Time for Wise to step up?

TRon

seriously, curbishley ain't in a job right now is he?  ship JFK and ask curbishley in to the end of the season with 5 year contract on offer if he keeps us up

what's the worst that could happen?

Yet another English manager from the old boy network, mates with Sky presenters & the cockney press.

Not good enough, never was, never will be.

seriously, curbishley ain't in a job right now is he?  ship JFK and ask curbishley in to the end of the season with 5 year contract on offer if he keeps us up

Yet another English manager from the old boy network, mates with Sky presenters & the cockney press.

kept a shit team in the PL - check

better than JFK - check

make it keep us up and we'll talk about a long term deal or something...we're going down with JFK dude

better than JFK - check

make it keep us up and we'll talk about a long term deal or something...we're going down with JFK dude

It's like asking which is better, cancer or a heart attack.

better than JFK - check

It's like asking which is better, cancer or a heart attack.

you're off your head, how on earth can you suggest curbishley would be anywhere near as bad as JFK for the remainder of the season?

if the worst happens on sunday and god i hope it doesnt. i think there needs to be a real push to get shearer till the end of the season. just for the lift it will give the fans. it will create a buzz around the club and hopefully bring the new manager lift that tends to happen for a few games.

Ive always bin against shearer being manager because hes not ready obviously but how much worse could he be? and his inexperience would be outweighed by the excitement of his return in this time of need.

and plus ive had about enuf of that incompetent coughing and spluttering mentalist  :kinnear:

That idea is awful. The same thing was done with Keegan, and that failed miserably. If Shearer is to be brought in, he must be appointed based on a 5 year plan to re-build the club with specific targets and milestones.

I don't believe in this bollocks about Shearer having to prove himself elsewhere. He's played under some great managers, and will have learned a great deal. He is a massive figure with massive presence. All he needs is an experienced number 2, and he'll be set.

No more time for bullshit. Wise has balls, these are his players he needs to take responsibility. If Joe is wavering and claiming his 'hands are tied' then we need someone in charge who believes in the squad being built here. If Wise is that man then he needs to carry the can.

Joe is out of his depth, Wise at least knows the league with a more modern perspective and has more recent credentials of management while at Leeds.

Some people slag off his time at Leeds, but from the Leeds fans I know they thought he did alright (although some cynical sods will have you believe Poyet was the man causing his success, hardly evident at Spurs).

With Owen and Barton out (amugnst the many others from out first team) relegation is looking a certainty.  If Wise can lead the kids and the left overs better than Kinnear, it maybe worth a gamble.

People have used Wise as a scapegoat for Keegan going for too long, and I've left my opinions on this to one side, fact is Wise has done fuck all wrong while here, he's got on with the job he was asked to do and there isn't evidence to say he's doing it awful either.

No more time for bullshit. Wise has balls, these are his players he needs to take responsibility. If Joe is wavering and claiming his 'hands are tied' then we need someone in charge who believes in the squad being built here. If Wise is that man then he needs to carry the can.

Joe is out of his depth, Wise at least knows the league with a more modern perspective and has more recent credentials of management while at Leeds.

Some people slag off his time at Leeds, but from the Leeds fans I know they thought he did alright (although some cynical sods will have you believe Poyet was the man causing his success, hardly evident at Spurs).

With Owen and Barton out (amugnst the many others from out first team) relegation is looking a certainty.  If Wise can lead the kids and the left overs better than Kinnear, it maybe worth a gamble.

People have used Wise as a scapegoat for Keegan going for too long, and I've left my opinions on this to one side, fact is Wise has done fuck all wrong while here, he's got on with the job he was asked to do and there isn't evidence to say he's doing it awful either.

I live and work in Leeds and all the Leeds fans were pleased as punch when he left that i spoke to about it. He did do a decent job at Millwall though.

Up until this window Wise hasn't really done anything wrong, its the whole system that is wrong, he is just a scapegoat for the stupid system we have in place.

I live and work in Leeds and all the Leeds fans were pleased as punch when he left that i spoke to about it. He did do a decent job at Millwall though.

Up until this window Wise hasn't really done anything wrong, its the whole system that is wrong, he is just a scapegoat for the stupid system we have in place.

