Portsmouth go for Sven

KaKa

Hasnt Sven proven that although he is a canny manager, he needs an absolute shitload of money to succeed?

It's just that his last 2 club sides have been City and Lazio who gave him alot, i don't really know why people think he is a chequebook manager.

Hasnt Sven proven that although he is a canny manager, he needs an absolute shitload of money to succeed?

It's just that his last 2 club sides have been City and Lazio who gave him alot, i don't really know why people think he is a chequebook manager.

It's just another lazy clique from people with no knowledge of his CV. I suppose Martin O'Neil is a 'chequebook manager' now too, never mind what he did and Wycombe and Leicester.

Guest Heneage

Sven is a fantastic club manager. Internationally not so good, but one of the best club managers.

What's that based on?

His un-questionably superior club experience and acheivements im guessing.

Not questioning his club coaching ability, but not so good internationally?

To be honest he's f***ed up the Mexico job big style ,losing to the likes of Jamica, and saying how he doesn't see the problem in using Naturalized players for "El Tricolor" (The Nickname for the national side). When he came out with that he lost a lot of fans instantly, Mexico is a very proud country, some of its club teams like Chivas only use homegrown players, they outright refuse foreigners, something that transcends into the national side with sections of the Mexican public.

That's not to say they have never used these type of players, Antonio Naelson or "Sinha" as he is known was born in Brazil, has played for the national team and was part of the 2006 World Cup squad. So far he's only called up Matias Vuoso to my knowledge who is not Mexican born, you may remember him from his rather forgettable time at Man City. What does make the Vuoso situation slightly worse is the fact he's Argentine, and if there's one things Mexicans hate its an Argentine.

It would be interesting to see how England fans would re-act if Capello called up Cudicini, Almunia, and Arteta. I doubt there'd be as much of a fuss really.

As for Sven as a club manager, he would probably demand investment.

Sven is a fantastic club manager. Internationally not so good, but one of the best club managers.

What's that based on?

His un-questionably superior club experience and acheivements im guessing.

Not questioning his club coaching ability, but not so good internationally?

To be honest he's fucked up the Mexico job big style ,losing to the likes of Jamica, and saying how he doesn't see the problem in using Naturalized players for "El Tricolor" (The Nickname for the national side). When he came out with that he lost a lot of fans instantly, Mexico is a very proud country, some of its club teams like Chivas only use homegrown players, they outright refuse foreigners, something that transcends into the national side with sections of the Mexican public.

That's not to say they have never used these type of players, Antonio Naelson or "Sinha" as he is known was born in Mexico, has played for the national team and was part of the 2006 World Cup squad. So far he's only called up Matias Vuoso to my knowledge who is not Mexican born, you may remember him from his rather forgettable time at Man City. What does make the Vuoso situation slightly worse is the fact he's Argentine, and if there's one things Mexicans hate its an Argentine.

It would be interesting to see how England fans would re-act if Capello called up Cudicini, Almunia, and Arteta. I doubt there'd be as much of a fuss really.

As for Sven as a club manager, he would probably demand investment.

As long as they aren't German  :bluestar:

This is definitively going to be the most ridicolous story EVER to tell your grandchildren if Psmouth gets Sven and we didn't even try, someone please make something hit mr. Derek!

Even though someone might see him as a "chequebook"-manager he has proven that he can do wonders with pretty unfamiliar players at both club and national levels.

Svenny will want out of Mexico as many are expecting a fucking riot when Mexico lose there next fixture against the USA. The forward thinking Yanks have have put the game on in Ohio where they hoping the shitty weather will play its part.

Guest LucaAltieri

This

Aye.

I hope they get him. He'll take them down, no problem.

He couldn't get the best out of the likes of Gerrard so he's not suddenly going to turn Portsmouth into world beaters.

Guest Heneage

How much did he spend with City though?

Elano £8m, Petrov £5m, Gelson £4.2m, Benjani £4.3m, Garrido £3m.

So just under £25m assuming I've not left any out.

Caicedo £6m, Bojinov £6m, Bianchi £8.8m, Corluka £?m

Guest Stephen927

Rolano Bianchi - £8.8m

Geovanni - FREE

Elano - £8m

Gelson Fernandes - £4.2m

Martin Petrov - £4.7m

Javier Garrido - £1.5m

Vedran Corluka - £8m

Valeri Bojinov - £5.7m

Felipe Caicedo - £5.2m

Benjani - £3.8m

TOTAL - £49.9m

Guest Heneage

Caicedo £6m, Bojinov £6m, Bianchi £8.8m, Corluka £?m

Ah yes forgot about Bianchi. Fair point then.

Mate of mine has a source, says its Keane for the Pompey job. Probably bollocks, just thought id put it out there.

:dance:

yes please!

His odds have shortened overnight on Skybet from 14-1 to 9. Please appoint him Pompey!

Guest The Libertine

Mate of mine has a source, says its Keane for the Pompey job. Probably bollocks, just thought id put it out there.

:dance:

yes please!

His odds have shortened overnight on Skybet from 14-1 to 9. Please appoint him Pompey!

he was at 66/1 down to 6/1 yesterday on coral. that's big money for an outsider.