Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

You're confusing bigger club with better team or being more attractive/in a better position at the moment.  West Brom could get a crazy billionaire owner tomorrow and spend £50 million but that wouldn't make them a bigger club immediately..

Guest Heneage

Says who? I've seen nothing but posters here going "He's gonna go like" as if he's stood with a suitcase waving and crying.

Says who? I've seen nothing but posters here going "He's gonna go like" as if he's stood with a suitcase waving and crying.

Harper signing a new contract does suggest its a done deal.

Why? Surely the club would want to retain both.

Buying a new keeper would suggest a 'done deal', not signing on a player who's been here since 1993.

I wasn't referring to Newcastle's intentions, I was referring to Harpers.

Harper's played bench boy all his life, nothing has changed.

According to reports he did want to go though didn't he?, certainly could have been bollocks but to be honest at 33 I'd be surprised if he hadn't finally decided he needs first team Football.

I wasn't referring to Newcastle's intentions, I was referring to Harpers.

Harper's played bench boy all his life, nothing has changed.

According to reports he did want to go though didn't he?, certainly could have been bollocks but to be honest at 33 I'd be surprised if he hadn't finally decided he needs first team Football.

Why now of all times? He should have done it years ago. Right now signing a new contract is the best thing he can do with the uncertainty of Given's future, doesn't mean its a done deal that Given is going.

Hughes has been a gob shite all the way through the window, saying who he's going for, he's not said too much on Given, and in his last interview again said nothing. I'm hoping silence is golden...i'm trying to be positive because if it does go through its going to sting a bit, for everyone toon fan.

Chris Hughton makes this comment talking about Harper signing a new contract:

"We have never seen Steve as a number two and what he had in front of him was a outstanding goalkeeper in Shay Given"

Is that not past tense, is he talking as if Shay has gone already

Guest Alan Shearer 9

"We have never seen Steve as a number two and what he had in front of him was a outstanding goalkeeper in Shay Given"

No that's you over analysing a quote from a guy who can barely speak english.

No that's you over analysing a quote from a guy who can barely speak english.

:lol:

TBF its difficult not to do atm, with such poor communication from the club.

In all honesty if £14 million was on the table I'd be disappointed if it didn't go through.  IMO we need that money spent in other area's and I'm totally confident in Harper's ability.

I agree. Surely a club as rich as City wouldn't be daft enough to offer one of the best keepers out there in Shay, a less contract than he deserves? With Harper signing, these snags will be worked out and Given will no doubt leave soon.

Its going to utterly heart-wrenching for me but I'm brutually honest, I don't think we've deserved a keeper of his class for so long after all the broken promises we've made to him. 11 years is an incredible amount of time and if anyone deserves to evaluate whats best for him, its Shay.

Our mismanagement and just downright circus-like antics over the years have taken their toll and this is what you have to deal with as a consequence.

I'll shed a tear I'm sure but hes been a model professional for us and I'd wish him all the best.

In all honesty if £14 million was on the table I'd be disappointed if it didn't go through.  IMO we need that money spent in other area's and I'm totally confident in Harper's ability.

I agree. Surely a club as rich as City wouldn't be daft enough to offer one of the best keepers out there in Shay, a less contract than he deserves? With Harper signing, these snags will be worked out and Given will no doubt leave soon.

Its going to utterly heart-wrenching for me but I'm brutually honest, I don't think we've deserved a keeper of his class for so long after all the broken promises we've made to him. 11 years is an incredible amount of time and if anyone deserves to evaluate whats best for him, its Shay.

Our mismanagement and just downright circus-like antics over the years have taken their toll and this is what you have to deal with as a consequence.

I'll shed a tear I'm sure but hes been a model professional for us and I'd wish him all the best.

Agree with the sentiments but I just don't trust that the money will be spent, rather have Given on the pitch than another £14 million in fat Ashley's pockets. Still Given deserves to go if he wants to

I wish he would hurry up and go. The sooner the wantaway leavers are out the door the better for me, especially if it will release decent funds to buy others. Influential players who aren't happy are like a cancer IMO, we need a fresh start with players who are burning with desire.

I wish he would hurry up and go. The sooner the wantaway leavers are out the door the better for me, especially if it will release decent funds to buy others. Influential players who aren't happy are like a cancer IMO, we need a fresh start with players who are burning with desire.

:lol: agree with the sentiments there tron, but fuck me are those song lyrics?

In all honesty if £14 million was on the table, and if that £14 million is spent on bringing players in this window...

Well I agree of course, but to be fair despite Ashley not spending any of his own money on transfers we haven't been in profit on transfers since he's been here.

Agree with the sentiments but I just don't trust that the money will be spent, rather have Given on the pitch than another £14 million in fat Ashley's pockets. Still Given deserves to go if he wants to

When has transfer money ever gone in his pocket?

In all honesty if £14 million was on the table, and if that £14 million is spent on bringing players in this window...

This:

But I'm not convinced either are going to happen.

:lol: agree with the sentiments there tron, but fuck me are those song lyrics?

I should write Obama's speeches tbh  :pow: