What's the closest we've come?

James
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What in your opinion is the closest Newcastle have come to silverware post-1992?

Nine times it the past 14 years we've come close in my opinion. Not bad compared to most other English football clubs.

For me, it has to be the 2000 FA Cup, Chelsea were really lucky to beat us, and I think the Final would have gone perfectly had we got there.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

For me has to be one of the Cup Finals simply because we were literally one game away there, and anything can hypothetically happen even if we were the weaker team on paper.

Back at the time I thought our best chance of winning something was the 2004-05 Uefa cup even if we did go out in the quarter finals.

Unlike other occasions I thought we were the best team left in it if we didn't fall apart when Dyer went off against Sporting.

the UEFA Cup option was when we got edged out by a Beye/Drogba inspired Marseille.

I know, I didn't say it wasn't. We were close but we were demolished on the day, I didn't feel like it was going to happen. Still very gutting. The Sporting game however was just a complete collapse when we should have booked our place in the last 4. I really felt that we could win it that year too.

the UEFA Cup option was when we got edged out by a Beye/Drogba inspired Marseille.

I know, I didn't say it wasn't. We were close but we were demolished on the day, I didn't feel like it was going to happen. Still very gutting. The Sporting game however was just a complete collapse when we should have booked our place in the last 4. I really felt that we could win it that year too.

I've added that option for you as stated in the edited post above.

How mad would it have been for Souness to win us the UEFA Cup.

Don't see how anyone can vote for anything other than 95/96 league. We were miles clear at the top.

Never had a hope in hell winning either of the cup finals or v Man U semi, playing the Champions each time. UEFA Cup v Marseille i doubt we'd have beaten Valencia in the final, Sporting result was probably the most gut wrenching as we had got ourselves into such a good position & were arguably the strongest team left in but everything that went wrong in the build up and actual match that could have gone wrong did go wrong.

How mad would it have been for Souness to win us the UEFA Cup.

I know, and he made a couple of decisions that night which didn't help us. Bramble and Dyer getting injured was what did it more though, Dyer was our best player that night and was our biggest threat.

We didn't do too badly in Europe under him strangely, the Olympiacos games in particular (the same season it took Gerrard's "You beauty" shot to defeat them in the CL).

Guest timmy boy

Chelsea semi for me.

Honourable mention for the season where Graveson took Bernard out at Goodison (always get the 3rd/4th place seasons mixed up).

Had we beaten Everton theat day we had a damn good shot at winning the league

Was that the game that Robert rocketed one in the top corner and Woodgate hit the bar?

Chelsea semi for me.

Honourable mention for the season where Graveson took Bernard out at Goodison (always get the 3rd/4th place seasons mixed up).

Was that the game that Robert rocketed one in the top corner and Woodgate hit the bar?

No, that was Liverpool away in the FA cup.

The Chelsea game we lost 2-1, Rob Lee for us and Poyet for them.

Chelsea semi for me.

Aye. They scored from Graveson's 'tackle' on Bernard.

Guest firetotheworks

95/96 was close, but we were a few months away from winning the title. The FA cup finals we had a game and were close but from start to finish in those matches never looked like winning. In my opinion the closest we've ever been is the FA cup semi final that we lost to Chelsea, simply because whoever won that match would certainly beat Villa at the time, and we were unlucky to lose to Chelsea. I still remember their second goal starting from a Dennis Wise free kick which was a rolling ball. The commentator made some remark about it not making a difference. Course it made a fucking difference, it was part of their counter attack when we were trying to get people back to defend and they fuckin scored from it!  :rant:

Guest timmy boy

Chelsea semi for me.

Aye. They scored from Graveson's 'tackle' on Bernard.

Thought so, Kevin Campbell scored from a pen I think. That Robert goal was immense one touch out of his body and thumped it top corner from a tight angle.

95/96 was close, but we were a few months away from winning the title. The FA cup finals we had a game and were close but from start to finish in those matches never looked like winning. In my opinion the closest we've ever been is the FA cup semi final that we lost to Chelsea, simply because whoever won that match would certainly beat Villa at the time, and we were unlucky to lose to Chelsea. I still remember their second goal starting from a Dennis Wise free kick which was a rolling ball. The commentator made some remark about it not making a difference. Course it made a fucking difference, it was part of their counter attack when we were trying to get people back to defend and they fuckin scored from it!  :rant:

We still could have won it on the last day iirc. Either way this thread makes for a depressing read.

95/96 was close, but we were a few months away from winning the title. The FA cup finals we had a game and were close but from start to finish in those matches never looked like winning. In my opinion the closest we've ever been is the FA cup semi final that we lost to Chelsea, simply because whoever won that match would certainly beat Villa at the time, and we were unlucky to lose to Chelsea. I still remember their second goal starting from a Dennis Wise free kick which was a rolling ball. The commentator made some remark about it not making a difference. Course it made a f***ing difference, it was part of their counter attack when we were trying to get people back to defend and they fuckin scored from it!  :rant:

It went down to the last day of the season, even after we had caved in.