The other games today - 2008/09

Dave

ahahaha, love it how Carson tries to blame all the defenders for that fuck-up :lol:

In fairness, there were five defenders, Carson and Agbonlahor in the area. One of them should have made a move towards him, at least.

It was Carson's fuck up for the goal, but ultimately, the shot wouldn't have gone in had the defenders done their stuff.

Carson made a few other excellent saves that stopped us sticking considerably more than 2 past them, though.

Villa have to be considered as challengers imo. They just keep on getting results, and are probably only playing at 70%.

I don't think we will be challengers for the big prize, but you've hit on the really important point there that a lot of people don't seem to realise.

We've been without Carew for a couple of months now. He's not a prolific goalscorer, but he shapes our play enormously. We've been playing five in midfield and Gabby alone up front as we've no other realistic options up front. We've also been conducting a European campaign at the same time.

I'd say 70 percent is possibly a little generous, we've been playing well within ourselves. I can only think of Ajax, Slavia Pragua, Spurs away and good spells of today when we've looked anything like playing near our best, but we're still getting results.

It bodes well if we can put together a run where we really do play as well as we can.

Villa have to be considered as challengers imo. They just keep on getting results, and are probably only playing at 70%.

Technically they should be, but I'd be interested to see how they cope once the UEFA Cup comes back in. They're not playing at their best but I'd argue they can't play consistently well. There's no doubt they're getting a lot of breaks. It'll be interesting to see how they respond to a few injuries, a few bits of bad luck etc.

It reminds me a bit us a few years ago. We finished 4th in 2002, then the next season, we had a crap start, then started grinding out results without playing the same quality of football as the previous season and all of a sudden, we were upto 2nd...though the football didn't return to the prior season's quality we clung onto 3rd.

Just realized that if Man U win their three in hand, they're back up to top again.

c***s. They just might end up winning it yet again after all.

Down from 75/1 to 66/1 for them to do the quadruple on the back of todays result.

Technically they should be, but I'd be interested to see how they cope once the UEFA Cup comes back in. They're not playing at their best but I'd argue they can't play consistently well. There's no doubt they're getting a lot of breaks. It'll be interesting to see how they respond to a few injuries, a few bits of bad luck etc.

Carew has been out for ages, he's a very important player for us. We've played 10 UEFA cup matches already (and we largely play the reserves in those games). Getting a few breaks is fair enough, but we're not third because we've been lucky.

Also our remaining fixtures are looking pretty good. Our next five games for example

Sunderland (away)

Portsmouth (away)

Wigan (home)

Blackburn (away)

Chelsea (home)

We know where we've got deficiencies in the squad, and we've got the money and a month to sort it. I think he'll fix it.

Bassong is f***ing great but Faye should never have been sold in a million years. A better DM than Butt in addition to being a better CB than any cover we have for Bassong and Colo.

familiar with the word cover?

I agree with that,I would love to have Faye back here as our dm.I dont think we wanted to sell him,he wanted to leave,theres nothing you can do about that like.Yes Im familiar with the word cover why?

Just realized that if Man U win their three in hand, they're back up to top again.

Cunts. They just might end up winning it yet again after all.

I'd rather they won it than Liverpool.

People talk about our luck, but fuck me, we've played better than Liverpool for most of this season, and they've been incredibly flukey.

Carew has been out for ages, he's a very important player for us. We've played 10 UEFA cup matches already (and we largely play the reserves in those games). Getting a few breaks is fair enough, but we're not third because we've been lucky.

Also our remaining fixtures are looking pretty good. Our next five games for example

Sunderland (away)

Portsmouth (away)

Wigan (home)

Blackburn (away)

Chelsea (home)

We know where we've got deficiencies in the squad, and we've got the money and a month to sort it. I think he'll fix it.

I know you're not there through luck, I just think you've been getting a fair few breaks this season.

That's not like you're the only team, when we finished 4th we got a few as well. I truly hope you rough up the top echelon of the league, I just have serious doubts that you can consistently play "at your best", nevermind playing "at your best" with the UEFA cup to occupy not a particularly large squad.

I just have serious doubts that you can consistently play "at your best", nevermind playing "at your best" with the UEFA cup to occupy not a particularly large squad.

I know what you mean. The weaknesses in the squad are evident, ie everyone knows where they are, he just needs to sort them out this month. The squad is a lot deeper than it was last season, but as you say, the UEFA cup complicates things for us.

Having said that, he's not really too worried about the competition so far (as seen by his selections in the group phase - do as much as we need to, no more). I think the longer we linger in the echelons of the top four, the less he'll worry about the UEFA.

People talk about our luck, but fuck me, we've played better than Liverpool for most of this season, and they've been incredibly flukey.

I absolutely couldnt agree more with you mate

People talk about our luck, but f*** me, we've played better than Liverpool for most of this season, and they've been incredibly flukey.

I absolutely couldnt agree more with you mate

I agree that Liverpool have been pretty s*** this year, but I just hate man utd with a passion that eclipses just about anything else.

I think it's a foreigner thing. We live in an environment where 90% of the PL watchers around us are plastic as f*** Man Utd fans who've never been to Old Trafford, barely know their own squad but insist on plastering themselves with all manner of merchandise like it's some kind of f***ing clothing brand.

Having to deal with c***s like that talking the piss about the football club I support day in and day out gives me an extra little bit of passion when it comes to hating Man United.

I agree that Liverpool have been pretty s*** this year, but I just hate man utd with a passion that eclipses just about anything else.

I think it's a foreigner thing. We live in an environment where 90% of the PL watchers around us are plastic as f*** Man Utd fans who've never been to Old Trafford, barely know their own squad but insist on plastering themselves with all manner of merchandise like it's some kind of f***ing clothing brand.

Having to deal with c***s like that talking the piss about the football club I support day in and day out gives me an extra little bit of passion when it comes to hating Man United.

Spot on mate  :thup: