West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jon Walters' penalty against us this season was a great example of how to take that type of penalty. Carroll simply got it wrong.

Walters and Tevez do this, not a fan of this technique me self, I wouldn't dare try it!  I'd end up skying it over or doing a Carroll and hitting the keepers legs.

Why are folk interested in what Andy Carroll does or doesn't do?

We should really only worry about him 180 minutes per season. Other than that who gives a f***?

I would love to see him bomb as much as the next person by the way!

???

Why are folk interested in what Andy Carroll does or doesn't do?

We should really only worry about him 5 minutes twice per season. Other than that who gives a fuck?

I would love to see him bomb as much as the next person by the way!

FYP :thup:

Don't think it was a bad penalty tbh, read some stats recently that straight down the middle was your best chance as most keepers are deciding which side to dive and would look silly just staying central.

How is that the best chance when the keeper saves it without even trying if they don't dive out of the way, happened today and all the time. Putting it hard in the corner where the keeper has no chance of reaching is obviously the best chance.

Yep the way Shola takes penalties is the best chance of scoring :)  Hard into the corner bending away from the keeper (same way Shearer used to do it).  The way Carroll tried to take it might be the best strategy if you're terrible at penalties though, even then he fucked it up by not hitting it high enough.

In retrospect, would it be plausible to start regarding selling Andy Carroll as more than a financial decision?

Maybe Pardew and the board actually sat down and rationally decided that "look, the lad's a decent player having a purple patch, we're absolutely mugging them at this price" as opposed to Ashley/Llambias just going "35m, w00t!" and pressing the 'accept bid' button?

Perhaps I'm being too charitable, but maybe we realized before anyone else that he simply wasn't that good.

Perhaps I'm being too charitable, but maybe we realized before anyone else that he simply wasn't that good.

if anyone knew it should have been us like

carroll will leave liverpool for somewhere in a year or two and get back to business...wrong club bought him imo, fortunately for us it turns out

EDIT: mind i'm not saying i think he'll be world class or owt, but he showed enough for us that he can be a top class PL striker imo...

In retrospect, would it be plausible to start regarding selling Andy Carroll as more than a financial decision?

Maybe Pardew and the board actually sat down and rationally decided that "look, the lad's a decent player having a purple patch, we're absolutely mugging them at this price" as opposed to Ashley/Llambias just going "35m, w00t!" and pressing the 'accept bid' button?

:thup:

Brilliant quote on the latest Football Ramble, that if Liverpool wanted a good header of the ball to put on for 10mins at the end of games and stick at the back post they should have signed Grant Holt  ;D

I'm sure there's an element of thinking he had reached a point where he would be overvalued, but I think we always had that down as part of the "too good to turn down" aspect of the deal anyway.

I certainly don't think anyone expected he wouldn't do well for Liverpool - especially Mike Ashley.

I'm sure there's an element of thinking he had reached a point where he would be overvalued, but I think we always had that down as part of the "too good to turn down" aspect of the deal anyway.

I certainly don't think anyone expected he wouldn't do well for Liverpool - especially Mike Ashley.

Why especially Mike Ashley? He gets the lowdown from Llambias who came out with the worth 'feck all' comment (allegedly).

Well Ashley and Llambias then, the club, the people in charge, NUFC, the decision makers, whatever you want to call them.

Sorry, not really worth getting into, but what i meant was that I'd don't get why you think they'd not expect his failure in particular - surely it's the other way around. From Llambias' comments I'd be surprised if the bullish Ashley felt the same about Carroll as those of us on the out side gnashing our teeth at his sale.

Well Ashley and Llambias then, the club, the people in charge, NUFC, the decision makers, whatever you want to call them.

Sorry, not really worth getting into, but what i meant was that I'd don't get why you think they'd not expect his failure in particular - surely it's the other way around. From Llambias' comments I'd be surprised if the bullish Ashley felt the same about Carroll as those of us on the out side gnashing our teeth at his sale.

I guess so, no idea really, what I was saying is that I don't think the sale was based on worries about his future form. It might have been a factor I suppose, but I think they would have sold him for £35m even if they knew for a fact that he would do really well for Liverpool.

It incredible, like. In February 2010 I completely wrote him off as a top player; then he spends the next 12 months looking like England's best striker.

I hold my hands up and admit it my mistake, even going so far to defend the lad when people argued he wasn't one of the best strikers in the league. Then he spends 2011 looking like he did for the first half of the Championship season: slow to react, slow of stride, imbalanced, poor first touch and a tendency to horribly misread the game.

35 M :iamatwat: Carroll mistake Best mistake  ???

Carroll is a good player for stoke  :snod: and best for wigan

Why are you having a go at Best again? He's been one of NUFC's best players in 2011 and any NUFC fan should be able to recognize and appreciate what a good asset he is.

Oh, that's right. Nasty Leon might stop innocent little Arfa from playing in the position he likes bestest.

Jon Walters' penalty against us this season was a great example of how to take that type of penalty. Carroll simply got it wrong.

Walters and Tevez do this, not a fan of this technique me self, I wouldn't dare try it!  I'd end up skying it over or doing a Carroll and hitting the keepers legs.

Think Tevez is just shite at taking penalties really. I'm a fan of this type of pen though. Not many 'keepers stay central and if you hit it right, it's pretty much unstoppable.