The Kevin Keegan thread

The Prophet

Well you seem to be saying the only good thing about a trophy is lifting it, as if our 9 month journeys under Keegan were worth so much more than one day trophy lifting. But you're comparing two similar things on two different scales. Of course the journey towards winning a trophy is a part of it too.

Basically saying a fruitless journey under Keegan was so much better than what most teams who did win something experienced (which to some extent I agree with). But if there's a trophy at the end you will always enjoy the build more or look back on it more favourably.

Liked Bobyule's post a lot. Summed up Keegan well and came to a truthful conclusion.

As you get older and wiser, you learn to be more careful about who you fall in love with. There are glamorous people who promise the earth but are in reality selfish. They end up leaving and hurting you. There are others less attractive who end up delivering the goods. You can carry on not learning the lesson, parading your bleeding heart like it's a badge of honour and end up like a battered wife, or you can build a real relationship. That takes time and patience, of course.

Caulkin's articles are like a Chinese meal. Superficially good but lacking substance.

Football isn't only about dreaming, it's about winning. Keegan has won nothing. Nada. Zilch. Rien.

He's a shrewd journalist in that he realises that you can win just as many readers by writing what people want to hear as you can by writing a load of controversial, complaint inspiring nonsense like the majority of journalists do.

That article is just that, what a lot of people want to hear.

Or what some spoilt numpties don't like to hear...

The last sentence of bobyule wasn't there when I first replied. What a load of nonsense. Reducing Keegan's managerial credentials on a lack of trophies is so ignorant that you hardly can take it serious.

Anyway. Football isn't about winning, it's about how you play. © Johan Cruijff

I'd agree the last sentence of bobyule's post isn't right at all. :thup:

Well taking a look at the records, I see that Cruyff won 24 trophies as a player, and 11 as a manager. You don't get a haul like that if winning isn't important to you.

Winning shouldn't be the only thing, but it is important. Surely.

There's a difference between being a good manager and being a winner. A winner has a bit of steel which takes them through the inevitably dodgy times when things aren't going well and everyone's saying how crap you are. It also helps if you have good ideas and good judgement that you feel you can rely on. That way when you're under pressure you still think clearly.

For me, Keegan fails on both counts.

As you get older and wiser, you learn to be more careful about who you fall in love with. There are glamorous people who promise the earth but are in reality selfish. They end up leaving and hurting you. There are others less attractive who end up delivering the goods. You can carry on not learning the lesson, parading your bleeding heart like it's a badge of honour and end up like a battered wife, or you can build a real relationship. That takes time and patience, of course.

Caulkin's articles are like a Chinese meal. Superficially good but lacking substance.

Football isn't only about dreaming, it's about winning. Keegan has won nothing. Nada. Zilch. Rien.

He's a shrewd journalist in that he realises that you can win just as many readers by writing what people want to hear as you can by writing a load of controversial, complaint inspiring nonsense like the majority of journalists do.

The last sentence of bobyule wasn't there when I first replied. What a load of nonsense. Reducing Keegan's managerial credentials on a lack of trophies is so ignorant that you hardly can take it serious.

Well taking a look at the records, I see that Cruyff won 24 trophies as a player, and 11 as a manager. You don't get a haul like that if winning isn't important to you.

There's a difference between being a good manager and being a winner. A winner has a bit of steel which takes them through the inevitably dodgy times when things aren't going well and everyone's saying how crap you are. It also helps if you have good ideas and good judgement that you feel you can rely on. That way when you're under pressure you still think clearly.

keegan didn't win us any major trophies. however i'd rather come 2nd than mid-table, i'd rather come 2nd in the prem than win the FA cup.

If its all about winning why don't we all support Man U or Liverpool?

Why do millions support "no-hopers" in thousands of leagues?

I don't mean that Newcastle fans shouldn't aspire to win but if you're going to use the "second is nowhere" argument to denigrate Keegan, I just can't think of you as Newcastle fans.

keegan didn't win us any major trophies. however i'd rather come 2nd than mid-table, i'd rather come 2nd in the prem than win the FA cup.

I know 2nd = Champions League and it brings riches, but if i was offered a cup or 2nd it would be a cup (even the League Cup would do!) every single time. It has to be when we've not won a domestic cup since 55

What was great about the Keegan days was no-one necessarily expected us to win the title, we were always the underdog, and therefore the thought of success was always almost dream-like. The Keegan days were like an Adidas advert saying "Impossible is nothing."

