U23s & Academy

Skirge

No real surprise both reserve and U18 teams have tailed off when you realise many of the players are playing for both.

Surely there has an expectation at those levels of getting some poor results?  If U18 players are being pushed to progress by playing for the reserves and 16 year olds are playing in the U18 team, you cant necessarily expect victories more often than not.  At that age, development of the players is far more important than the results of the team.  You hope that the two go hand in hand but that is not often the case.

Yep shows there very little quality even close to coming through.  :dave:

At the very least, Carroll's already made it, Vukcic looks like he's going to be pretty damn awesome, and Kadar would have probably made the first team by now if he didn't break his leg. And even if only one or two of the others get anywhere near the first team, we'll have done about as well as most of the youth academies in the country.

So while there's no sense screaming "play the kids," I wouldn't lose all hope quite yet  :aww:

Based on what exactly?

:lol:

Doom and gloom.

Not seen him play, but seems to be doing well in the chances he is getting..

Guest toonlass

The bairns beat the boro on Teeside yesterday 3-1. McCrudden, Vuckic and Airey scored for us.

Northumberland Senior Cup final at SJP tonight v Ashington, ko 7pm,  £3 to get in.

Newcastle have a strong line up playing

Krul, tavernier, Ferguson, Donaldson, Tozer, Lough, danquah, Lualua, ranger, Xisco, Vukcic.

With the feel good factor in the club after last night i could see a goal feast tonight,  could easily see us knocking in at least 6  goals.

Guest toonlass

Feel a bit torn tbh, cos obviously I would like to see the reserves win the cup, but being born and bred in Ashington I know how much they would like to win it and I have a few friends going to the game to cheer them on.

Well played, good to see us retain the cup. I wonder if Xisco might get a look in for the first-team bench? Can only assume he lasted just 53 minutes to keep him fresh for Saturday, perhaps?

I notice Shola is nowhere to be seen for the stiffs again.

Decent game tonight with a comfortable win,  Ashington giving a good account of themselves but 4-0 flattered them with a case of sloppy finishing and NUFC guilty of overplaying and trying to walk the ball into net. 

Game got off to a flying start when Lualua shot from 25 yards went straight to Xisco about 12 yards out who slipped it past the keeper after 70 seconds.  NUmerous missed chances followed before Tozer prodded home from close range from a corner.

8 mins into the 2nd half Xisco scored again from close range after the Ashington keeper failed to hold a powerful Vukcic shot.  Xisco was then subbed before the game restarted.  Although he scored 2 he was pretty anonymous and showed very little in way of skill, effort or desire to be on the pitch.

Newcastle's 4th goal was scored by Donninger who had replaced Lua lua,  the latter stages saw NUFC totally over run a worn out Ashington side and firing shots in from all angles,  closest was a 25 yarder by Danquah that struck the bar and Ashingtons keeper pulling off some excellent saves,  i lost count of the number of corners we had.

Decent game tonight with a comfortable win,  Ashington giving a good account of themselves but 4-0 flattered them with a case of sloppy finishing and NUFC guilty of overplaying and trying to walk the ball into net. 

Game got off to a flying start when Lualua shot from 25 yards went straight to Xisco about 12 yards out who slipped it past the keeper after 70 seconds.  NUmerous missed chances followed before Tozer prodded home from close range from a corner.

8 mins into the 2nd half Xisco scored again from close range after the Ashington keeper failed to hold a powerful Vukcic shot.  Xisco was then subbed before the game restarted.  Although he scored 2 he was pretty anonymous and showed very little in way of skill, effort or desire to be on the pitch.

Newcastle's 4th goal was scored by Donninger who had replaced Lua lua,  the latter stages saw NUFC totally over run a worn out Ashington side and firing shots in from all angles,  closest was a 25 yarder by Danquah that struck the bar and Ashingtons keeper pulling off some excellent saves,  i lost count of the number of corners we had.

How was Vuckic generally binnsy?  Is he the one we should be looking forward to?

He done ok, nothing brilliant,  he does look like he could have a good future and i would say he is the one to watch,  he played wide left which i don't think is his best position. 

He's the opposite to the likes Danquah who was playing on the right or Baheng who didn't get off the bench,  Vukcic plays everything one or 2 touch, always finds space, gets it, plays it and moves,  Danquah and Baheng get it and keep it, head down and dribble.  I much prefer the style of Vukcic, hopefully next season we may see him push towards the first team, although i think he's still only 16 so may still be early.

My dad was saying in the car that he's hoping we will stop up so these kids can continue to develop and come through,  the kids he meant were Tavernier, Ferguson, Vukcic, Ranger(had a mare tonight!), Inman.