Hughton is not a manager!

jimmymag

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/03/25/chris-hughton-insists-that-nufc-players-do-back-him-61634-23222236/

Chris Hughton insists that NUFC players do back him

Mar 25 2009 by Stuart Rayner, The Journal

CHRIS Hughton says Newcastle United’s players are “100% behind him”, despite the latest stories undermining his caretaker managership.

One national newspaper carried a report yesterday from a “dressing room insider” which claimed that the players had asked for Terry Venables to be given the job until the end of the season.

Hughton shrugged off the latest story and reiterated his belief that the Magpies squad are fully behind his attempts to steer them away from relegation.

“To be honest with you, I just dismiss it,” he said of the speculation, the latest in a long line since Joe Kinnear underwent triple heart bypass surgery in February.

“I have got a job to be getting on with, just as everybody else at the club has. In these times you’re going to get differences of opinion, hear stories that you don’t like, get reactions you don’t like.

“If you take notice of what you hear or read then you’re not going to be able to do your job to the best of your ability.

“It doesn’t worry me in the slightest that a player has supposedly said these things. The only thing you can react to is facts. At the moment there is no fact to anything that’s been written or from the sources it’s supposedly coming from.

“All I can react to is reality, and the reality is we are where we are in the table and we get on with that. I am convinced I still have the dressing room behind me 100%.”

Kinnear, who Newcastle turned to as caretaker manager when Venables rebuffed their approach in September, is expected back in the dugout in mid-April.

Assuming all goes to plan, and Kinnear is able to take full charge of the team for the televised April 19 trip to his former club Tottenham Hotspur, there would seem to be little point in the Magpies opting for a third stop-gap manager of a campaign – which even by their standards has been racked by instability.

But question marks over Hughton’s leadership have risen from his unimpressive record as caretaker. In his two stints this season, the only game United have won was at West Brom, hours after Kinnear was admitted to hospital.

Furthering the gloom on Tyneside have been the predictions that United will have to take on European Cup quarter-finalists Chelsea without key defenders Steven Taylor and Sébastien Bassong.

Hughton, though, is optimistic of having at least one against a side set to be missing Nicolas Anelka.

“We are continuing to assess Steven and Sébastien Bassong and we’re hopeful they could be available for Chelsea,” he said.

“What we haven’t done at this moment is rule either of them from making the Chelsea game. We are looking for an

improvement over the next week or so and if we get that, they’ve got a chance but we’re not ruling either of them out 100%.”

Some have ruled Taylor out for two to three weeks with ankle ligament damage. Not Hughton.

“No, that is not the case, with both of these injuries the assessment is going to be over the next few days and we’ll know after that if one or both of them have a chance for the Chelsea game,” he said. The worries over both are somewhat mitigated by Habib Beye’s ahead-of-schedule return from an ankle injury.

The Senegalese defender made his first appearance since Boxing Day at home to Arsenal, and is determined to make his return count.

“It doesn’t matter who we play, we must try to get points from every game to save the club because that is all that’s important,” he told the club’s official website

Guest Phil K

My breakfast had more personaily and ability than Hughton.

That goes for Calderwood and Kinnear too.

The sheer insanity in ignoring the patently obvious that they're not up to it, and in fact make a poor team worse is heartbreakingly and vomit-inducingly frustrating.

Got to feel for Hughton, he is an experienced international ex pro. doing his best, hamstrung by working with a weakened squad through crap transfer activity, nothing but negative vibes abound from so called "insiders", press and media with total shite about El Tel etc.

Personally I think the players will be working with him as well as anyone under the circumstances

Give him a break, its too late to send for a red adair type now.

It's too late to do anything about the management team now, we're stuck with them whatever we think.

This fucking attitude pisses me off tbh, appeasors and appologists like you, people who try to talk as if they are the voice of reason, but really have no fucking clue. Some of the crap you post, is mind boggingly niave.

