West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wullie, no snipe intended: can you not understand at all why the owner of NUFC at this point in time would decide that £35m would be too good to turn down, or do you just not care about the financial aspect either way?

I'm a football supporter. I don't get any pleasure or interest whatsoever out of someone else's bank account.

Football players aren't bought with pixie dust and dreams, you kna?

Wullie, no snipe intended: can you not understand at all why the owner of NUFC at this point in time would decide that £35m would be too good to turn down, or do you just not care about the financial aspect either way?

I'm a football supporter. I don't get any pleasure or interest whatsoever out of someone else's bank account.

No, they're bought with the money we got for Bassong, Milner, N'Zogbia, Given, Martins, Duff, Beye and years of season ticket money without a mortgage.

Why is Carroll the only player whose transfer fee we're allowed to spend?

No doubt you'll translate that as being pro-Ashley.

Hall couldn't reject £7m for Cole, Shepherd couldn't reject £13m for Woodgate, Ashley couldn't reject £35m for Carroll. It's the way of the world.

Hall would have rejected the Cole bid if KK had wanted him to. Woodgate was and is finished and Shepherd knew it.

Pair of ridiculous comparisons.

I'd look more at the players Spurs have sold in recent years for examples of offers that couldn't be turned down tbh.

No, they're bought with the money we got for Bassong, Milner, N'Zogbia, Given, Martins, Duff, Beye and years of season ticket money without a mortgage.

Selling those players you listed probably covered a fraction of what we spent to put us in financial difficulties on fees & wages for the likes of Owen, Emre, Parker, Boumsong, etc.

Depends if we are relegated or not I guess.

Guest Heneage

Thank God you're not chairman then.

:thup: He's living in a fantasy world.

:rolleyes:

Living in a fantasy world for wanting Newcastle to keep a good player. This place gets more ridiculous every day.

Manchester United sold Ronaldo for £80m, do they lack ambition? No.

Not content with patronizing anyone who watches a league outside of the one we are in you also seem to forget that bills need to be paid and that £35m for a player who still looks incredibly raw both on and off the pitch is too good for a man with no connection to the club to turn down. I'd raise the point about Carroll putting in a transfer request but I assume that was another Ashley masterplan to make out like he was innocent.

Throughout this whole saga with Carroll talking to the Fanzine editor he's tried to play the 'I was pushed' yet at 22 he sounds like he's 12. If he wanted to stay he could, he didn't have to sign anything. So if you want to blame Ashley for selling will you blame Carroll for going after this club stood by him with his bar fights?

You advocated this club getting into debt if it meant challenging, a mantra that our previous owner tried and almost destroyed us with. Of course you'll claim 'I'm a football fan not a numbers man' which just sounds ignorant as you don't need a degree in economics to work out that we are a club attempting to re-establish itself in this league. We are doing this by looking for players that we can develop both in the first team and the academy. If some of those players are sold to finance the acquisition of more then so be it that's the way it will be under Ashley.

You know for a fan you don't seem to support much, it's easy to find the flaws in anything, but I'm sure you have already written your damming criticisms of Pardew et al in anticipation of Tuesday's game with Manchester United.

Erm, we've signed Coloccini, Enrique, Barton, Nolan, Tiote, Jonas, HBA to name a few, it's not like Mike has never signed a single player in his time here :lol:.

Plus we were relegated which would have been bad money wise (Owners fault, aye, but still)

You know for a fan you don't seem to support much

I'm not one of those who doesn't mind getting beat as long as the books balance. If that makes me less of a supporter then so be it.

If Barton was signed before Ashley came then fair enough, still doesn;t detract from the fact it's a myth that Ashley has sold all of our players withough investing the money back into the club

http://i.imgur.com/89DFY.png

It's not a myth.

I'm not one of those who doesn't mind getting beat as long as the books balance. If that makes me less of a supporter then so be it.

I'm not too sure this season would have been much different had we not sold Carroll tbh. Next season's the acid test.

I'm not too sure this season would have been much different had we not sold Carroll tbh. Next season's the acid test.

What about if we'd not had him from the start of the season?

Whatever happened on 31st January and whatever the reasons behind each decision, Carroll handed in a transfer request and signed on the dotted line for Liverpool.

