West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think Carroll was very good for us, and im sure he could find his feet again if he returned, but i honestly don't want him. Im sure we could/would be able to play it on the deck with him in the side as well. The best for our team/squad as a whole would be to go for a more versatile type of striker, one that can play in more positions than one. If we could get Remy or someone like him it would be like getting two players instead of one.. Would imrpove our team in quality and depth.

Carroll left, we moved on and improved. Personally i always prefer technical players and i think going for technical ones is the right way to progress even further.

This  O0

I don't really grasp the hostility to resigning him. For all the trouser wetting about the price, nobody can come up with a suitable alternative who critically, wants to join Newcastle.

I'm sorry, but that's not our job. You can't discount the opinion of anyone that disagrees with you because we are incapable of coming up with a viable alternative. I  am just confident we could do better.

The club seemingly is not, seeing as they are bidding for the player. What do you make of that?

The only bid we've lodged so far is loan + view to buy right? That's just playing the market carefully. A loan option can't possibly harm us but if the only option is us buying him, I think we'll have different plans

Aye, and for the record I agree with them as in that would be the only type of deal that I would be interested in right now. I was merely pointing out that apparently the club feel they don't have this shortlist of fully scouted, ready to be top-class Premiership strikers for under 10 million desperate to join us. Cisse was a one-off and we played it extremely well, but we shouldn't conclude from that transfer that all our deals will be so perfect. We tried to be clever with Luuk de Jong, who was obviously first choice even though he's far from the finished article and look what type of fee he went for. What does that, and the fact we've subsequently moved in for Carroll, tell you about the availability of other strikers on our shortlist?

Aye, and for the record I agree with them as in that would be the only type of deal that I would be interested in right now. I was merely pointing out that apparently the club feel they don't have this shortlist of fully scouted, ready to be top-class Premiership strikers for under 10 million desperate to join us. Cisse was a one-off and we played it extremely well, but we shouldn't conclude from that transfer that all our deals will be so perfect. We tried to be clever with Luuk de Jong, who was obviously first choice even though he's far from the finished article and look what type of fee he went for. What does that, and the fact we've subsequently moved in for Carroll, tell you about the availability of other strikers on our shortlist?

I'd say we moved for Carroll in a very opportunistic fashion, we probably knew he was unhappy there and interested in coming back. I don't know what we can read into it regarding other targets as we'd only offered a loan + potential buy deal which is very rare for us. It doesn't suggest we're desperate for the player, more that we're just trying to nail a good deal. I was really disappointed we didn't get De Jong to be honest. The eventual price that was talked about seemed like it was in our range.

I can't speak for our scouting team and no one else can but there have to be other targets out there that they're looking at and I'm sure before the window closes, they'll be making some moves with the view to returning to the Carroll deal as long as it's loan + potential buy. If they go for a straight buy (and I really don't think they would unless it was sub £13m) then I'll be disappointed

Falcao is a foolish comparison as he is simply a much better technical footballer and all around player than Carroll will ever be.

The only comparison could be the hair, Carroll loses that one also though.

I think the bigger debate here is why a number of people have lost faith with our buying policy now we're linked with a guy who has already smashed goals in for us.

The people who have lost faith in the policy are the ones who are demanding a list of names of players who would be better value than Carroll.

The people who are saying there are better players to buy are the ones who trust the policy.

I think the bigger debate here is why a number of people have lost faith with our buying policy now we're linked with a guy who has already smashed goals in for us.

The people who have lost faith in the policy are the ones who are demanding a list of names of players who would be better value than Carroll.

The people who are saying there are better players to buy are the ones who trust the policy.

:lol: Not if we spend £10m+ on Carroll they're not, which seems a fair possibility.

:lol: Not if we spend £10m+ on Carroll they're not, which seems a fair possibility.

I'm sure Carroll got bumped up the list because he became "available" and Svelte Mike spies a deal. We'd have been in for him before De Jong if he was such a priority.

The priority is getting deals and good value rather than specific players.  That is why we went for de jong and backed off when he was too expensive.  Carroll looks like he might be. Relative steal and so we are in for him.  Make no mistake though we won't get fleeced.  It's frustrating but it is the system.

I'm sure Carroll got bumped up the list because he became "available" and Svelte Mike spies a deal. We'd have been in for him before De Jong if he was such a priority.

Having a chance at signing a player is pretty important part of having them on any list yeah. There isnt really a position to claim you trust how our scouting works but not this transfer, unless you believe fairlytale stories about Mike buying whoever he wants without consultation which have no basis.

I'm assuming as well as wanting him Ashley is probably of the mind that by paying £15m for him we have effectively been given £20m for a year and a half loan by Liverpool.

I'm assuming as well as wanting him Ashley is probably of the mind that by paying £15m for him we have effectively been given £20m for a year and a half loan by Liverpool.

Surely, but I find it hard to believe that your scouts don't have half a dozen better ideas who to spend £15m on.

Having a chance at signing a player is pretty important part of having them on any list yeah. There isnt really a position to claim you trust how our scouting works but not this transfer, unless you believe fairlytale stories about Mike buying whoever he wants without consultation which have no basis.

You've just made that fairy tale up though. Who have we bought who has had this said about them?

I can't see any reason why our scouting network would be involved in this deal either. The point about them is that I would trust them to find a more suitable player than Carroll for the money being discussed.

Remy for me....

I'm sure everyone feels the same, but how likely is Mike stumps up the cash? this is the why i don't bring up any lists of players because it's hard to think of any realistic signings.

Quite frankly i wouldn't consider Remy realistic before the interest was known but now our interest has seemed to be known it seems it's more realistic.

Let's wait and see, what ever Pardew and the team come up with i'm 100% behind although i do feel Carroll is the wrong deal for us unless it's for 40 or under wages and 10m or under fee.

Surely, but I find it hard to believe that your scouts don't have half a dozen better ideas who to spend £15m on.

Name them. Every one of them. Now.