The other games today - 2008/09

Dave

Another amazing all-round performance by Rooney, I thought. Considering that he won't reach his peak for another 4 or 5 years, it's staggering to think what he might achieve.

Another amazing all-round performance by Rooney, I thought. Considering that he won't reach his peak for another 4 or 5 years, it's staggering to think what he might achieve.

Apart from all his other qualities, his ability to anticipate what's about to happen and get into just the right position to receive the ball is quite fantastic.

The best in the world at what he does. Absolutely phenomenal tbh.

Wayne Rooney is not the best in the world at anything, and he never will be.

Bullshit. His natural understanding of the game is top rate. Although Messi and Ronaldo are the better players, Rooney can do some things better than them. He has a drive and passion to win that exceeds theirs combined. Add that to the wide array of skills in his arsenal, and a powerful right foot, and you have a lethal combination. IMO he really can be one of the greats.

Apart from all his other qualities, his ability to anticipate what's about to happen and get into just the right position to receive the ball is quite fantastic.

Bullshit. His natural understanding of the game is top rate. Although Messi and Ronaldo are the better players, Rooney can do some things better than them. He has a drive and passion to win that exceeds theirs combined. Add that to the wide array of skills in his arsenal, and a powerful right foot, and you have a lethal combination. IMO he really can be one of the greats.

To say Rooney can do something better than him (Messi) and I am sure you are just watching English games in your football world.

Are you really saying that Messi is better than Rooney in every single aspect of the game?

what's messi like with verbal abuse of the ref?  bet rooney walks that one

If you're trying to claim Messi is a fair and kind player, you'd be massively wrong. Fucking Hand-of-God Maradona wannabe fuckhead.

Cracking game last night, naturally Porto being my favourite foreign side and my hatred of the Manc bastards meant there was only one result I wanted to see.

Lucho Gonzalez and Lopez, normally the star performers for their side, took a back seat as Porto once again showed their talent for finding unknowns and turning them into house hold names. Cissoko, Fernando and Hulk really stood out as Porto out played the Mancs for large spells of the game.

Naturally Porto fans will be some what disappointed, if it wasn't for Alves's shocking back pass, a couple of half chances that went a miss and some poor refereeing decisions they could well of been out of site. They will however take comfort in the fact no English side has ever won at the Dragao.

The only real positives for Man United was the performance of Rooney. As a critic of his abilities even I have to admit his recent displays have been impressive.

To say Rooney can do something better than him (Messi) and I am sure you are just watching English games in your football world.

Are you really saying that Messi is better than Rooney in every single aspect of the game?

If you're trying to claim Messi is a fair and kind player, you'd be massively wrong. Fucking Hand-of-God Maradona wannabe fuckhead.

:lol: jesus

:lol:

Guest NorwegianMag

If you're trying to claim Messi is a fair and kind player, you'd be massively wrong. f***ing Hand-of-God Maradona wannabe fuckhead.

So one accident make him an unfair player?

Why the hatred against Messi?

What I find exceptional about Rooney is that he's not just good at producing those moments of skill that will open up a defence, but he's actually very good at all the ordinary things as well - like work rate, heading, tackling, defending, reading the game. And his work is nearly always useful, he doesn't just run around like a twat, trying to take over things that his team mates can do.

Messi and his like will produce more of those moments of exceptional skill, and Messi in particular can do things that other players can't. But Rooney can turn his hand to virtually any job on the pitch, and that makes his overall contribution quite exceptional. He's involved all the time.

Its like comparing a Ferrari to a "state of the art <insert name here>" tractor, they are both exceptional for their use.

Two totally different players, with different ability.

Both world-class at their day...

Comparison Of The Year Nominee 2009?

For the record IMO, overall, Messi > Rooney

Rooney though it has to be said is starting to show the form he's capable of, i.e being the star of a game, and dictating Man Utd's offensive play.

I still think mind that although they're both obviously hugely talented, Messi is just a class above. Quicker, more skilful and I think frightens defences more.

surely rooney is becoming more of a "playmaker" and as a consequence his goals ratio will drop off a bit

Rooney's goals to games ratio has never been that good, it can't afford to drop off a bit.  If anything it needs to improve.

