"We Want Shepherd Out" Protest.

johnnypd

As much as I would like Shepherd to **** off in an ideal world, I'm pretty sceptical about Belgravia. I'm no expert, but my brother is a surveyor and has read some articles in property/estates journals which have described Belgravia as ruthless. He's spoken to people more senior than himself and the consensus is that they'll only go in for stuff to make some quick money.

I was under the impression that St James' was protected due to the fact that the council own the leasehold, however he has found out that things were changed when there was the issue over the new stadium.

The Council of course wanted to keep NUFC in the city and changed the lease allowing NUFC to do whatver the wished with the site.

Of course the club's plan at the time was to move to Castle Leazes and convert the SJP site into a mini arena and parkland.

The impression my brother has is that if Belgravia took over NUFC, they would move us out of town, and convert the SJP site into some sort of property development, which would be extremely valuable and desirable given its location.

Would Belgravia not just try and buy some of the land off the brewery if they wanted to use the land for building?  I'm sure they could find a cheaper way of building without buying a small aomunt of land with an expensive stadium on it.

Guest Gemmill

shepherd out protestors. handsome bunch...

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/72408087.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A67E7621E3BA057FC2329DF394FE942516

Argh man, it's stupid kids again.  That does nothing for the credability of the cause.  They dont have a clue, theyre just charvs wanting to vent  agression.

It wasn't all kids, it was people of all ages, the kids have just as much right to call for Shepherds head as anybody.

In this instance, I wouldn't care if it was all kids, although it's clear from the TV footage that it wasn't.  I'm just glad people are taking a stand.  I walked past the area where the gathering was when I left the ground, but must have passed there too early as it hadn't started by then.

Guest pedros-mighty-chin

i was there singing my heart out and I'm an educated lad in my late 20's who doesn't own a tracksuit or wear a baseball cap.

as usual the few pictures that have been published don't tell the full story.....

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/72408087.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A67E7621E3BA057FC2329DF394FE942516

Argh man, it's stupid kids again.  That does nothing for the credability of the cause.  They dont have a clue, theyre just charvs wanting to vent  agression.

It wasn't all kids, it was people of all ages, the kids have just as much right to call for Shepherds head as anybody.

In this instance, I wouldn't care if it was all kids, although it's clear from the TV footage that it wasn't.  I'm just glad people are taking a stand.  I walked past the area where the gathering was when I left the ground, but must have passed there too early as it hadn't started by then.

By the time I got down it was in full swing and seemed to be everybody who passed the main entrance, once people got passed they seemed to go quiet only for the ones behind them to start.

I didn't see those who were in the photograph gethering, that must have happened a bit later, good stuff and deserved.

We don't go that way home but I knew it was coming so headed doon that way, started singing  as soon as we left the groud thouhg where the bookies is at the leezes end.

Thats the problem with doing it outside the gorund to many are ina hurry to get home and head off in other directions, doing it in the match is still the best way of doing it.

Its a shame that there wasn't more banners etc, not just that T-shirt as that shows it was pre-meditated and the fluke in Italy simply wasn't enough to appease some.

It just looks like knee-jerk unfortunately, where we will be called (by those who aint got a clue) as daft fans, expecting, blah blah bollocks.

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/72408191.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A6A16D545AFF9D6964EC7C5022FB410D56

I wouldn't mind getting that on the side of a mug for my old man for Xmas :lol:

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/sundaysun/news/tm_headline=fury-at-toon-gloom%26method=full%26objectid=18047996%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

Fury at Toon gloom Nov 5 2006

By Coreena Ford, The Sunday Sun

Angry Newcastle supporters staged a demonstration outside St James's Park last night calling for the board to quit.

Dozens of police officers, some on horseback, were sent to the stadium to disperse a crowd of as many as 1000 fans who bellowed "sack the board" after the club fell to 19th place in the Premiership.

The protest followed the Magpies' 1-0 defeat to Sheffield United - newcomers to the league this season - plunging the club deeper into crisis after failing to win a league game on home turf since the opening day of the season.

The defeat puts Newcastle clear of bottom club Charlton only on goal difference.

Glenn Roeder's players were booed from the pitch as the crowd turned on chairman Freddy Shepherd, who is currently out of the country with his wife Lorelle, both during and after the game.

After the final score was greeted angrily from the stands, hundreds made their way to the club's reception area to air their frustration.

Steven Stevenson, 20, of Blyth, Northumberland, said: "We were all chanting `sack the board' and `Shepherd out'. They've got to go.