It's not too late to take a chance, there's 8 games left, bring a new guy in, get a honeymoon period of 2 or 3 wins, ala BSA at blackburn, Sbriga at the dirty mackems and many, many more examples, even Souness here !! And you're well on your way to getting out of this mess. The crime here is not to act and to sleepwalk into relegation, we are going down without a bloody fight atm.

It's too late to do anything about the management team now, we're stuck with them whatever we think.

This fucking attitude pisses me off tbh, appeasors and appologists like you, people who try to talk as if they are the voice of reason, but really have no fucking clue. Some of the crap you post, is mind boggingly niave.

It's not too late to take a chance, there's 8 games left, bring a new guy in, get a honeymoon period of 2 or 3 wins, ala BSA at blackburn, Sbriga at the dirty mackems and many, many more examples, even Souness here !! And you're well on your way to getting out of this mess. The crime here is not to act and to sleepwalk into relegation, we are going down without a bloody fight atm.

agree with afar completely

although i see where ian w is coming from...it won't happen, simple as

Whoah there cowboy! :frantic:

The situation is basically this:

1) Kinnear will be back soon. I know he's shit but in the club's view he is the manager.

2) They don't want to get rid of Kinnear, even though they should. BTW, I've said they should use this an excuse to out him before, so to call me naive is stupid.

Those two things together mean that the club believe that they only have to cope for a couple of games more until Kinnear returns. You and I know things probably won't get any better when he's back - but I'm dealing with the reality of the situation as the club see it.

If that's 'crap' or 'mind boggingly naive' (whatever mindbogging is!), then fair enough... I plead guilty.

Whoah there cowboy! :frantic:

The situation is basically this:

1) Kinnear will be back soon. I know he's shit but in the club's view he is the manager.

2) They don't want to get rid of Kinnear, even though they should. BTW, I've said they should use this an excuse to out him before, so to call me naive is stupid.

Those two things together mean that the club believe that they only have to cope for a couple of games more until Kinnear returns. You and I know things probably won't get any better when he's back - but I'm dealing with the reality of the situation as the club see it.

If that's 'crap' or 'mind boggingly naive' (whatever mindbogging is!), then fair enough... I plead guilty.

think this sentence reads badly, i know what you mean...nothing WILL happen but to say it's too late at this stage ain't right dude

I think everybody got it. The last thing we need however is fans defending the indefensible as far as this situation is concerned. It's not because we all know that those in charge won't change their views that we shouldn't be having a discussion about it, quite the opposite in fact. Last December I said I was willing to give Ashley a fair chance to turn this club around, but would still be critical if I perceived his decisions to be wrong. I believe this particular decision is as wrong as wrong can be and could prove very, very costly for this club, so I am not about to shut up about it because the people in charge won't listen to sense when it smacks them in the face.. Personally I think it should be very clear that the vast majority of fans disapprove of the decision making regarding our management position, and this defeatist attitude that it's too late to change things now is not the signal we should be sending out. It's not too late! Quite the opposite in fact: to not act now means leaving our destiny in incapable hands and spells almost certain disaster. It will only be too late when we are officially down, and Ashley shouldn't be allowed the excuse of a lack of time in the event it would happen.

What if Kinnear isn't allowed to come back this season by his doctors???

Does anyone think that Ashley has a contingency plan if this happens, or is he going to allow Hughton to "manage" us straight into the fizzy pop league???

I know it what everyone means, I wasn't defending anything by the way - I've said before that I would have got in an interim manager already if I could find one.

All I was saying was that I don't believe it will happen... the regime have faith in Kinnear for some reason.

What if Kinnear isn't allowed to come back this season by his doctors???

Does anyone think that Ashley has a contingency plan if this happens, or is he going to allow Hughton to "manage" us straight into the fizzy pop league???

My thoughts exactly. I would say that even if Kinnear does come back for the Spurs or Stoke game the chances have to be very high that after his first game his Doctor/wife will tell him no, its too soon.

At that point it really will be too late.

There were reports today that some players were calling for a "manager" to be brought in, if true then we've got no chance with Hughton in charge and Ashley must take decisive action NOW!

