Llambias Q&A with Chronicle: OP updated with Thursday's articles

Guest neesy111

Still a lie, and a very odd one at that.    bluelaugh.gif

So is Ashley’s plan to reduce the wage bill by £30m* a season, or does he have another strategy for balancing the books?

*£50m if you factor in recouping his £100m loan over the duration of the 5 year plan.

The wage bill is 70.4% of our operating expenses so that's got to be the most obvious area to go looking to make savings.  Targeting anything else as a starting point wouldn't make sense as the savings would me minimal in comparison.

In business you always go for savings in whatever area offers the greatest gains, 10% of a 100 is better than 50% of 5.

what a load of shite

mackems.gif

How is that a load of shite? Mick is spot on there, both in his analagy at the bottom with regards to the %'s and he's also right about the wage bill. If it is indeed 70.4% of expenditure (and I have no reason to doubt it) then that has to be the first place he looks at trimming. Obviously if someone was on £100,000 a week but got 35 goals a season or whatever then that would justify the wages, but when you look at the likes of Geremi, Owen, Smith, Viduka, Duff, Cacapa etc, these players offer nothing to the squad because they are either shite, made of glass, or both. In some cases (Smith, Cacapa, Viduka) we're basically paying them for nothing, as well as covering the cost of their rehab and physio.

I'd like to see you explain how that post is shite. My guess is just because it was Mick who posted it, maybe you should actually read it? It makes sense.

Yet the point is most of those were signed under Ashley, yet they don't seem to want to take responsibility for this. They are far too quick to lay the blame under the previous regime (who were far from perfect btw) without acknowledging their own mistakes for the extraordinary high wage bill that we have.

Apart from Cacapa the rest were signed when Shepherd was chairman and his boy was still negotiating deals.

I've read somewhere that our wage bill is 55% higher than Everton's, that's shocking.

your DOF is doing a great job.

So is Ashleys plan to reduce the wage bill by £30m* a season, or does he have another strategy for balancing the books?

*£50m if you factor in recouping his £100m loan over the duration of the 5 year plan.

The wage bill is 70.4% of our operating expenses so that's got to be the most obvious area to go looking to make savings.  Targeting anything else as a starting point wouldn't make sense as the savings would me minimal in comparison.

In business you always go for savings in whatever area offers the greatest gains, 10% of a 100 is better than 50% of 5.

what a load of s****

mackems.gif

How is that a load of s****? Mick is spot on there, both in his analagy at the bottom with regards to the %'s and he's also right about the wage bill. If it is indeed 70.4% of expenditure (and I have no reason to doubt it) then that has to be the first place he looks at trimming. Obviously if someone was on £100,000 a week but got 35 goals a season or whatever then that would justify the wages, but when you look at the likes of Geremi, Owen, Smith, Viduka, Duff, Cacapa etc, these players offer nothing to the squad because they are either s****, made of glass, or both. In some cases (Smith, Cacapa, Viduka) we're basically paying them for nothing, as well as covering the cost of their rehab and physio.

I'd like to see you explain how that post is s****. My guess is just because it was Mick who posted it, maybe you should actually read it? It makes sense.

Yet the point is most of those were signed under Ashley, yet they don't seem to want to take responsibility for this. They are far too quick to lay the blame under the previous regime (who were far from perfect btw) without acknowledging their own mistakes for the extraordinary high wage bill that we have.

Apart from Cacapa the rest were signed when Shepherd was chairman and his boy was still negotiating deals.

I've read somewhere that our wage bill is 55% higher than Everton's, that's shocking.

You make no sense sometimes, having a DOF may not be the best idea but he's actually done well with the players he has signed.  I am not arguing the about having a DOF or anything but to say Wise has done a bad job when you compare it to the previous regime is absolutely ludicrous.  Look at the players wise has signed.

Jonas - 4m or whatever, bargain

Bassong - 1.5M Bargain

Colo 10M - a little pricey but has started every game and looks to be worth his money

Guthrie - 2M Bargain

Ranger - Sod all -will be World's greatest player in 1 years time

Vuckic - 70k - Beat off competition from all over Europe for this lad and he looks good

Xisco - hasn't been given a chance but ok Doesn't look great

Nacho -You cannot really rate this is a signing as he's been i jured which in your eyes probably is Wise' fault for not having a crystal ball

So is Ashley’s plan to reduce the wage bill by £30m* a season, or does he have another strategy for balancing the books?

what a load of s****

mackems.gif

How is that a load of s****? Mick is spot on there, both in his analagy at the bottom with regards to the %'s and he's also right about the wage bill. If it is indeed 70.4% of expenditure (and I have no reason to doubt it) then that has to be the first place he looks at trimming. Obviously if someone was on £100,000 a week but got 35 goals a season or whatever then that would justify the wages, but when you look at the likes of Geremi, Owen, Smith, Viduka, Duff, Cacapa etc, these players offer nothing to the squad because they are either s****, made of glass, or both. In some cases (Smith, Cacapa, Viduka) we're basically paying them for nothing, as well as covering the cost of their rehab and physio.

