U23s & Academy

Skirge

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Matthew Grieve Update:

Matthew Grieve, who suffered slight concussion during Saturday's defeat at Edgeley Park against Lincoln City, has unfortunately suffered a Zygomatic Arch fracture (cheekbone) and is due to have an operation this week. The big defender is expected to be out of action for up to 8 weeks.

Matthew Grieve Update:

Matthew Grieve, who suffered slight concussion during Saturday's defeat at Edgeley Park against Lincoln City, has unfortunately suffered a Zygomatic Arch fracture (cheekbone) and is due to have an operation this week. The big defender is expected to be out of action for up to 8 weeks.

Sad to hear. Fantastic player.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Matthew Grieve Update:

Sad to hear. Fantastic player.

I find him baffling. He's tall, and looks like should be strong, but you very rarely see him win a 50/50 header, constantly seems off balance and always injured.

Campbell might be in the squad but can't see him playing unless of an emergency.  We are playing in the youth cup tomorrow at SJP, think a few of that team might fill the bench but won't be playing unless its a last resort.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

City only have 4 subs too. Wonder if that's enforced like us, or if they're being 'kind' due to our situation.  :lol:

If Mitchell is the keeper I'm thinking of he's a really tall lad, with a mop of blond hair. Seen him play twice for the U16s, was decent (despite the result), seemed to have a problem saving low shots (though they are hard to save).

36mins - NEWCASTLE GOAL (1-1): City left-back Ryan McGivern was all over Michael Richardson as the auxillary forward tries to finish from Sammy Ameobi's low left-wing cross, and there are no arguments when a penalty is awarded to the visitors. Ameobi steps up and slots it straight down the middle as Gonzalez goes left and United are level.

Finished 5-1 to City but we had a total patched up team,  3 debuts for youngsters Mitchell, Biele and Campbell,  Newton played centre back, Richardson played up front.  Looking at our line up we only had Dummett, Inman and Mcloughlin who are experienced at reserve level.

Probably a question for ObiChris,  do you know anything about Biele, other than he's Irish! 

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Tallish lad, dark hair, seems well built, played for Cherry Orchards with our other young Irish player Jamie Smith, both are/were Irish U15/u16 Internationals. That's about it.

Out of the two I've only seen Jamie Smith play about 90mins this season. Loads of our youngsters I haven't seen half as much as I'd have liked to due to the weather. Probably say that Ben Sayer and Dan Taylor our two best players so far this season in the u18s.

Tallish lad, dark hair, seems well built, played for Cherry Orchards with our other young Irish player Jamie Smith, both are/were Irish U15/u16 Internationals. That's about it.

Out of the two I've only seen Jamie Smith play about 90mins this season. Loads of our youngsters I haven't seen half as much as I'd have liked to due to the weather. Probably say that Ben Sayer and Dan Taylor our two best players so far this season in the u18s.

one of the reasons i'm looking forward to going to the youth cup game 2moro night is to see what the next "group" coming through are like,  one of the downsides of been shut out of the reserve game this season is that i haven't had the chance to see any of the new group of players coming through.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Yeah, its shocking, as the few times I've seen the U18's, been some good performances, but its so few and far between games at the moment. Alex Nicholson looks like a decent full back in the making, want to see more of him play.