West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

or how about a striker who is currently worth a certain amount but in a years time is worth a lot more.

That would be nice because he'll have had to have done well. Then we'll perhaps sell him for a bid 'too good to turn down'.

At what point should such a turnover of players cease to any degree?

I still believe that Carroll is irreplaceable for us. Yes we can bring in a couple players across the rest of the team but where exactly are we going to significantly improve with the money? We've a good back four (granted Jose might be off but the money coming in for him should pay for his replacement), a nice balanced midfield when everyone's available and then up top we had one of the best young forwards in the world. All we need was a good strike partner (although with a fully fit Ben Arfa playing off of him we might've had this covered already) and 2 or 3 squad players/backup to really compete within the top 10 IMO.

The chances of now bringing in a player who brought as much to the team as Carroll are minimal. He scored, made assists, held up play. You can bring any amount of £10mish strikers but they just won't bring as much to the team as he could. Also his departure seemed to really disrupt the team, Jose seemed very happy before it happened, it seems to have brought a couple of doubts to Barton's mind.

In short the team was much, much more healthier with Carroll than with the £35m IMO.

i think a left midfielder, proper centre midfielder and at least another forward, with the carroll money could have us in better shape.

How about a £15m striker and several £6-8m players in other areas?

A £15m striker will command a £15m striker's wages, which we won't pay.

how much does a 15mill striker want ?

More than a £5m striker, at a guess.

I just don't see us making a single signing anywhere near that big, hence our bet.

don't worry i haven't forgotten. over 8mill wasn't it ?

using your theory i'd guess tiote is now on at least 10mill players wages.

Double figures I thought, will have to check. Tiote is slightly different because he was already here. If we'd signed him for £10m do you think we'd have given him this new contract already?

How about a £15m striker and several £6-8m players in other areas?

A £15m striker will command a £15m striker's wages, which we won't pay.

how much does a 15mill striker want ?

More than a £5m striker, at a guess.

I just don't see us making a single signing anywhere near that big, hence our bet.

don't worry i haven't forgotten. over 8mill wasn't it ?

using your theory i'd guess tiote is now on at least 10mill players wages.

Double figures I thought, will have to check. Tiote is slightly different because he was already here. If we'd signed him for £10m do you think we'd have given him this new contract already?

yes if they felt he was worth it. i'd also say he's on more now than he would have been had he been signed for 10mill from twente. (it's true that domestic players tend to command higher transfer fees and wages but i'm fucked if i can understand why ?)

I'd rather have one £35m-rated striker (who actually cost £0m) than any number of £5m-rated strikers. :dontknow:

But then, play it 'safe', and you could spend £50 million on a striker (or keep your £35 million rated striker) and for one reason or another they stop producing the goods and you're left with Lovenkrands. :dontknow:

Why not? By all accounts Carroll was due to be offered that this summer.

All accounts? Can only think of Pardew and the Board, which doesn't count for much. And contradictorily, it's also been said Tiote's new contract came from the Carroll money, suggesting any supposedly inflated Carroll contract would've had to have been financed by his own sale.

I still believe that Carroll is irreplaceable for us. Yes we can bring in a couple players across the rest of the team but where exactly are we going to significantly improve with the money? We've a good back four (granted Jose might be off but the money coming in for him should pay for his replacement), a nice balanced midfield when everyone's available and then up top we had one of the best young forwards in the world. All we needed was a good strike partner (although with a fully fit Ben Arfa playing off of him we might've had this covered already) and 2 or 3 squad players/backup to really compete within the top 10 IMO.

The chances of now bringing in a player who brought as much to the team as Carroll are minimal. He scored, made assists, held up play. You can bring any amount of £10mish strikers but they just won't bring as much to the team as he could. Also his departure seemed to really disrupt the team, Jose seemed very happy before it happened, it seems to have brought a couple of doubts to Barton's mind.

In short the team was much, much more healthier with Carroll than with the £35m IMO.

You make some very good points there.

The only way I could see the team progressing is to use all the money on two pacy, mobile strikers and play a more fluid style than we were under Carroll. But as you say, whether they're available for £10/15m is another matter. Also, Pardew has already spoken about playing Ben Arfa in the hole, so guess we shouldn't be surprised if there is only one addition up front.

A top quality centreback could improve the spine I reckon, but it's unlikely to be a priority.

Unfortunately, it's happened now. Here's hoping Graeme Carr has already identified a gem or two.

One thing is - you would think there must at least be some kind of pressure now at the club to come up with some quality buys in the summer.

All accounts? Can only think of Pardew and the Board, which doesn't count for much. And contradictorily, it's also been said Tiote's new contract came from the Carroll money, suggesting any supposedly inflated Carroll contract would've had to have been financed by his own sale.

Doesn't count for much? Pardew's only the manager and the board kind of decides who can be offered how much  :lol:

Fair point on the second bit though, no idea where the money for Carroll's new contract were supposed to come from, you don't know and I don't know.

Doesn't count for much? Pardew's only the manager and the board kind of decides who can be offered how much  :lol:

Fair point on the second bit though, no idea where the money for Carroll's new contract were supposed to come from, you don't know and I don't know.

Well, 'all the accounts' that suggest Dave was wrong in thinking we will happily pay a £15m striker's accompanying wages come from three very interested parties who are all on one side of an argument, so it's hardly as circumspect a case as ON seemed to be suggesting. An old argument, but they're not the most trustworthy bunch either. Various other facts + statements go to suggest he isn't wrong, though, as you kind of note regarding my second point.

Doesn't count for much? Pardew's only the manager and the board kind of decides who can be offered how much  :lol:

Well, 'all the accounts' that suggest Dave was wrong in thinking we will happily pay a £15m striker's accompanying wages come from three very interested parties who are all on one side of an argument, so it's hardly as circumspect a case as ON seemed to be suggesting. An old argument, but they're not the most trustworthy bunch either. Various other facts + statements go to suggest he isn't wrong, though, as you kind of note regarding my second point.

When I say, I don't know I mean exactly that, not inferring that we don't have the money or that Pardew + board is lying as you seem to do.

Not very sure what you mean by " three very interested parties who are all on one side of an argument" though? Which three parties and which side of an argument are they on?  :dontknow:

Guest Antec

We're now 14 points behind his new club, I bet he's f***ing kicking himself :lol:

course he's not, HE got exactly what HE wanted.

He certainly did, an ambitious club desperate to progress

We're now 14 points behind his new club, I bet he's f***ing kicking himself :lol:

and 80kpw

Guest Antec

and 80kpw

Icing on the cake, good luck to him

and 80kpw

Icing on the cake, good luck to him

do you think we should compete with those wages ? if so, how ?