However, I will be sincerely pissed off if Keegan effectively puts us into administration. Although you cannot really blame the fella, as it is perfectly within his rights to contest money that is essentially his.

If its all about winning why don't we all support Man U or Liverpool?

Why do millions support "no-hopers" in thousands of leagues?

I don't mean that Newcastle fans shouldn't aspire to win but if you're going to use the "second is nowhere" argument to denigrate Keegan, I just can't think of you as Newcastle fans.

:thup:

What was great about the Keegan days was no-one necessarily expected us to win the title, we were always the underdog, and therefore the thought of success was always almost dream-like. The Keegan days were like an Adidas advert saying "Impossible is nothing."

However, I will be sincerely pissed off if Keegan effectively puts us into administration. Although you cannot really blame the fella, as it is perfectly within his rights to contest money that is essentially his.

He won't put us into administration.

*sigh*

I know 2nd = Champions League and it brings riches, but if i was offered a cup or 2nd it would cup every single time. It has to be when we've not won a domestic cup since 55

no it doesn't have to be. it's all about prestige and getting better. poor teams have won cups,sunderland,wimbledon,portsmouth,west ham twice,southampton to mention a few in my lifetime. never in that time has a poor team won or came runners up in the league.

you are saying you'd take a pot over being a better team and getting to be a better team.

He won't put us into administration.

*sigh*

Don't sigh at me...bitch.

League 1 Champions 1992-1993.

Don't be fooled by the title. In reality that's the Second Division.

I'm not fooled at all. In fact the actual title is irrelevant. You claimed he had won nothing.

I know 2nd = Champions League and it brings riches, but if i was offered a cup or 2nd it would cup every single time. It has to be when we've not won a domestic cup since 55

no it doesn't have to be. it's all about prestige and getting better. poor teams have won cups,sunderland,wimbledon,portsmouth,west ham twice,southampton to mention a few in my lifetime. never in that time has a poor team won or came runners up in the league.

you are saying you'd take a pot over being a better team and getting to be a better team.

Our 95-96 team is probably a rare example of a team remembered for finishing 2nd in the league. Cup winners tend to go down in history. Especially at our club where it's been so long since the last bit of significant silverware.

League 1 Champions 1992-1993.

Don't be fooled by the title. In reality that's the Second Division.

I'm not fooled at all. In fact the actual title is irrelevant. You claimed he had won nothing.

When most people talk of winning "something" that "something" tends to be the Premier League (League Championship) title, FA Cup, League Cup or European trophy. Lower division titles and other cups like Anglo Italian, Texaco Cup, Auto Windscreens Flypaper Trophy etc aren't usually considered a major honour.

Cup winners tend to go down in history.

Less and less as the years go by sadly.

Maybe at other clubs but any trophy winners at NUFC would go down in the archives. Have you seen the way the 1969 Fairs Cup side is still remembered and honoured, more than 40 years afterwards?

Our 95-96 team is probably a rare example of a team remembered for finishing 2nd in the league. Cup winners tend to go down in history. Especially at our club where it's been so long since the last bit of significant silverware.

i don't care about going down in history. i want to noted by those in the know as being very good and getting better.

When most people talk of winning "something" that "something" tends to be the Premier League (League Championship) title, FA Cup, League Cup or European trophy. Lower division titles and other cups like Anglo Italian, Texaco Cup, Auto Windscreens Flypaper Trophy etc aren't usually considered a major honour.

Maybe if your Man U, Liverpool etc.

For NUFC, and our total lack of achievement over the last half a century, winning the divison 2 championship has to go down as a notable honour.

It was notable but it seems daft people pointing to it when the claim of "KK won nowt" comes up.

Eh? :lol:

I see his point tbh. When people go on about Keegan winning nothing, they point to the Division One title.

In 15 years time or so when it's established that Chris Hughton wasn't a good manager, I doubt people will go, "Ah yes, but he did win the Championship".

Twas a notable achievemnt for us at the time (indeed for any club winning it) but the first division (or Championship) title is not usually recognised as a major honour.

Twas a notable achievemnt for us at the time (indeed for any club winning it) but the first division (or Championship) title is not usually recognised as a major honour.

Accepted, but 'Keegan won nowt' is factually incorrect that's all.

If we win the league this year Nut, 'Hughton won nowt' will also be factually incorrect. If he takes us to second in the Premier League I'm pretty sure he'll be known as a good manager.