U23s & Academy

Skirge

One of this boards own used to play football with this kid, where are ya, lets be having ya.

HULL CITY: Magpies snub gave Cullen the fire to become Tigers hotshot

HULL City starlet Mark Cullen says rejection by his boyhood heroes Newcastle United proved the catalyst for his rise to Premier League football.

For it was after being released from the north-east club that he was converted from a defender into a goal-poaching sensation.

Cullen was used as a centre-half and right-back by Newcastle from the age of seven to 14, only to then be shown the door.

But in going on to bag 70 goals in one season for his local under-16s side Ashington, Cullen secured a move to the Tigers two years ago and hasn't looked back.

Now he is hoping he can score the goals to lead City to a quick return to top-flight football.

"I got released by Newcastle when I was 14 and that was a big disappointment at the time," Cullen told the Mail.

"It was my hometown club and they'd been the only club I'd ever wanted to play for.

"But you just have to keep going when you get a rejection like that and thankfully Hull City have given me a big chance.

"Things like that can make you stronger. I can remember feeling really down when it happened but my Grandparents up in the north-east kept me going, and here I am."

Joining City on a summer trial in 2008, he was handed a chance to impress by head of youth development Billy Russell.

And back in his preferred role of striker, Cullen didn't take long to impress in the position he has always believed to be his best.

"I'd been a striker before I went to Newcastle but when I went there I got put in defence," he said.

"Once I left there I went back up front again and started scoring goals again. That's when I got spotted by Hull and got a scholarship here as a striker."

Having enjoyed a sparkling year at youth and reserve team level, the Northumberland-born teenager was handed his Premier League debut against Sunderland 11 days ago.

A tally of 33 goals saw him agree a two-year professional deal with the Tigers last month and an unforgettable campaign will now climax with a chance to shine against Liverpool at the KC Stadium on Sunday.

Cullen admits he has been surprised to see his first-team introduction come so quickly but he is determined to seize his chance.

"I didn't really see my chance coming this year," he added.

"I started the season as a youth team player and just thought that all I could do was try my best in the youth team, score a few goals and get a contract at the end of the season.

"It's happened a lot faster than that and I'm just pleased to see how things have gone.

"I want to play as many games as I can for the club now and get a few goals under my belt to get us back in the Premier League next season."

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/sport/Hull-City-want-Premier-League-says-Cullen/article-2109611-detail/article.html

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

The goodbye list:

Jonny Godsmark

Wesley Ngo Baheng

Callum Morris

Darren Lough

Frank Waife Danquah (what will Nile do now?!)

On the fringe of the unknown:

Daniel Leadbitter

Matthew Grieves

James Taylor

Though you've got to believe that they'll be gone too, Leadbitter and Taylor have hardly played in the year 2010, Leadbitter only making a handful appearances within the 09/10 season full stop. Sadly, I think the injuries these two young mags picked up last season have cost them a year's worth of development they could have done with, if only to show themselves in front of the ever changing Youth Management.

Guest toonlass

The goodbye list:

Jonny Godsmark

Wesley Ngo Baheng

Callum Morris

Darren Lough

Frank Waife Danquah (what will Nile do now?!)

On the fringe of the unknown:

Daniel Leadbitter

Matthew Grieves

James Taylor

Though you've got to believe that they'll be gone too, Leadbitter and Taylor have hardly played in the year 2010, Leadbitter only making a handful appearances within the 09/10 season full stop. Sadly, I think the injuries these two young mags picked up last season have cost them a year's worth of development they could have done with, if only to show themselves in front of the ever changing Youth Management.

No real surprises there then.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Not really, though Tommo seemed to rate Lough, at least enough to make him Reserve Captain and play him nearly every game (even if it was at Right Back).

Not really, though Tommo seemed to rate Lough, at least enough to make him Reserve Captain and play him nearly every game (even if it was at Right Back).

Word is he gooshed his left side & he was played at right back to add another string to his bow for the scouts watching. Allardyce rated him very highly.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Ah, well, that makes sense. He wasn't terrible by any means, and you could see the potential in him to develop a bit of strength into his game. Can't question his fitness at all. Wonder where he'll end up.

nufcblog.com saying Stephen Folan, Haris Vuckic, Samuel Adjei, Brad Inman and Phil Airey have all been promoted to senior squad. Any truth in this? I'd imagine Inman and Vuckic were certain, but the rest?

That was in the Chronicle tonight at the end of the Moncur article.

One of this boards own used to play football with this kid, where are ya, lets be having ya.

HULL CITY: Magpies snub gave Cullen the fire to become Tigers hotshot

HULL City starlet Mark Cullen says rejection by his boyhood heroes Newcastle United proved the catalyst for his rise to Premier League football.