I'd like to see you explain how that post is s****. My guess is just because it was Mick who posted it, maybe you should actually read it? It makes sense.

You make no sense sometimes, having a DOF may not be the best idea but he's actually done well with the players he has signed.  I am not arguing the about having a DOF or anything but to say Wise has done a bad job when you compare it to the previous regime is absolutely ludicrous.  Look at the players wise has signed.

Jonas - 4m or whatever, bargain

Bassong - 1.5M Bargain

Colo 10M - a little pricey but has started every game and looks to be worth his money

Guthrie - 2M Bargain

Ranger - Sod all -will be World's greatest player in 1 years time

Vuckic - 70k - Beat off competition from all over Europe for this lad and he looks good

Xisco - hasn't been given a chance but ok Doesn't look great

Nacho -You cannot really rate this is a signing as he's been i jured which in your eyes probably is Wise' fault for not having a crystal ball

you'll get milner, given & owen thrown at you in a slight of hand routine on a par with hitting someone over the back of the head with a baseball bat

been knawing at me this one, through the NUSC rally/jamboree thread....FUCK these wise out clowns, i mean it....someone come to me with a constructed, backed up reason why wise is hated & should be out of the club, otherwise shut the fuck up

all the "evidence" we have is that working to a budget, which isn't his fault might i point out to some people, wise or wise as part of the team are doing a decent job, more than decent

it's NE5 himself who says in defence of the cash-splashing that went on under FS you can't get it right 100% of the time so i'll take nacho and xisco there myself...imo they're well ahead since being installed in the club and i defy anyone to show me otherwise

been knawing at me this one, through the NUSC rally/jamboree thread....FUCK these wise out clowns, i mean it....someone come to me with a constructed, back up reason why wise is hated & should be out of the club, otherwise shut the fuck up

Quoted for absolute truth, I'm also sick to death of the whole thing.

Whinge, whinge without any constructive suggestions. Even the complaints are based on assumption and speculation, it's embarrassing.

been knawing at me this one, through the NUSC rally/jamboree thread....FUCK these wise out clowns, i mean it....someone come to me with a constructed, back up reason why wise is hated & should be out of the club, otherwise shut the fuck up

Whinge, whinge without any constructive suggestions. Even the complaints are based on assumption and speculation, it's embarrassing.

indubitably sir

been knawing at me this one, through the NUSC rally/jamboree thread....f*** these wise out clowns, i mean it....someone come to me with a constructed, back up reason why wise is hated & should be out of the club, otherwise shut the f*** up

Exactly, I honestly am glad we have Wise here especially if JFK is our long term manager.  If he brings in the quality we brought in last summer I'll be happy, I'd like more signings but I'm pretty sure Wise doesn't sign the cheques.

Exactly, I honestly am glad we have Wise here especially if JFK is our long term manager.  If he brings in the quality we brought in last summer I'll be happy, I'd like more signings but I'm pretty sure Wise doesn't sign the cheques.

see i'm not sure i'd even agree with that 100% 'cause i have no idea to what extent the decisions being made are down to DW but i would say on some level SOMETHING works in the player recruitment part and yes we need someone who is not :kinnear: making these decisions

i'd like to see what they could do with some decent money personally

see i'm not sure i'd even agree with that 100% 'cause i have no idea to what extent the decisions being made are down to DW but i would say on some level SOMETHING works in the player recruitment part and yes we need someone who is not :kinnear: making these decisions

i'd like to see what they could do with some decent money personally

Yeah, lets just hope we have a decent budget this summer,  I reckon it will be ok I'd say it would have been 10m but witht he sales hopefully 18 and I think Wise could do alot with that.

Unless Wise is our manager I'd like him to leave as I believe the manager should have complete control over the playing staff. I'm not comfortable with the director of football concept and don't feel it works. If Wise is just a glorified scout then I've no problem with him, but his title, the comments from the MD and the entire Keegan affair suggest he has much more influence than that. The fact that he has absolutely no prior experience in the DOF role or even a basic affinity with the club doesn't help either.