Whether Ashley really wanted the money or not, whether Pardew wanted Carroll gone or not, whether Carroll actually wanted to go or not, all the management did was accept an offer that they felt they couldn't turn down and protect their position with the rest of the team in terms of contract demands (there was a team to consider after all, NUFC doesn't just revolve around Carroll). It was Carroll's decision right along the line, from signing the request to signing the Liverpool contract.

If we sell Enrique/Barton/Tiote in the summer and they can give proof that they were forced out then I'll hold up my hands and plead to join the Wullie/Colocho revolution. Until then, I won't fully blame/criticise the regime for this transfer.

Really not sure what your point is now like.

Whatever happened on 31st January and whatever the reasons behind each decision, Carroll handed in a transfer request and signed on the dotted line for Liverpool.

Whether Ashley really wanted the money or not, whether Pardew wanted Carroll gone or not, whether Carroll actually wanted to go or not, all the management did was accept an offer that they felt they couldn't turn down and protect their position with the rest of the team in terms of contract demands (there was a team to consider after all, NUFC doesn't just revolve around Carroll). It was Carroll's decision right along the line, from signing the request to signing the Liverpool contract.

If we sell Enrique/Barton/Tiote in the summer and they can give proof that they were forced out then I'll hold up my hands and plead to join the Wullie/Colocho revolution. Until then, I won't fully blame/criticise the regime for this transfer.

Proof that they were forced out? :lol:

That the club have deliberately reduced the squad to relegation standard and are gambling with next season's survival.

Guest Heneage

You'll have to excuse me but where have I said that? Quite the opposite, I was far from happy with Sunday's showing but it much like a lot of our defeats this season was due to the same reasons most have this season. Lack of depth, the same poor players not performing and missing key players.

It seems pointless to say 'Lovenkrands is not good enough nor is Ranger' when that's been obvious for most of the season. I actively celebrate when he scores but I still know he's not good enough, much like Guthrie who only spares wrath because he's still fairly young with potential to grow.

I know the teams shortcomings, but I fail to see how any of those players would have improved because Carroll stayed, West Brom away showed that. At least with the money we can replace those players instead of saying 'oh well we have Andy Carroll.

That the club have deliberately reduced the squad to relegation standard and are gambling with next season's survival.

We've done just as well without Carroll as with him, and we're nowhere near relegation. Think we'll have more chance of us strengthening the squad better with an extra £35m to play with, than had we kept Carroll and been relying on the likes of Perch, Taylor & Guthrie more next season because we couldn't afford to buy better players than them.

Take away the £35 million from the carroll sale (which may or may not be re-invested back into the club. we'll have to see), and those stats don't look anywhere near as nasty as they do there mind. Again factor in our relegation which required a bit of a fire sale and it is a bit of a myth, like.

I don;t know what the net profit was for transfers during Ashleys reign before our relegation, but i'm sure it wasn't too bad.

Take away the £35 million from the carroll sale (which may or may not be re-invested back into the club. we'll have to see), and those stats don't look anywhere near as nasty as they do there mind. Again factor in our relegation which required a bit of a fire sale and it is a bit of a myth, like.

I don;t know what the net profit was for transfers during Ashleys reign before our relegation, but i'm sure it wasn't too bad.

Those are pre-Carroll I believe.

i.e. refusing to sign a transfer request or it being known that they weren't wanted.

Thank God you're not chairman then.

:thup: He's living in a fantasy world.

What's so fantastic about the idea of hanging on to one of the better strikers in the world??

If we're so desperate for cost-cutting, maybe the attention should be at Alan f***ing Smith and Ryan Taylor's wages - that's 80k or whatever for two players who have never performed for us.

"One of the better strikers in the world"?  :lol:

Can we wait for him to at least finish one season in the Premiership before anointing him with such silly recognition.

Those are pre-Carroll I believe.

I might be wrong but I'm fairly sure that includes the Carroll sale. We were definitely higher up the table last time I checked (near the start of the season).

i.e. refusing to sign a transfer request or it being known that they weren't wanted.

And how will that proof manifest itself? If the club accept an offer that surely that alone is proof that they're not wanted.