail to see who's going to put those crosses for him at Liverpool. Guess it will be winger shopping time in the summer.

agree with that, seems a signing just made on a whim rather than real research into what type of player he is (though anyone with a vague notion about football could tell you how he works)

Still fail to see who's going to put those crosses for him at Liverpool. Guess it will be winger shopping time in the summer.

agree with that, seems a signing just made on a whim rather than real research into what type of player he is (though anyone with a vague notion about football could tell you how he works)

Gerrard will pump the long and high ball up through the middle and Carroll will knock down. He's a support striker for Suarez not a main focus like he was for us. If they ever do go down the winger route they've got the perfect reason to do so.

Guest EastEndGeordie

Sadly he is going to be a great success. We, of all people know what a good player he has become.

Selling him has laid down a marker to our other players with ambition that they cannot hang around here to get it next season.

The Carrol sale will have triggered the departure of others with European aspirations I am afraid.

If a local lad is not prepared to 'live the dream' on Tyneside we can hardly expect foreigners to do it.

No I have to disagree, look at all of his goals, who gets invloved? Barton and Nolan, without them he's quite literally nothing.

They've got Gerrard and Meirelles tbf, both have exelent passing ability, Glen Johnson despite been fucking rubbish defensively is exelent going forward and can whip a ball in. Although he won't be the talisman upfront like he was at Newcastle he has a much better striker partner in Suarez, as hard as it is to take he will more than likely be a huge success at Liverpool, and will continue to dominate most defenses he comes across. The fucking greasy slag.

Guest EastEndGeordie

They've got Gerrard and Meirelles tbf, both have exelent passing ability, Glen Johnson despite been f***ing rubbish defensively is exelent going forward and can whip a ball in. Although he won't be the talisman upfront like he was at Newcastle he has a much better striker partner in Suarez, as hard as it is to take he will more than likely be a huge success at Liverpool, and will continue to dominate most defenses he comes across. The f***ing greasy slag.

Please lets focus on the negatives  :lol:

He has never dominated defences unless Barton and Nolan are also doing the same. BTW I do honestly believe that after Liverpools draw with Wigan the bubble has burst and they'll be crap from here on in. Every team is good for a while when they get a new manager before going back to being crap.

I reckon I almost qualify as an ITK.

Was at a Liverpool talk in yesterday with Dalglish and Hansen - Dalglish said that the deal for Carroll was agreed on Sunday night.  Apparently we then upped the price on Monday after we saw all the press on it and on Torres.  So Liverpool upped their price for Torres from Chelsea.

LFC's owner has already confirmed the deal was done 24 hours before Ashley 'accepted' Carrolls request and reluctantly accepted LFC's bid. LFC's owner knew the price Chelsea would need to pay for Torres would be £15m more than NUFC wanted for Carroll so they could balance the books with the £6m they made off the other centre forward  they sold (who's name escapes me) Carroll and the bloke from Holland for torres.

Link? :)

I reckon I almost qualify as an ITK.

Was at a Liverpool talk in yesterday with Dalglish and Hansen - Dalglish said that the deal for Carroll was agreed on Sunday night.  Apparently we then upped the price on Monday after we saw all the press on it and on Torres.  So Liverpool upped their price for Torres from Chelsea.

LFC's owner has already confirmed the deal was done 24 hours before Ashley 'accepted' Carrolls request and reluctantly accepted LFC's bid. LFC's owner knew the price Chelsea would need to pay for Torres would be £15m more than NUFC wanted for Carroll so they could balance the books with the £6m they made off the other centre forward  they sold (who's name escapes me) Carroll and the bloke from Holland for torres.

Link? :)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/feb/04/john-w-henry-interview-liverpool

Guest toonlass

I think it will take a long, long time before I emotionality can start watching him again. Feel terrible of just the though :sadnod:

I felt awful when I first saw Shay Given in a Man City shirt, now it makes me laugh to see the greedy bastard on the bench