If you're trying to claim Messi is a fair and kind player, you'd be massively wrong. f***ing Hand-of-God Maradona wannabe fuckhead.

ACCIDENT!??????

I'd break your legs if it wasn't such a massive overreaction and this wasn't a forum on the internet

Guest NorwegianMag

ACCIDENT!??????

I'd break your legs if it wasn't such a massive overreaction and this wasn't a forum on the internet

Haha! Mr. Tough guy :) I bet you've pissed your pants. :)

to topic:

Hope for Barca and Chelsea win.

I think Messi has more flow to his game. A lot of the things he does just seem to come randomly out of the pure talent that he possesses. Rooney on the other hand is without a doubt immensly talented, but he is only on top of his game when he uses his psychological strenghts and his will to succeed. I don't know exactly how to put it, but it looks to me as if Rooney tries harder than Messi.

Has more passion and desire to win. It's that instinct imo which makes him the great player he is.

What I find exceptional about Rooney is that he's not just good at producing those moments of skill that will open up a defence, but he's actually very good at all the ordinary things as well - like work rate, heading, tackling, defending, reading the game. And his work is nearly always useful, he doesn't just run around like a t***, trying to take over things that his team mates can do.

Messi and his like will produce more of those moments of exceptional skill, and Messi in particular can do things that other players can't. But Rooney can turn his hand to virtually any job on the pitch, and that makes his overall contribution quite exceptional. He's involved all the time.

Precisely. Rooney is like the ultimate superstar "utility man". A rich man's Steve Watson if you like  :laugh2:

Running around like a headless chicken does not mean more 'passion and desire to win' - not that I think Rooney does, but I think he charges around more whereas Messi doesn't. I think the fact that Messi is renowned as a hard-worker off the pitch (first in, last out etc.) shows that he also has the passion and desire to win. His style seems very fluid and natural but I bet he's worked his fucking arse off to be that good on the ball and he should be credited for being so good; the fact that it seems 'natural' should enhance his reputation, not diminish it.

Fergie's turned Rooney into a team player so while his individual skills may not have flourished in the way that many hoped and expected, the most important fact is that Man Utd have won a shitload of titles. I don't think Fergie cares who scores 30/40 goals a season as long the team's winning the league and competing in the CL. But of course, for the neutral fans, you like to see the best of the very best and for me, Rooney's just not on the same level as Messi. Like I mentioned, he's more of a team player so he'll pass the ball off instead of taking the man on, he'll rarely go on a crusading run from the halfway line (as he no doubt is capable of) but his style contributes to the team's success so I believe he won't be changing it. On the other hand, Messi's always been someone who has the team revolve around him because the more he touches the ball, the better the team is, so that's why you'll see him pop up on the left, right, up top, drop deeper and single-handedly control the game. And because Barca are imo the best 'footballing' team in the world, Messi's the best player.

I think Messi has more flow to his game. A lot of the things he does just seem to come randomly out of the pure talent that he possesses. Rooney on the other hand is without a doubt immensly talented, but he is only on top of his game when he uses his psychological strenghts and his will to succeed. I don't know exactly how to put it, but it looks to me as if Rooney tries harder than Messi.

Has more passion and desire to win. It's that instinct imo which makes him the great player he is.

Rooney has more passion to win?  Based on what?  The fact that he shouts at referees and gurns after missing chances?  I don't think you can get to where Messi has without a massive desire to win.

Messi and Rooney are two different players that play two different positions that can influence football matches in their own manner.

Technically Messi wipes the floor with Rooney. Rooney may pop up with th odd back heel or a deft chip once in a while but Messi just oozes class and finesse in everything he does, he's just naturally gifted. This alone makes him individually a better player.

Rooney on the hand posesses the physical presence that Messi doesn't. He's powerful, strong on the ball and isn't afriad to get stuck in.

Both score goals, both are capable of changing football matches but for me only Messi performs week in week out. If you were to ask me now which I'd rather have in my side I'd choose Messi every day of the week.