How's that? ;)

Unless Wise is our manager I'd like him to leave as I believe the manager should have complete control over the playing staff. I'm not comfortable with the director of football concept and don't feel it works. If Wise is just a glorified scout then I've no problem with him, but his title, the comments from the MD and the entire Keegan affair suggest he has much more influence than that.

How's that? ;)

so it's not Wise you have a problem with then, but the role

not so sure others agree with that

Unless Wise is our manager I'd like him to leave as I believe the manager should have complete control over the playing staff. I'm not comfortable with the director of football concept and don't feel it works. If Wise is just a glorified scout then I've no problem with him, but his title, the comments from the MD and the entire Keegan affair suggest he has much more influence than that.

How's that? ;)

I made a slight edit above to add in the fact that it's easy to focus on Wise as he has no previous in this role, no prior connection to club and was disliked by many during his playing days (though neither of the latter two really matter). It's not a good combination.

How's that? ;)

I made a slight edit above to add in the fact that it's easy to focus on Wise as he has no previous in this role, no prior connection to club and was disliked by many during his playing days (though neither of the latter two really matter). It's not a good combination.

I agree no DOF would be best but I can't see it happening, it also seemed in Jan as if JFK actually signed the players he wanted.  I think in the future we'll see the odd signing for the first team probably quite young from Wise but the manager will do most of it.  Like I said Wise has done a good job and it's unfair to say otherwise.

Saying he's done a good job are exactly the same type of assumptions seeing as nobody really knows what he does. If people can't criticise because they don't know the full story it's hardly fair to then praise him based on the same lack of information.

We can only go off where we are at this point in time on the pitch. It's not great, is it?

Saying he's done a good job are exactly the same type of assumptions seeing as nobody really knows what he does.

He recruits players.

Damn you and your high speed editing.

Fair enough we are crap on the pitch, but it's obvious he recruits players, Keegan said as much.  I remember him saying a few times Dennis or Tony rang him up and said we've got this player then Keegan checking them on Youtube.

Saying he's done a good job are exactly the same type of assumptions seeing as nobody really knows what he does.

He recruits players.

So it's his fault Keegan walked and we ended up in complete and utter turmoil? That'll be why people want him out then.

See what I mean?

He recruits players.

So it's his fault Keegan walked and we ended up in complete and utter turmoil? That'll be why people want him out then.

See what I mean?

No I fully understand why people want him out, I'm just saying he won't be sacked and he does a good job.

I give up.

Ha, I'm just saying if someone offered you a 1m a year job when you're out of work and it's in an area you like you'd take it and if you do a good job thats fair play.  I agree I don't want a DOF, I don't even think we have different views, so this is probably pointlesss and a waste of bandwidth.

He recruits players.

See what I mean?

No I fully understand why people want him out, I'm just saying he won't be sacked and he does a good job.

How do you know he does a good job when you don't even know what it is?

People go on about what a twat Wise was as a player, but I wonder if he was that much of a twat as a person given that he seems to have formed strong friendships with distinguished foreign imports such as Zola, Deschamps and Poyet. That could be seen as quite forward-looking on his part, as the quality of signings he's turned up for us suggests that he has a pretty good network out there.

I don't think it matters a damn whether or not he has any "natural affinity" for the Toon.

People go on about what a twat Wise was as a player, but I wonder if he was that much of a twat as a person given that he seems to have formed strong friendships with distinguished foreign imports such as Zola, Deschamps and Poyet. That could be seen as quite forward-looking on his part, as the quality of signings he's turned up for us suggests that he has a pretty good network out there.

I don't think it matters a damn whether or not he has any "natural affinity" for the Toon.

Neither do I, that's why I said neither of those matter.

He recruits players.

See what I mean?

We know he recruits players, other wise his job title wouldn't be Executive Director (Football) - Recruitment or something to that effect I remember reaing it when he signed and thinking thats a bloody weird job title.  I'll find a link later when I have enough time.

He recruits players.

See what I mean?

We know he recruits players, other wise his job title wouldn't be Executive Director (Football) - Recruitment or something to that effect I remember reaing it when he signed and thinking thats a bloody weird job title.  I'll find a link later when I have enough time.

I was under the impression it was his job to recruit young talent. However in January Kinnear then stated he'd need to speak to Wise about his first team signings.