Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

Just seen Kinnear on SSN saying "Shay Given pulled out yesterday with a knee injury and insomnia... Uh, N'Zogbia pulled out with an ankle injury as well"

For a split second I wondered what the fuck he was on about :lol:

Just seen Kinnear on SSN saying "Shay Given pulled out yesterday with a knee injury and insomnia... Uh, N'Zogbia pulled out with an ankle injury as well"

For a split second I wondered what the fuck he was on about :lol:

'insomnia...inzognia..........Charlie'

If we don't get more than £8m we should make Given stay and play as Harper's no 2 for a few games.

No we shouldn't. We should field our strongst XI of which he is part of.

We didn't play Zog yesterday, do you honestly think he was injured? Given should earn his shirt just like everybody else.

No and if he wasn't again i would've played him as he was better than what was out there.

Given could force United's hand

WANTAWAY Shay Given - determined to join Manchester City in this month's transfer window - is considering forcing Newcastle United's hand by handing in a written transfer request.

And boss Joe Kinnear, braced to lose the long-serving goalkeeper, could also be hit with bids for unsetted Charles N'Zogbia from Aston Villa and Wigan Athletic.

Given was left out of the side which lost 2-1 at the City of Manchester Stadium last night because of a knee injury, while N'Zogbia sat out of the game with an ankle problem.

The omission of Given further fuelled talk he will get his wish and leave St James's Park after more than 11 years at the club, with City manager Mark Hughes expected to return with an increased bid for the 32-year-old.

Given has made it plain he wants a new challenge, but has stopped short of handing in a transfer request.

However, that could change as the February 2 deadline for this month's transfer business edges ever closer.

"We've had serious approaches from Man City," Kinnear told the Gazette. "But, irrespective of all the stories, they've offered £5m and not a penny more.

"We think it's an insult to offer that for the best goalkeeper in the Premier League.

"It's a derisory offer, but Shay has made it clear he wants to leave.

"I wasn't involved too much with the meeting between the owner (Mike Ashley), Shay and his agent when they tried to thrash it out.

"But, as far as I know, the owner and the managing director were unhappy they've only been offered £5m. That's where we stand, but I don't want to lose him."

As with Given, Kinnear - gripped by an ever-growing injury crisis which has now claimed Michael Owen and Joey Barton - does not want to part with N'Zogbia, but a bid of around £7m could persuade him to part with the 22-year-old, who has made no secret of his own unhappiness at St James's Park.

Meanwhile, Kinnear is still confident of signing Toulouse right-back Albin Ebondo, with a Newcastle delegation having been in France this week attempting to tie up a deal for the 24-year-old.

"I still think Ebondo will come," said Kinnear. "It was supposed to have it done four days ago, and, hopefully, he'll come and join us.

"Ebondo was due to come in from France, but we're still tied up in negotiations. The original price was £2.5m, but they moved the goalposts and it's now £3m.

"We're still out in France negotiating. It's been two weeks now, so we have to wait and see."

Guest johnson293

What would handing in a request do? We already know he wants to go, and we know he has a contract, nothing can force us.

Exactly - same as Downing at Boro - He handed in a transfer request, Boro basically said he's not for sale, and so far he hasn't gone anywhere.

Surely Given can see that £5m is a poor offer for him compared to the money they've spent on other players, and if we owe him the chance to go elsewhere and try and win something in his career, then surely he owes it to us that we get a decent fee for him.

Guest The Libertine

What would handing in a request do? We already know he wants to go, and we know he has a contract, nothing can force us.

it would probably cost him a few hundred grand.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

No point selling him when it's not going to be reinvested. Could do with shedding him once we're relegated because wages will be too big for the championship.

Guest toonlass

He can hand in a transfer request. We can say "aye, you can go. ONCE we get an acceptable offer for you. We won't stand in your way of leaving. BUT it is when we get what you are worth. You are not going on the cheap."

Guest toonlass

I don't want the lad to go. But if he is I don't want him to be sold on the cheap either. He is worth more than Craig Gordon and he cost £9 million.

I don't want the lad to go. But if he is I don't want him to be sold on the cheap either. He is worth more than Craig Gordon and he cost £9 million.

Hearts were in a better position to bargin and Sunderland were daft cunts to allow Keano to pay that.

We dont have a strong hand here, we have an unhappy player, we need money.

Man city know this.

Needing money isn't an excuse to sell your best player for half of his value. In the current market you don't get much for what City are offering, so accepting it would be pointless.

Needing money is everything at the moment as it appears we need to sell before buying.  We have other players to cover his position while other areas of the team are thin or not covered at all.

I'm not over happy about it myself, i just think its a sensible thing to do at the moment.

Like it or not, we now need this to go through ASAP.

We need the money to even try get some players in, and we can do without an unhappy player on big money sat on the bench with a mystery 'injury'.