"The players they've bought just don't want to play for the club, they play for their pay packet, and many of them are injured so are getting £60,000 a week for doing nothing."

Hopes were raised that Newcastle would find their form once more, following a good performance in the UEFA Cup last Thursday, when Roeder's men beat Italian Serie A league leaders Palermo 1-0.

Fan Steven Smith, 21, of Blyth, said: "They certainly haven't brought their form back from Italy. It was a poor performance. We've got to get Shepherd and the board out because they are wasting money on players."

Gavin Wilson, 20, also of Blyth, agreed: "Over the last seven years they've spent £30m to £35m on rubbish players.

"It's not Roeder's fault . . . it's the board. We want them out."

Billy Lynn, 55, a supporter since 1962, of Birtley, Gateshead, said after the match: "I'm very disappointed. The club wants to have a harsh look at itself.

"I don't think the manager's to blame but I think he should do the decent thing and resign because the players don't want to play for him and they've failed the Geordies for the last five seasons." Manager Glenn Roeder remained defiant, despite admitting that he could hear the fans' chants.

He said: "I'd be a liar if I said I did not hear them. Of course I heard them, and the players all heard them as well. But - in capital letters - the responsibility for results is mine and nobody else's, and that is how it should be with a manager.

"I do not feel under pressure, no. I have been around too long. I do not feel under pressure whatsoever. If I do not feel under pressure, I am not fearful of my job."

Roeder, who has fought his way back to health following a brain tumour, said he was determined to turn the club's fortunes around.

He said: "Three-and-a-half years ago I was flat on my back. I am standing up now, and it is great to get out of bed every day. I am not happy - really unhappy - with this situation. It is not nice, but it needs someone with broad shoulders, it needs players with broad shoulders.

"They must not stand behind me. I will not let them stand behind me. They have to stand alongside me and come out fighting."

A spokesman for Northumbria Police said four arrests were made outside the ground for drunk and disorderly behaviour.

It may not be a tune to match the Blaydon Races, but the chant of "sack the board" is similarly steeped in Geordie culture.

And its first airing at St James's Park yesterday for more than a decade and a half marked the return of the dark old days at Newcastle United.

A whole generation of junior Magpie fans have grown up without raising their voices against the club's powers-that- be.

But Newcastle's slump to within one place of the bottom of the Premiership prompted supporters young and old to vent their spleen, in time-honoured Geordie fashion, on chairman Freddy Shepherd.

In the 1970s, it was Lord "The Pirate" Westwood who bore the brunt of fans' fury at Newcastle's slide into the old Second Division.

In the late 1980s, barrister Gordon McKeag presided over another relegation which prompted a mood of all-out revolt on the terraces. Now, after 15-plus years of near-triumphant peaks and depressing troughs on the pitch- but little transition off it - rebellion is back in the air.

And Shepherd, having entered the United boardoom courtesy of the coup which toppled McKeag, knows full well the power of the people on Tyneside.

Although talk of a takeover has roused the fans to demand change, the man whose family made their name in scrap metal has seemed set on staying put at St James's.

And, given that he was in Majorca rather than the director's box yesterday, it remains to be seen whether the ferocity of the fans' uprising against him will prompt a change of heart.

But the Geordie electorate have spoken.

And with history telling us their next move will be to vote with their feet, even darker days may lie ahead for Shepherd . . . and for Newcastle United.

Try this. bluebiggrin.gif

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2006510348,00.html

Email your opinions too

YOU can send in your views HERE - for possible inclusion in The Sun newspaper.

Tell us what you think of ANY Premiership issues.   

Your shout on Toon

ARE Newcastle fans right to blame the board for the club's latest plight?

The Toon went second bottom after lowly Sheffield United triumphed 1-0 at St James' Park.

Magpies boss Glenn Roeder says criticism should be aimed at him following a Premiership start of just two wins and eight points from 11 games.

But few managers other than Kevin Keegan and Bobby Robson have thrived at Newcastle over the past two decades.

So should the board stand down for making the wrong choices?

Or is stability the key - meaning Roeder, too, should be given more time?

Click HERE - for possible inclusion in The Sun newspaper.

Guest The Fox

Its a takeover or as I said yesterday a DOF. Thats the likely scenario IMO.

The club is so shambolic and full of bullshit thats who knows what will happen next.

