West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hughton was going to give the feckin' thing to Best, but Best turned it down.

I highly doubt that, btw.

My uncle knows Billy Scott from the Northern Echo and he said the same thing.

give it to whoever and get rid of this cliche of newcastle and the no.9. we've had as much s*** as good there over the years and to use a phil k-ism it's just another thing for the media to blow out of any reasonable proprtion.

give it to whoever and get rid of this cliche of newcastle and the no.9. we'd have as much shit as good there over the years and to use a phil k-ism it's just another thing for the media to blow out of any reasonable proprtion.

Agreed.

Yeah the symbolism shit doesn't really bother me. It does little harm even if in essence it means very little, nothing to get worked up about either way. Carroll getting it would be foine but I'd not be too bothered with a new signing either.

A club should have it's traditions and I'm all for keeping the shirt as something special.

It hasn't always been worn by special strikers though. How many of the number 9's of our past have been special players?

It will mean something to the kid and he will be our main man next season, and we won't get anyone better, and it might help put a stop to the transfer rumours. Would be mad not to give it to him.

Of course the shirt is something special, but the players that wear it is only as special as the club currently is good, it's not the other way around.

Gallagher, Milburn, McDonald, Quinn, Cole, Ferdinand and Shearer for starters.

So about one every 10 years  :laugh:

It's not like you have many of those for just 1 season though.

Gallagher, Milburn, McDonald, Quinn, Cole, Ferdinand and Shearer for starters.

So about one every 10 years  :laugh:

It's not like you have many of those for just 1 season though.

If you worked out how long all of those were here starting from Milburn it probably makes it even more sparse.

But surely it also reduces the number of bad number nines we've had as well? I think the whole point of the fuss is that we've been lucky to have so many truly exceptional strikers playing for us over the years without ever being a Manchester United. Should add that the few local heroes we've had wear it also adds to the aura.

Quite happy for Carroll to have it though, I'm not saying he shouldn't wear it.

Guest BooBoo

No matter who's wore the shirt, most have been good servants to the club or been a pretty special player. It's not something that should just be palmed off on anyone. Plenty of clubs have tradition associated with certain shirts- the number 7 shirt is seen as a special shirt at Liverpool and Man Utd for example.

We have had some great number 9 over the years but I don't think we will see anyone of that calibre again for a long time so don't see the point in putting the shirt into "semi retirement".

We have had "fillers" wearing it in the past so don't see whats wrong with giving it to Carroll.

The number 9 shirt is part of Newcastle folklore mainly because of the likes of Hughie Gallagher and Jackie Milburn, who were both great goal-scoring centre-forwards. Macdonald was the next player who truly deserved that mantle and that was 15 years after Milburn left SJP.

Not sure that Quinn deserves to be among the a/m names - got goals, but was not as exciting to watch as the others  After Supermac, I reckon Andy Cole was the next deserving wearer and if Quinn was to be considered, so then should David Kelly because of the major impact he had ion the 2 seasons he spent at SJP.

After Cole, both Ferdinand and Shearer deserved the shirt, but it will be a long time until the club has a player at CF who is as good as any of those 3. Carroll is a local boy, and therefore perhaps has a better claim than anyone else at the club right now, but we need to see goals from him on a regular basis in the top flight before he can be able to wear the shirt without it being a handicap.

Pele made the No 10 sacred in Brazil, and only Zico and Kaka have come close to him since. Likewise, Cruyff made it a hard job for any Dutchman to wear the No 14...its all about special players and the number they wear rather than just the No 9.

It would be a massive snub to Shola to bypass him and give the number 9 to Carroll. He's the senior player and has performed for us in the Premiership before (was a major part of us getting 7th in 05-06). Not saying Shola should have it, but he should have it ahead of Carroll.