Thanks for the reply.  Sadly I can only base my opinions on the Leeds fans I know, which isn't many.  Appreciate that you know far more (given you live and work in Leeds! :lol:) and I accept it if it is the case that most Leeds fans wanted him gone or were happy when he went.

Thing is, from memory, I thought he was managing Leeds when they had the 10 point deficit?  Didn't they do quite well despite that deficit, and given they finished on 76 points, they could have been automaticlly promoted on 86 points?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Wise was managing them for what, about half of that? sounds like he did pretty well in tough circumstances?

Realistically I don't believe any manager is going to want to come here with our backs against the wall to the end of the season, not Martinez and definitely not Shearer. Curbishley hasn't got the mental toughness for the situation and his buying was disastrous at West Ham. I don't know much about Wise but I saw an interview where Leeds had just been forced to start the season with a 12 point (I think)  handicap and on learning it Wise was seething. Then he said "yeah ok...bring it on. Let's 'ave it" He looked like he was ready to step into the ring with Ricky Hatton.

I don't think he'll put up with a spineless surrender of our Premiership status and he'll be working with players he's bought. Joe doesn't look like he knows the answers and he's not making the best of the players he has available.

Thanks for the reply.  Sadly I can only base my opinions on the Leeds fans I know, which isn't many.  Appreciate that you know far more (given you live and work in Leeds! :lol:) and I accept it if it is the case that most Leeds fans wanted him gone or were happy when he went.

Thing is, from memory, I thought he was managing Leeds when they had the 10 point deficit?  Didn't they do quite well despite that deficit, and given they finished on 76 points, they could have been automaticlly promoted on 86 points?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Wise was managing them for what, about half of that? sounds like he did pretty well in tough circumstances?

He did well the season they were in league 1 with minus 15 yeah but he took them down the season before and also when Poyet left they went downhill quite a lot and he wasn't overly well liked by Leeds fans anyway at the start, but then again Chelsea aside not many people do like him.

He probably could and would do a better job than JFK but it'll never happen and if it did there would be uproar as id estimate 95% off Newcastle fans despise Wise (on here is not a good barometer of general opinion)

Guest diddimz

At the minute I'd be fine with Wise taking over, at least he knows the players, which seems to be more then  :kinnear:. But then I'd also think it would be a good idea for Ashley to say he will offer 10million to anyone who can keep us up.

:lol:

:) :) :)

Genius. Absolute genius.

Imagine the ace players he could bring in if he was nearer the first team! More Gonzales' please!

there you have the problem with the DOF. If the player recruiting is not good enough, whats the point of keeping him on and changing the manager ?

Still, I suppose one or two numpties will still stand by it  :nope:

there you have the problem with the DOF. If the player recruiting is not good enough, whats the point of keeping him on and changing the manager ?

Do you think the quality of the player recruitment has been acceptable? Quantity is far and away the main issue for me. The squad is threadbare to say the least.

edit: by the way, I realise that this is the fault of the recruitment.

He can't be any worse than Joe Kinnear, but do we want yet another change and the media will be all over us for it.

All of a sudden Kinnear would be the media darling and would run stories how we stabbed in the back the only man willing to help us blah bloah blah

Do you think the quality of the player recruitment has been acceptable? Quantity is far and away the main issue for me. The squad is threadbare to say the least.

I'll admit I thought the 2 Argies were great at Old Trafford, I'm sure if I say anything different then baggy will triumphantly remind me, although using hindsight in the manner of someone like mandiarse isn't really me.

I still think Jonas is a quality player, in spite of his lack of goals, but Colocinni [and I posted this a while ago, maybe in the thread about him] lacks the strength to be a top centre half in the premiership. I like centre halfs who stand up tall, like he did at Old Trafford, but he hasn't repeated that enough for me. Bassong looks by far the best and along with Taylor is our best central defensive pairing.

Guthrie was Keegans signing, at least he says he was, and he;s OK but a bottom half premiership player and a typical player you get for that price bracket. He might be a good lad but that is irrelevant in the cold light of day.

The others are, well, forgettable. Smith has been a huge disappointment, Viduka was nothing more than a cheap and poor replacement for Shearer.

