West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Right now i'd say we're best off pairing Carroll and Shola, but I can't really see either hitting double figures.

I disagree. I think pairing thsoe two regularly would be a disaster. Shola when under pressure turns into a statue. In the Premiership we'd have two target men standing around offering no movement and no pressure to opposition defenders.

Lovenkrands is no second striker, he's a poacher. Which is exactly what we could do with, but a better one.

I know he's not. He has no guile at all unforunately. Meant more someone to place off the big man - poacher or '10'.

Shola is fine when he is focused, when he actually pull's his finger out and concentrates he can be a decent play.

Problem is we can be 5 goals down and he is sat there ambling around with a stupid grin on his face like a cheshire cat. Barton needs to have a word tbh.

Lovenkrands is no Premier League striker. Shola isn't either, but he'll cause trouble for defenders on a regular basis. Lovenkrands just won't impose himself against top defenders.

32 goals in just short of 200 appearances in the Premier League suggests he won't like.

Lovenkrands is no Premier League striker. Shola isn't either, but he'll cause trouble for defenders on a regular basis. Lovenkrands just won't impose himself against top defenders.

He did fine last season when given the chance. Had his finishing been slightly better he would have scored more. Lovenkrands might not have the physical attribute Shola has (despite being seemingly unaware of it) but he does get himself in the right positions and has a decent turn of pace.

32 goals in just short of 200 appearances in the Premier League suggests he won't like.

As I said, none of the 3 will manage double figures. We need to look at who contributes most to open play. Lovenkrands is by far the lesser of the 3 in that respect.

We need a quick, technical, second striker kind of player. Somebody who can drop deep to pick up the ball as well as play off the flick ons Carroll gives. I know that's following the stereotypical 'little and large' theory but it really is the kind of player we need, we don't have one in the whole squad.

I really hope Hughton is looking towards signing a player of this ilk, preferrably somebody who is a significant step above what we have and would look like a really positive move forward.

As I said, none of the 3 will manage double figures. We need to look at who contributes most to open play. Lovenkrands is by far the lesser of the 3 in that respect.

No. Lovenkrands has more pace and movement than Shola and offers more to open play when paired with either of them.

Shola contributes fuck all in the Premier League though and has been getting progressively worse year on year.  Given the choice (albeit a limited one) I'd prefer we started with Lovenkrands and Carroll at the start of next season and took it from there.  At least those two show something like forming a partnership when they play together, as has been said, Shola just seems to get in Carroll's way.

That said I'm not that convinced we'll be going with two up front anyway. :undecided:

You don't even need anything close to worldbeaters. Birmingham had Jerome and Benitez upfront for most of the season didn't they? Carroll is better than Jerome, all we need is the Benitez type player - just hopefully we get a more productive one than 'Chucho'.

No. Lovenkrands has more pace and movement than Shola and offers more to open play when paired with either of them.

Offers more in what respect?  He creates nowt, can't hold up the ball, gets bullied far too often and gets slower by the day. His goal tally is his strength and it's pretty average even in a Championship context.

If we need a goal in the last 15 minutes there's a case for him to be on the pitch. If not, it's like having 10 men on the pitch.

You don't even need anything close to worldbeaters. Birmingham had Jerome and Benitez upfront for most of the season didn't they? Carroll is better than Jerome, all we need is the Benitez type player - just hopefully we get a more productive one than 'Chucho'.

Carroll is no better than Jerome.

Jerome is shite but he's the sort of player I'd expect to hit 10-12 goals if he plays all season. Carroll is a better player imo but I'd be less confident of him scoring goals.

Guest palnese

They are two very different players though

He's a better footballer and a bigger threat in the air. Jerome is pretty much dogshit and has pace as his only outlet. I know which one I'd rather have at the club.