Newcastle United Finances - 2008 Accounts Recently Filed

quayside

Yet he's put in more than the last lot took out, hasn't taken any money out himself, and isn't charging interest on his loan to the club.

All will be sorted when he sells.

Who is he selling to like? :lol:

Anyone who'll stump up the money - I'd guess in about 12-15 months time.

Yet he's put in more than the last lot took out, hasn't taken any money out himself, and isn't charging interest on his loan to the club.

:lol:

No one then.  mackems.gif

but the fact is the financial situation is desperate

Compared to other clubs?

"Sensible" running of the club until the finances improve are fine but for one thing - relegation and the shit that goes with it.

:lol:

No one then.  mackems.gif

There may not be any buyers now but the point is he will sell when he can - if you honestly think he's now committed to five years in charge you're mad imo.

Compared to other clubs?

"Sensible" running of the club until the finances improve are fine but for one thing - relegation and the shit that goes with it.

Yeah compared to other clubs.

Are you suggesting they'd be better off being irresponsible?

Guest toonlass

And we will all be happier when he does sell. BUT do you think its going to do his cause any good to have Newcastle relegated? All these people who think Ashley is trying to fuck Newcastle up on purpose are as mad as NE5. Yes he has fucked up, but I don't think he has done it on purpose. He is just clueless when it comes to football.

Compared to other clubs?

Not irresponsible but as I've said many times a reasonable level of debt is not the greatest crime in the universe - its less of a crime than relegation.

And we will all be happier when he does sell. BUT do you think its going to do his cause any good to have Newcastle relegated? All these people who think Ashley is trying to fuck Newcastle up on purpose are as mad as NE5. Yes he has fucked up, but I don't think he has done it on purpose. He is just clueless when it comes to football.

I don't think he wants to be relegated - his ridiculous trust in Kinnear and lack of football awareness are the threats but I think they're crimes of ignorance rather than crimes of malice.

Compared to other clubs?

Not irresponsible but as I've said many times a reasonable level of debt is not the greatest crime in the universe - its less of a crime than relegation.

The state of the finances is far from reasonable.

The key to this whole "Ashley is the Evil Prince of Greed" thing seems to be an ability to moan (endlessly) about the state of the finances while simultaneously ignoring (completely) the state of the finances.

I think its more that people feel his long term aim is to make a profit on the club.

The key to this whole "Ashley is the Evil Prince of Greed" thing seems to be an ability to moan (endlessly) about the state of the finances while simultaneously ignoring (completely) the state of the finances.

I think its more that people feel his long term aim is to make a profit on the club.

I think it's more that people have decided that's the case without a great deal of facts to base their assumptions on.

Which makes him different from nearly every club owner, anywhere, ever... how exactly?

Which makes him different from nearly every club owner, anywhere, ever... how exactly?

It doesnt. I would agree in that they are all out to make money for themselves.

Its not my point of view to be honest but I was just trying to offer a thought on why people were seeing past the current finances situation and just looking at his general end game.

It doesnt. I would agree in that they are all out to make money for themselves.

Its not my point of view to be honest but I was just trying to offer a thought on why people were seeing past the current finances situation and just looking at his general end game.

OK, gotcha.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Mike Ashleys sports direct company has posted very good results today

http://www.sports-direct-international.com/library/InterimManagementStatement18February2009.pdf

Dave Forsey, Chief Executive Officer of Sports Direct International plc said:

“The Board is pleased with the Group’s trading performance during the quarter,

particularly with the UK retail division which has benefitted from specific management

focus.

“The weaker pound has had an adverse impact on margin in the period. However we

continue to offer great value to our customers, while ensuring effective control of

stock levels and costs, which we believe will continue to position the business well

against the challenging market conditions.”

Mike Ashleys sports direct company has posted very good results today

http://www.sports-direct-international.com/library/InterimManagementStatement18February2009.pdf

Dave Forsey, Chief Executive Officer of Sports Direct International plc said:

“The Board is pleased with the Group’s trading performance during the quarter,

particularly with the UK retail division which has benefitted from specific management

focus.

“The weaker pound has had an adverse impact on margin in the period. However we

continue to offer great value to our customers, while ensuring effective control of

stock levels and costs, which we believe will continue to position the business well

against the challenging market conditions.”

the milner money tbh

• 7 months later...

Any thoughts on how this season should look given the attendances/transfers so far.  I'm trying to come up with a figure for how much Ashley has spent on the club now.  Got the 2008 figures from http://www.nufc-finances.org.uk/ and extrapolated the rest....

07/0808/0909/10
Club Purchase-£134m
Existing Debt-£70m
Match (bums on seats)£32m£30m£23m
Media (Sky/Setanta/Parachute)£41m£41m£20m
Commercial (shops and sponsorship)£26m£22m£20m
Interest-£6m-£3m-£3m
Payroll-£70m-£70m-£50m
Transfers-£10m£0£27m

Add all of those up and I make it that he's £133m out of pocket come the end of the season.  More importantly he's comfortably in profit for 09/10.

What have i missed?

Cheers

You're missing a lot of costs by putting down the wage bill and a small amount of interest as the only outgoings.  Granted they're hard to include since I'm not sure were they're itemised in the club accounts, however they're obviously significant.  For instance we see from the accounts that we made £26m from merchandise in 2008 but how much did it cost to make/buy in that merchandise?  Only a fraction of the £26m we made no doubt but its still bound to be several million pounds.  Obviously it costs to light and heat the stadium and offices though I've no idea how much.  Also we'll still be paying for past transfers and I'm sure there are many other costs I'm not thinking of.  We don't know what all of these costs are, but you only need to look at the revenue/wages and profit/loss from the 2008 financial report to see how significant they are.

Our total income was £99.4m and our wage bill £70m, if the wage bill and interest was our only cost we'd have made a £26.4m profit but instead we made a £30m loss.  Of course £8m was interest repayments on the debt before Ashley secured it (so we won't be paying that in future) and £5m was from Allardyce's payout.  But even without those two costs there are £41m in costs outside of the wage bill and overdraft interest payments that we aren't seeing.  While stuff like past transfer fees will reduce over time given no new transfers most of the other costs will reoccur every year no matter what.

There's no way we'll have gotten all the £27m from transfers up front.  At best we can expect to get it over the course of the next few years with say £12m of it being up front.  Also quite a significant chunk of that initial £12m would then have had to go to pay loyalty bonuses to the players we sold.

Any thoughts on how this season should look given the attendances/transfers so far.  I'm trying to come up with a figure for how much Ashley has spent on the club now.  Got the 2008 figures from http://www.nufc-finances.org.uk/ and extrapolated the rest....

07/0808/0909/10
Club Purchase-£134m
Existing Debt-£70m
Interest-£6m-£3m-£3m
Payroll-£70m-£70m-£50m
Transfers-£10m£0£27m

Add all of those up and I make it that he's £133m out of pocket come the end of the season.  More importantly he's comfortably in profit for 09/10.

What have i missed?

Cheers

Wasn't there accounts released by the club last year ?

07/0808/0909/10
Club Purchase-£134m
Existing Debt-£70m
Interest-£6m-£3m-£3m
Payroll-£70m-£70m-£50m
Transfers-£10m£0£27m

What have i missed?

Cheers

Wasn't there accounts released by the club last year ?

Aye, that's where the figures in the 07/08 column come from.

• 3 months later...