It might already be too late. Ashley has done sod all because ambition is not automatic and that's what has been lacking since Ashley arrived, we would not be in this position had Ashley shown even the smallest amount of ambition to bring success on the pitch. There are no guarantees but it's shite when the club is run by people who don't even try.

You and others were told. Repeatedly. And you thought I (and others) were talking rubbish.

There were reports today that some players were calling for a "manager" to be brought in, if true then we've got no chance with Hughton in charge and Ashley must take decisive action NOW!

You and others were told. Repeatedly. And you thought I (and others) were talking rubbish.

Ashley has ambition I reckon, he's just going the ultra-cheap route (i.e. waiting for youngsters to come through), which is probably wise given then economic climate and our balance books.

Although he still needs to invest more in the first team, even Arsenal, whose 'model' we are supposedly copying spent quite a bit at first to build the first team.  Otherwise if the first team is **** the youngsters will just move on.

Guest Phil K

It might already be too late. Ashley has done sod all because ambition is not automatic and that's what has been lacking since Ashley arrived, we would not be in this position had Ashley shown even the smallest amount of ambition to bring success on the pitch. There are no guarantees but it's s**** when the club is run by people who don't even try.

I got sick and tired of dealing with ranting and abuse directed at me by certain pillocks (most regular posters) who are now saying EXACTLY what I was saying in the first place - and they're denying either that they ever did, or trying to say I said differently.

Some can see whats going to happen, (because its so ****** obvious) some can't see beyond the end of their nose

Join the "disgusted at gullibility and self-deceipt of fellow fans" troupe.

It might already be too late. Ashley has done sod all because ambition is not automatic and that's what has been lacking since Ashley arrived, we would not be in this position had Ashley shown even the smallest amount of ambition to bring success on the pitch. There are no guarantees but it's s**** when the club is run by people who don't even try.

I got sick and tired of dealing with ranting and abuse directed at me by certain pillocks (most regular posters) who are now saying EXACTLY what I was saying in the first place - and they're denying either that they ever did, or trying to say I said differently.

Some can see whats going to happen, (because its so ****** obvious) some can't see beyond the end of their nose

Yeah, I got fed up of it as well. Some don't learn, some live in denial. I'm not sure which are worse.

Yeah, I got fed up of it as well. Some don't learn, some live in denial. I'm not sure which are worse.

The ones who only turn up when the situation deteriorates allowing them to say I told you so?

The ones who only turn up when the situation deteriorates allowing them to say I told you so?

Not at all sunshine. You see, I knew all along I was right and that you and your type were full of shit. I've never been interested in any "I told you so" stuff.

I'm more interested in whether whinging idiots like you have learned anything from what's been going on since ashley took over.  I doubt you have.

Not at all sunshine. You see, I knew all along I was right and that you and your type were full of shit. I've never been interested in any "I told you so" stuff.

I'm more interested in whether whinging idiots like you have learned anything from what's been going on since ashley took over.  I doubt you have.

I've learned that I'd rather have had a different billionaire take over, one with a few more billions and more football knowledge. Maybe we'll get one on the next bus from Killingworth.

What the fuck are you talking about. If I remember rightly, Ian W was one of the few posters to keep his head and post some sense during the Keegan leaving debacle. He's right, it IS too late to appoint someone now, purely because no-one else would take the job just for 8 games, especially as they can't "win" a contract by keeping us up - because we've offered one to Kinnear already.

This f***ing attitude pisses me off tbh, appeasors and appologists like you, people who try to talk as if they are the voice of reason, but really have no f***ing clue. Some of the crap you post, is mind boggingly niave.

What the f*** are you talking about. If I remember rightly, Ian W was one of the few posters to keep his head and post some sense during the Keegan leaving debacle. He's right, it IS too late to appoint someone now, purely because no-one else would take the job just for 8 games, especially as they can't "win" a contract by keeping us up - because we've offered one to Kinnear already.

You do know that a contract offered can be withdrawn at any time until it is agreed to (and signed by both parties), don't you?