U23s & Academy

Skirge

Slightly off-topic but for anyone knowledgeable in the subject, whatever happened to Mark Walton?  I remember him being a huge deal 3 or 4 years ago; ripped the net off the posts with a goal in some tourney in Italy iirc.  Looked like he would make the step up and then he literally disappeared. 

http://blythspartansafc.co.uk/new_php/wp-content/marc_walton.jpg

Slightly off-topic but for anyone knowledgeable in the subject, whatever happened to Mark Walton?  I remember him being a huge deal 3 or 4 years ago; ripped the net off the posts with a goal in some tourney in Italy iirc.  Looked like he would make the step up and then he literally disappeared. 

can't find any info on him other than he was still an Academy player during 05/06.  I guess he has given up or has gone non-league.

Guest Geordiekev

Can't find him on a current Blyth Spartans team list, perhaps he has now given it up.

Rumour has it he signed for a top four prem club  :doh:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/GeordieBoB/marc_walton.jpg

how on earth can a Premier League club have scouts that thought he was any good if he ends up playing that low a level before vanishing?

He was lethal up till a certain level is usually how it works.

were we scouting pub teams to find him? was he lethal at that level? I can't believe even Premier league reserve level is as bad as Conference North division.

Guest Heneage

how on earth can a Premier League club have scouts that thought he was any good if he ends up playing that low a level before vanishing?

He was lethal up till a certain level is usually how it works.

were we scouting pub teams to find him? was he lethal at that level? I can't believe even Premier league reserve level is as bad as Conference North division.

I think you've got to remember mate a lot of those players are of the same standard, if that makes sense. It's 22 lads where probably the majority will end up at the same level.

I think he came up through the academy. 

Mind being jogged about this, I remember someone posting a bit about him getting in a fight after a game?  Subsequent posts about it were removed for libel/slander/whatever reason, but that coincided roughly with the time he vanished.  Does anyone know if there was more to it and did the club let him go?  PM if the details aren't postable. 

Sorry for the derail btw, but I just remember him being a huge deal that's disappeared.  No different to dozens of others down the years I'm sure.

Walton scored a boatload of goals at youth level but even struggled with the step up to reserve level and was never going to make it in the first team.  Think it comes down alot to attitude and mental toughness, Walton had a bad attitude and was a few years ago thinking of being a boxer instead of a footballer.

We've had loads of players in the last 10-15 yrs who've scored goals galore for the youth team but never made the grade and he's on that list.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Who's going on Thursday?

I'll be going along with wor fatha.

Any idea how much tickets are yet?

Usually just a couple of quid.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Aye, hope we get a decent turn out. Was going to try and smuggle my camcorder in but thought I'd just look like a tool.

Think i read in Sunday Sun that he's playing for Morpeth. I commented on how he has ended up at such a lowly level.

I fancy the Youth cup game on Thursday.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

ST. James' Park

7PM KO

£3.00

NUFC: (from) Alnwick, Robinson, Tavernier, Dummett, J.Henderson, Folan, Nzuzi, McDermott, Inman, Airey, Newton, Adjei, Ameobi, Spear, L. Henderson, D.Taylor, Page.

Not sure where this should live so will stick in here. From a Charlton fan re Kazenga:

good, quite pacey and good control going down the wings. flew past a few of our defenders in the first half. got a very good reception from the brighton fans when he was substituted about 70 mins in.

Guest The Enforcer

Really want to go tonight, my weekend has just started and I have nothing to do. The last train is at 10, so normally during mid-week games I stay at the uni as I know someone there. He's not about though, so my only option is to leave the game early to get the train, which I'm not prepared to do.

I suppose I could just do an all nighter drinking in celebration of our glorious victory..