-----------------Alnwick---------------

-----------------------------------------

Nicolson---Story---Streete---Riley

-----------------Sayer-----------------

----------Nzuzi------Knight----------

Spear----------------------Maddison

-------------McGorrigan--------------

Subs: Robinson, Mogwo, Toland, Campbell, Hoganson

Credit where credit is due, Grimsby were a well drilled, physical team, and often proved hard to break down with any real football. They kept their concentration and worked hard to constantly close down every Newcastle player. This may or may not have been the reason that for 90 minutes, whoever had the ball for Newcastle would look to hit it long and over the top of the Grimsby back 4 for the pacey pair of Marcus Maddison and Ryan McGorrigan to run on to. Unsurprisingly this led to a large number of offsides (some correct some a bit harsh) from the young linesmen learning his trade (which sadly some of our supporters forgot and took joy in giving him abuse).

Likewise, it could have just been where I was sitting, our own players weren't immune to the crowd's vocal disdain. Just like home games there were the groans and moans every time the play broke down due to a stray pass. The people behind him totally grilling one or two of our players - no wait - 16 year old boys, for not having 100% pass accuracy. Ironically, they then start to moan when we tried to keep possession and passed the ball backwards... go figure.

Our first goal came from some smart play down the left by Michael Riley. The young left back powered forward with the ball before playing it forward to Marcus Maddison, a smart turn inside (similar to Ronaldo) saw his shot saved, the ball fell  to Ryan McGorrigan who saw his shot blocked by a defender. The rebound fell kindly to Aaron Spear, who took a smart touch around the covering defender and powered it in low into the opposite corner from about 8 yards out.

Marcus Maddison showed some good touches when he was on the ball, and certainly showed he was willing to chase anything pumped forward (likewise McGorrigan). However, if he is to be a winger, he'll have to start to gain that little bit extra effort to help his fullbacks in the future.

Grimsby had a chance to equalise from the spot, when the ref made the correct decision to award them a penalty. A ball over the top of our defence saw the Grimsby striker through on goal, with Story trying to catch up, Alnwick came off the line and closed down the angle, only for Story to push the young Grimsby striker from behind as he shot. The linesman flagged for the push and the penalty was given.

The spot kick wasn't the greatest as it was powered down the middle, however a stricter ref might have ordered it to be taken again as Alnwick was about 2-3 yards off his line when he saved it. However, once again Alnwick proven he's something of a penalty hero (having saved a penalty in last year's Youth Cup too).

Grimsby goal came soon after though, when a corner was cleared by Alnwick (who seemed to be fouled by a Grimsby player), with it landing at the edge of the area. The ball was played straight back in to the far post. Alnwick made a fantastic reaction save to tip it off the head of one Grimsby player, but the ball landed at the feed of a 2nd (with a 3rd waiting) with no Newcastle defenders near by. It was a simple finish. Possibly offside, but I honestly couldn't tell, though it was surprising to see 3 Grimsby players unmarked at the back post like that.

Ryan McGorrigan almost scored from the KO as he dribbled through the middle with some smart ball control, only for the final shot to let him down. Still, it was a great run.

The 2nd half was pretty much more of the same, though Grimsby seemed to be happy to defend. Newcastle tried long balls over the top, and Grimsby tried to counter. 15mins saw two changes from Newcastle as Adam Campbell came on for Aaron Spear (who had fleeting moments but was generally quiet), and Michael Hoganson for Marcus Maddison.

Lets get one thing clear straight away. Adam Campbell is quick off the mark and tenacious. Yes, he's small, but it doesn't matter, he wants to win. However, I think its best to just let him develop and enjoy his football. However...

Within minutes he possibly could have had a penalty, as he raced onto a through ball and took it into the area. The defender appeared to pull him back, but Campbell's determination kept him on his feet and towards goal. The shot was saved. His fresh legs and pace kept the Grimsby defence busy as the game started to close down towards the 90th minute, with Campbell forcing the Grimsby keeper into a good one handed save.

1-1 at full time, it went to extra time, and everyone young player was starting to feel it as cramp set it. You couldn't blame any of them as every player had worked a shift in the bitter cold of SJP. Praise has to go to Grimsby's #10 who kept at it for the full duration of the game, and was their goal scorer.

Just as it looked like it might be heading towards penalties, Newcastle scored. Was it a cross, or was it a lobbed shot? Only Ben Sayer will know that, what matters is that it was the type of ball that you need to putting in.

