The other games today - 2008/09

Dave

Newcastle from 93 to 97 really threatend the first spot with concistency, the rest is history....

All this talk within the Spurs, Everton and Villa fans talking about taking on the Top 4, just remember you have never and probably never will be as close as us.

There was no big four back then. And FWIW, we finished 2nd in 1993 in any case.

If you talk about 1996 as relevant I might as well start going on about the 10-15 years earlier when we actually won it, as did Everton (but Spurs were still refreshingly nowhere near).

That's the point though, it is entirely irrelevant.

There is a top four now which is perpetuated by the fact that four teams get entry into the massive cash cow which is the Champions League. With the exception of Everton and Newcastle, it has been the same four teams for a growing length of time now, and every year like this year when they all do really well in the competition, just makes the gap even bigger.

That's why even during our good run I was convinced it wouldn't happen for us.

Incidentally, I don't class finishing in the top four once as "breaking it". For me, breaking it means breaking it up, and that will not happen through the efforts of the competing clubs outside that group.

In fact, I reckon if one thing breaks up the top four, it will be UEFA reducing the number of English clubs who get entry into the competition.

Incidentally, I don't class finishing in the top four once as "breaking it". For me, breaking it means breaking it up, and that will not happen through the efforts of the competing clubs outside that group.

Just FYI Newcastle finished in the top four twice in a row (2001/2002 and 2002/2003).

Guest kingdawson

Still, our ambition was to take the title, yours is "making the 4th spot to get to CL", what kind of ambition is that, and i wasnt only talking about "the top 4", it was about going for the title and showing ambition, wich we did and almost made.

This wasnt even meant to be some kind of attack on Spurs, Everton and Villa fans, it just annoys me when you guys come to an Newcastle website to argue about whos best and who is closest when none of you never really has been close (and doesnt look close) to breaking up the top teams like we did back in the days.

I dont even want to start with the Spurs fans, they are clearly living in a PL football world that the rest of us doesnt.

Pathetic

What's wrong with you ffs?. I said that we wont break the top 4 after i was asked a question, and you proceed to bitch like a little baby. Go take a time out.

Guest kingdawson

The truth is you've been constantly trying to have little digs at me for no reason wotsoever. I wouldn't mind if you were honestly trying to have a debate about something, but you're clearly not doing it for that reason.

Never did i say we'd challenge top 4, never did i bring any of this breaking into the top 4 talk up. I was asked a question and answered it, so stop acting like some sensitive little bitch.

Guest kingdawson

If you say so KD, if you say so.

And i dont have anything against you, cant even understand where you get that from?

Anywho, i was just laying out facts and spiced it up with my impression about Spurs fans, that doesnt just include you (its all spurs fans i have met around the years and they are in 99% of the time big headed c***s).

When you say stuff like 'spurs fans only post on here when they're doing well' knowing full well that isn't the case at all with me. I remember you directing a couple of other things at me too tbh.

Did Carrick touch it?

He did just before the impact, still Gomes got the ball before brining down Carrick. It was the wrong decision to give a penalty but in my opinion nowhere near the scandal people make it out to be.

If I'd made that decision in my game today I'd probably have been beaten up.

under 9's ?

Angry blokes from the west end...

Stephen Ireland  :lol:

What a cock

As an aside, f***ing chuffed now Hughes pulled his transfer to the Mackems last summer. :snod: Nine league goals now and second in the assist charts.

Guest kingdawson

What a cock

As an aside, f***ing chuffed now Hughes pulled his transfer to the Mackems last summer. :snod: Nine league goals now and second in the assist charts.

Would have been a sensational signing for Sunderland, altough i doubt he would have performed anywhere like he's performed this season. Corluk was also done without Hughes knowing anything about it.

Guest toonlass

Are the games on telly today (obviously the 4pm one is) ?

Yep, both on Sky

Cheers, that's my afternoon sorted then

What a cock

Just look at him!

http://img.skysports.com/09/04/800x600/Everton-v-Manchester-City-Stephen-Ireland_2217869.jpg

Pretty sure this is the closest to what you'd get if an elf and an alien had sex.

Arsenal had better f***ing win today.

Boro have lost something like 7 of the last 9 away, haven't scored away in 9 games and Arsenal haven't conceded at home in the league since like before Christmas.

Which probably means, nailed on Boro win.