Journal 'sources': Newcastle offer £10m for Veloso

Baggio

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7853210.stm

Newcastle enter race for Veloso

Newcastle have joined Bolton in the race to sign Sporting Lisbon midfielder Miguel Veloso, BBC Sport understands.

The 22-year-old's agent Paulo Barbosa has claimed Manchester City are also interested in him.

BBC Radio 5 Live's senior football reporter Ian Dennis said: "Sporting are believed to value him at about £12m.

"More developments are expected in the next 24-48 hours. It appears Bolton, who have also made a bid, are still some way short of matching valuation."

Newcastle are desperate for new faces after Michael Owen and Joey Barton both suffered long-term injuries in the loss to Manchester City, to join an already extensive injury list.

But Magpies boss Joe Kinnear claimed he would struggle to make any further additions to his squad, with Magpies owner Mike Ashley suffering at the hands of the global economic downturn.

"Mike has lost £2bn quid in his own businesses and shares. He is just about paying the wages but it is not an easy situation," said Kinnear.

"You look at Tottenham paying £16m here and £14m there. I would love to spend money like that but I can't." Bolton opened talks with the player earlier this month, with manager Gary Megson describing him as a "quality act" who they would certainly try to attract to the Reebok Stadium.

"It's something we are trying to do but whether it comes to fruition is another thing," said Megson.

"He is a quality act. If we can do it we will try to bring him in. We have spoken to Sporting but that is all it is at the moment."

Veloso, who has seven caps for Portugal, has previously expressed an interest in playing abroad.

"He (Veloso) is not allowed to talk too much now about this subject but he is looking forward to seeing clubs reaching an agreement," added Barbosa.

"It is important to notice that Bolton are not alone. Manchester City have already shown interest in him.

"What may block the negotiations? Well if the bidders do not offer what Sporting Lisbon are looking at, for example."

Megson confirmed that such funds could be made available if they can find the right target.

"He certainly is expensive but that is not the issue," he added.

"If we can take the right player to (club owner) Eddie Davies there has never been an amount of money that he hasn't given us.

"If it is a player we think will improve us and it is do-able we will try to do it.

"We would like to bring in quality players but if they are not quality players we won't do it for the sake of it."

However, Veloso has made clear his contentment at Sporting and stressed at the weekend that he did not want to leave the club.

"I started at Sporting, it was Sporting that created me and I just have to thank Sporting for everything they have done for me," he told the club's website.

"I am happy at the Alvalade Stadium and I will continue to work to help the team achieve what we want. I am committed."

Even if we were capable of getting him to sign, I wouldn't be sure I'd want him here.

Could just be another N'Zogbia situation where he underachieves massively yet still unsettles the dressing room by begging for a "dream move" to Arsenal every window.

Even if we were capable of getting him to sign, I wouldn't be sure I'd want him here.

Could just be another N'Zogbia situation where he underachieves massively yet still unsettles the dressing room by begging for a "dream move" to Arsenal every window.

Here we go ...

The bizarre negative theories once we're linked with any half decent player.

Just think about what your saying here.

Do you want the club going for good players or not. You can't just assume they will all want out and act up all the time.

At the same time he could come in along with a few others and help turn things around and love it here as we are then on the up right?

Just chill out really.

Here we go ...

Do you want the club going for good players or not. You can't just assume they will all want out and act up all the time.

At the same time he could come in along with a few others and help turn things around and love it here as we are then on the up right?

Just chill out really.

This is hardly unwarranted negativity.

Have you not noticed that the player's stock has dropped massively in the past year? That he has a reputation for having a bad attitude and causing problems?

When a player is linked with Arsenal and Man United one window, then linked with Bolton and Newcastle the next, you know something seriously wrong is going on.

Just signing one midfielder isn't the answer. We need bodies, but able, capable bodies on this lad's (supposed) calibre. If we can get him and a RB in even, I'd be happy.

But this is good news, I hope Ashley awoke yesterday.

Here we go ...

Just chill out really.

This is hardly unwarranted negativity.

Have you not noticed that the player's stock has dropped massively in the past year? That he has a reputation for having a bad attitude and causing problems?

When a player is linked with Arsenal and Man United one window, then linked with Bolton and Newcastle the next, you know something seriously wrong is going on.

All that being said so maybe he isn't quite at the level of an Arsenal or Man U at this moment in time, if it means we have a chance  to sneak in there and get him then it might be worth the risk.

Sporting are a pretty competitive team and the guy is still pretty young. He probably hasn't got the consistency needed for a big team like Sporting at the mo and so he has been in and out which has frustrated him.

In our situation though he would get a chance to play every single game as we are that bad in central midfield and that may be exactly what he needs.

To easy just to right him off as a bad egg I think.

I'm wondering if Kinnear requested the £10 million for M'Bia but Ashley's felt it was more value going for Veloso for around the same amount.

If Veloso comes in and does well and begins to play up to his potential his value could be up in the £20 million bracket as it was being quoted when he first came through.

Guest Stephen927

Some comments from Veloso's agent, Barbosa...

When asked which side were currently leading the chase for Veloso, Barbosa remained coy but did make clear that tomorrow would be a decisive day for any projected transfer.

“Tomorrow everything will be made clear…”

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/13478/Agent_Velosos_England_move_definitely_still_on.aspx

Guest Heneage

The only plus with Ashley is he has the money but doesn't want to spend it. Just Veloso won't do ,you need Veloso and Donadel.

The only plus with Ashley is he has the money but doesn't want to spend it. Just Veloso won't do ,you need Veloso and Donadel.

I agree. We are going to need at least two central mids minimum.