For it was after being released from the north-east club that he was converted from a defender into a goal-poaching sensation.

Cullen was used as a centre-half and right-back by Newcastle from the age of seven to 14, only to then be shown the door.

But in going on to bag 70 goals in one season for his local under-16s side Ashington, Cullen secured a move to the Tigers two years ago and hasn't looked back.

Now he is hoping he can score the goals to lead City to a quick return to top-flight football.

"I got released by Newcastle when I was 14 and that was a big disappointment at the time," Cullen told the Mail.

"It was my hometown club and they'd been the only club I'd ever wanted to play for.

"But you just have to keep going when you get a rejection like that and thankfully Hull City have given me a big chance.

"Things like that can make you stronger. I can remember feeling really down when it happened but my Grandparents up in the north-east kept me going, and here I am."

Joining City on a summer trial in 2008, he was handed a chance to impress by head of youth development Billy Russell.

And back in his preferred role of striker, Cullen didn't take long to impress in the position he has always believed to be his best.

"I'd been a striker before I went to Newcastle but when I went there I got put in defence," he said.

"Once I left there I went back up front again and started scoring goals again. That's when I got spotted by Hull and got a scholarship here as a striker."

Having enjoyed a sparkling year at youth and reserve team level, the Northumberland-born teenager was handed his Premier League debut against Sunderland 11 days ago.

A tally of 33 goals saw him agree a two-year professional deal with the Tigers last month and an unforgettable campaign will now climax with a chance to shine against Liverpool at the KC Stadium on Sunday.

Cullen admits he has been surprised to see his first-team introduction come so quickly but he is determined to seize his chance.

"I didn't really see my chance coming this year," he added.

"I started the season as a youth team player and just thought that all I could do was try my best in the youth team, score a few goals and get a contract at the end of the season.

"It's happened a lot faster than that and I'm just pleased to see how things have gone.

"I want to play as many games as I can for the club now and get a few goals under my belt to get us back in the Premier League next season."

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/sport/Hull-City-want-Premier-League-says-Cullen/article-2109611-detail/article.html

I went right through school with him, he's a good lad. I remember when he got dropped from Newcastle; the reason being? He was too small and hardworking, not the type of player they were looking for.  :rolleyes:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

nufcblog.com saying Stephen Folan, Haris Vuckic, Samuel Adjei, Brad Inman and Phil Airey have all been promoted to senior squad. Any truth in this? I'd imagine Inman and Vuckic were certain, but the rest?

Folan is a slight surprise, he's impressed since his switch to the back, but I'd say Jeff Henderson (his CB partner) was the better of the pair.

Folan is a slight surprise, he's impressed since his switch to the back, but I'd say Jeff Henderson (his CB partner) was the better of the pair.

What about Adjei? How's he coming on? Heard he struggled to begin with, but has he developed anything this season? We don't hear anything about him here in Sweden. Same goes for Ole Söderberg, but he's been injured right?

What about Adjei? How's he coming on? Heard he struggled to begin with, but has he developed anything this season? We don't hear anything about him here in Sweden. Same goes for Ole Söderberg, but he's been injured right?

Lee Ryder from the Chronicle seems to like Adjei but i've not been too impressed when i've seen him play,  he's still too lightweight for me.  Can't seem him pushing for a first team place next season.

A World Cup call up could do him the world of good, give him a taste of big match atmosphere and experience - even if he hardly plays.

Then again that didn't really work for Walcott.

ronaldo went to the 1994 world cup as a 17/18 year old, not sure if it had any effect, but it didnt seem to hurt.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Aye Soderberg has been injured most of the season (think with a knee injury) so he's hardly featured. He'll have to work hard next season to re-establish himself in the reserves as it looks like Alnwick is going to jump straight in at reserve level.

Adjei has had an ok 2nd half to season, he seemed to come into his own during the Youth Cup, but he's really inconsistent and frustratingly lazy at times. Hardly tracks back. Even worse he doesn't seem to realise he has pace, seemed to pull up when a defender comes at him so he can try and use skill to get past them rather then just blitzing by them.

He's scored some nice goals, but on the flip side of that he's missed sitters.

A World Cup call up could do him the world of good, give him a taste of big match atmosphere and experience - even if he hardly plays.

Then again that didn't really work for Walcott.

ronaldo went to the 1994 world cup as a 17/18 year old, not sure if it had any effect, but it didnt seem to hurt.

Some would argue it burned him out, considering he basically retired when he returned home to Brazil at 30. Plus that strange incident in France in 98.