Newcastle's corner was cleared by the Grimsby defence, however it fell at Sayer's feet. From about 25 yards out, he angled a ball into the back post that looped over the Grimsby keeper and into the back of the net.

In the dying minutes Andy Mogwo came on for Ryan McGorrigan.

A tough game, and I honestly feel for the Grimsby lads as they worked hard, and I think they'll have impressed a few people with how well they worked as a team.

Remi Streete had a decent game, and made a fantastic covering tackle in the area early in the 1st half. He seems to read the game well, and can cover 10 yards very quickly.

Ben Sayer was constantly on the move and always open for a pass, and he tried to keep the ball moving at all times. Not his greatest game, but he put in a good shift.

Got to say i was disappointed with that tonight.  Terrible game and NUFC were poor,  if they play like that in the next round Man U will hammer us.  It was my first look at this group and hopefully they've just had an off night but on first showing they are nowhere near as good as last year's youth cup team.

They do seem to be quicker and have a few more tricks but there passing was sloppy and were let down by poor decision making at times. 

The last 15 mins of the 90 and extra time saw players dropping like flies with cramp,  at one time we had 4 players down at the same time! 

i did think Streete stood out at the back and played well and i was impressed with young Adam Campbell when he came on and looks like he could be a new Michael Owen, looks very very quick,  if he grows a bit then in a couple of years he could be lethal alongside Carroll. 

Sayers winner was excellent, although it may have been a cross. 

Another negative was the attitude of some of the players,  the lost their discipline for a period in the 2nd half and i didn't like Knight and Sayer going over to the penalty spot and kicking it up before they took their pen.  Not sure if Spear was injured but he seemed to just storm straight down the tunnel when subbed which is bang out of order at that age!

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

That's how they've played all season, binnsy. Long ball over the top for the pacey strikers, or a long ball for Dan Taylor to flick on... for the pacey wingers. Shame really, like when you say, last year's youth team were a great passing side. Guess you have to work with what you have. Young Storey was getting dog's abuse from a bunch of old blokes where I was sitting, constantly moaning he was giving the ball away and not passing it first time.

Aaron Spear didn't really get into the game for me, while he was on the right wing. Can remember perhaps one decent pass he made in the first 10 minutes, when he played a ball behind the defence for McGorrigan to run on to. Outside of that and his goal he was pretty quiet, but, like I mentioned, Grimsby were fantastic at constantly closing down our players. If I'm being harsh, I think we lacked that, our midfield looked very passive at times, with very little closing down.

I thought we split the Grimsby defence really well in the first half and was only let down by McGorrigan who doesn't seem to understand the off-side rules, maybe he's got too many female hormones.

I thought we split the Grimsby defence really well in the first half and was only let down by McGorrigan who doesn't seem to understand the off-side rules, maybe he's got too many female hormones.

:lol:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Really enjoy reading stuff like this, thanks a lot Obi!

Ah, thank you :) I should probably take notes though, rather than relying on memory. Grimsby scored in the 2nd half from the spot, not the 1st!

Living in London I managed to get along to the West Ham v Man Utd game and to be honest, neither side were all that impressive. Of course you have to take into account their age and experience, but Man Utd really struggled to create any clear cut chances, and if the WHM goalkeeper hadn't have made a mistake for their goal (or had some absolutely shocking kicks during the game) it could have been much tighter. The so-called 'names' in their youth team were too busy doing pointless tricks to cause any really penetration. Our youth team perhaps isn't as good as it's been in recent years, but in terms of quality I don't think we should be fearful of a hammering in the next round.

I also went to Chelsea v Arsenal, where I'd say the standard was much higher, Josh MaEachran (unsurprisingly) and Milan Lalkovic definitely standing out from the rest.

Ah, thank you :) I should probably take notes though, rather than relying on memory. Grimsby scored in the 2nd half from the spot, not the 1st!

Grimsby didn't score from the spot in either half so the notes might be a good idea.  :lol:

Where is Aiery? or is he now offically the next Carroll?

No idea about Airey,  could be injured could be in the squad for 2moro.  Very difficult to get info on the youngsters.  Vuckic looks to have vanished and nothings been said if he's injured(presume he is) and if he is whats wrong and how long he's out for.

Ah, shame.

Still it seems those in the youth team have been given a huge display that at Newcastle we have to rely on youth, so hard work and determination and they too could earn multi million pound moves to similar clubs!