The best signings made since Ashley have been Jonas and Beye by a country mile. Faye was solid it was disappointing to see him sold to Stoke. Enrique - one minute he looks good, the next he is poor. Maybe he is young and adapting, when Barton had a go at him for not tracking the other week he was right. Wrong to do it in the way he did, but right in what he thought. He is quite quick and strong, but I must admit I don't really like lazy minded defenders doing things like that too often, however good they may be on the ball.

Selling Given for the reasons he will leave, losing Owen, and the general situation at the club completely negates any of the few successes they have made in the transfer market, including allowing the squad to be so small, this is why we are now staring down right at the drop zone and to be honest, under the current policy we wouldn't have any chance of putting together the bricks to come back and make a better fist of it.

I'll admit I thought the 2 Argies were great at Old Trafford, I'm sure if I say anything different then baggy will triumphantly remind me, although using hindsight in the manner of someone like mandiarse isn't really me.

I still think Jonas is a quality player, in spite of his lack of goals, but Colocinni [and I posted this a while ago, maybe in the thread about him] lacks the strength to be a top centre half in the premiership. I like centre halfs who stand up tall, like he did at Old Trafford, but he hasn't repeated that enough for me. Bassong looks by far the best and along with Taylor is our best central defensive pairing.

Guthrie was Keegans signing, at least he says he was, and he;s OK but a bottom half premiership player and a typical player you get for that price bracket. He might be a good lad but that is irrelevant in the cold light of day.

The others are, well, forgettable. Smith has been a huge disappointment, Viduka was nothing more than a cheap and poor replacement for Shearer.

The best signings made since Ashley have been Jonas and Beye by a country mile. Faye was solid it was disappointing to see him sold to Stoke. Enrique - one minute he looks good, the next he is poor. Maybe he is young and adapting, when Barton had a go at him for not tracking the other week he was right. Wrong to do it in the way he did, but right in what he thought. He is quite quick and strong, but I must admit I don't really like lazy minded defenders doing things like that too often, however good they may be on the ball.

Selling Given for the reasons he will leave, losing Owen, and the general situation at the club completely negates any of the few successes they have made in the transfer market, including allowing the squad to be so small, this is why we are now staring down right at the drop zone and to be honest, under the current policy we wouldn't have any chance of putting together the bricks to come back and make a better fist of it.

dude, if you posted more about football only matters you'd fuckin own 75% of the people on this board

I mainly meant since Wise has come in, so discarding Smith and Viduka as Allardyce signings I generally agree with you. I rate Coloccini, but he could do with a rest imo. Gone through spells of excellent and poor form, seems to be struggling for confidence imo.

Bassong has been a revelation. If we can get some other competent midfielders around him then Jonas will look better and better as the pressure comes off him imo. Guthrie's an interesting one. If he was 3rd choice cm and sat on the bench every week I'd be more than happy with him - he's very tidy, has the odd good game and works very hard. Sad fact of the matter is he shouldn't be a starter, but he's comfortably there at the moment.

I've seen so little of Xisco and Nacho they aren't worth me commenting on. Obviously haven't worked as it stands.

I mainly meant since Wise has come in, so discarding Smith and Viduka as Allardyce signings I generally agree with you. I rate Coloccini, but he could do with a rest imo. Gone through spells of excellent and poor form, seems to be struggling for confidence imo.

Bassong has been a revelation. If we can get some other competent midfielders around him then Jonas will look better and better as the pressure comes off him imo. Guthrie's an interesting one. If he was 3rd choice cm and sat on the bench every week I'd be more than happy with him - he's very tidy, has the odd good game and works very hard. Sad fact of the matter is he shouldn't be a starter, but he's comfortably there at the moment.

I've seen so little of Xisco and Nacho they aren't worth me commenting on. Obviously haven't worked as it stands.

The problem with Bassong is that in a few years down the line, if nothing changes, he'll be trotting out the same so called "attitude problem" that zoggy is now being slated for, when the problem isn't with the players, it's with the club.

The recruitment policy has failed basically, and too many players are now seeing us a dead loss of a club, which is why the ones that are here that can do better want to go. Yet they are keeping the person who is running the recruitment ?

As I said, aside of undermining the manager, this is the other single reason why this DOF bollocks is exactly that.