One thing you can be sure of the Hierarchy and Manager will not lose out money wise.

very good times article about the match and general situation:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,30270-2439267,00.html

Rebellion is in the air on Tyneside

By George Caulkin

Newcastle United 0 Sheffield United 1

FOOTBALL SUPPORTERS ARE OFTEN accused of being fickle, but seldom those born with the life sentence of allegiance to Newcastle United, for whom loyalty is both a towering strength and brittle flaw. As the chants of “Shepherd Out” and “Sack the board,” consumed St James’ Park on Saturday evening, scuffles broke out in the Gallowgate End. Rebellion hurts.

Militancy on Tyneside is a serious matter; fans know it, Glenn Roeder — a former captain of the club — knows it and so, too, does Freddy Shepherd, who yesterday flew home from Spain, where he has been caring for his sick wife. With the transfer window closed until January, with no managerial successor in place, Shepherd can hardly pull a rabbit from his hat. Foundations built on sand are quivering.

It may be too late for Shepherd’s response to Newcastle’s latest, weary brush with strife to define him as a chairman — he is stained by a record of mid-season dismissals — but it could define him as a man. After this dismal 1-0 defeat by Sheffield United, Roeder shielded his employer from blame; it is time Shepherd similarly embraced responsibility. He will address the issue this afternoon and unity will be his theme.

With the Belgravia Group mulling over the possibility of a takeover, with the crowd turning, with private distress, it would appear an easy, opportune moment for Shepherd to step down. As things stand, he will not do so.

“Freddy knows that he’s being made the scapegoat for what’s happened this season,” a source close to him said. “But he’s not a quitter. He won’t walk away.”

On Roeder’s future, comments uttered by Alan Shearer on Match of the Day were reiterated. “Glenn has his hands tied,” Newcastle’s erstwhile talisman said. “All he has is (Giuseppe) Rossi, which is why they’re struggling, so at the moment a new manager coming in is not going to help at all. Glenn is trying his best.” While Shearer’s name was serenaded, little dissent has been directed at Roeder from the stands.

Yet the weekend’s performance was so bad, so insipid — Steve Harper and Nicky Butt had both described the fixture as the “biggest game of the season” — that signs of sharp improvement must be seen in tomorrow’s Carling Cup tie at Watford and league matches away to Manchester City and Arsenal. “For people to be talking about relegation is premature, but I have to make sure this was a one-off,” Roeder said.

Roeder’s appointment followed Shepherd’s courtship of Martin O’Neill and Sam Allardyce but, in his unassuming manner, the Londoner has brought about necessary change. Finishing seventh in the league and claiming a berth in the Uefa Cup were triumphs; coaching has improved, the academy is sturdy and a computerised player assessment system has been implemented, but signings remain the club’s folly.

From Patrick Kluivert, Butt and Celestine Babayaro to Albert Luque, from Sir Bobby Robson to Graeme Souness, there have been meaty boardroom fingerprints on Newcastle’s transfers. Desperate to sign a centre half last summer, Roeder did not share Shepherd’s fondness for Jonathan Woodgate; the delay cost them Robert Huth, Woodgate, Zat Knight, or any other defender.

Elsewhere, Obafemi Martins is unproven in the Barclays Premiership, Damien Duff is presently a no-trick pony, Rossi is being groomed for Old Trafford and Antoine Sibierski fodder for a squad that was tiny before it was undermined by injuries. In the circumstances, the decision to accept television money and confront Neil Warnock’s team (who were happy to play) less than 48 hours after visiting Palermo was greedy and ludicrous. It was not Roeder’ s.

That said, of 14 players clad in monochrome, nine were full internationals and most discredited their shirts. They had no answer to Danny Webber’s 68th-minute headed goal; both sides struck the woodwork, Newcastle with a cross. “We’re lacking character and mental strength, certainly when we go behind,” Harper said. “If you don’t have those things, you shouldn’t be at this club. It’s tin-hat time.”

Dignity and resilience can be expected from Roeder. “It goes without saying that the chairman is not out there playing,” he said. “I have complete responsibility for the team and would not want it any other way. I will not hide behind the chairman or anybody. I expect to be standing up there, because I’m the manager. The boys put on a performance which is just unacceptable.”

Sheffield United were honest, passionate, enthusiastic and doused in sweat. Their win was based on the minimum standards and basic requirements that Newcastle lacked. That was the story that provoked reaction; the jeers, the fights, the protest, police on horseback clearing demonstrators. Rebellion hurts. Loyalty hurts.

• 1 month later...

This 'kids' our our future supporter.So they are equally as important.

well I know one person in that photo  :winking:

It wasn't Leazes Mag, I know what he looks like!

it must have been thick mick then !!!

SShhh...he thinks everyone who agrees with me is my brother  :lol:

Almost 7 weeks for that reply, jesus wept you're a sad man old Steve..