Newcastle 1 - 2 Manchester United - 04/03/09 - post match reaction from page 18

Dave

What exactly makes people think Owen will come in and start scoring goals? Say he plays the last 10 games, he might just nick 3 goals, does that justify him being in the team ahead of Lovenkrands, who'll at least give us geniune commitment, pace and workrate

does it f***

Those 3 goals might win us a game. 

Guest Heneage

Why is this idiot talking about Viduka and Owen saving us.

Two of the two biggest bottlers at the club.

f*** em both.

If Owen is fit, he will be a major help to us. Can score goals, and that's something we could always use.

I hate him.

If we are relying on Owen to keep us up then we will definitely be relegated.

He's our top scorer at the moment and before tonight had scored about 1/3 of our league goals.

I for one will be glad when he's back to be honest.

He's also a want away who couldn't care less about what happens to this club as he'll be happily off in the summer.

Started to be a complete passenger for a while before his injury. Obviously no longer gives a s***.

I wouldn't drop Lovenkrands or Martins for him.

Owen guarantees goals man. It's a shame there isn't a feasable way to incorperate the four of Jonas/Lovenkrands/Owen/Martins... we'd have a lot of pace to work with then.

he certainly guarentees 1 goal in 8, if his record before injury is owt to go by

And yet he's still our top scorer and has been for ages.

hardly difficult when:

a)he's our penalty taker

b) we have one other premiership striker in the squad, who's been out for 3 months

Like i said the other night ,If owen was fit we would have taken Bolton apart

That's ridiculous by the way. Owen is good, but no striker would have done well vs. Bolton. We didn't have one moment of coherent attacking play throughout the entire match. We would have barely seen Owen if he played vs. Bolton.

Owen wouldn't have torn them apart but he would've finished Martins' chances.

:doh:

You honestly don't think Owen would've finished Martins' header? Which was basically a sitter.

Owen is probably the best header-er of the ball we have (see how many headed goals he scores) and the reason he hardly scored before his injury is because we hardly created any chances, when he gets chances more often than not he scores, hence his better goal scoring record.

I'd ******* hate it if some of the people on here picked the team.  ;D

Owen was missing sitters like it was going out of fashion in the winter

Wigan springs to mind.

Guest Howaythetoon

I agree Smith was better than he has been....it seems to me people slag him off for past s*** games...ie some might as well post Smith was s*** in the pre match thread

I thought he was shocking, he lost a tackle just outside our own box in the kind of manner that Ameobi stumbles over the ball. They could have scored from a simple loss of possession from Smith late in the second half too, the ball was rolled to him from our right flank and he just miscontrolled it. He didn't do anything decent and all he did do was run around and laughingly pointing to others to do this or do that or move there or here. And I say that as someone who thought when we signed him, he could have turned out to be a decent player for us. The playing of the ball in the centre came from Geremi and Ryan Taylor and not Smith. If Barton or Guthrie had of played instead of Smith, we might have actually caused them even more problems. At first I didn't even know he was on because he's died his hair, that's how anonymous he was.

What exactly makes people think Owen will come in and start scoring goals? Say he plays the last 10 games, he might just nick 3 goals, does that justify him being in the team ahead of Lovenkrands, who'll at least give us geniune commitment, pace and workrate

does it f***

Wahoo, commitment over ability. Always works that.

Commitment as opposed to no comitment whatsoever generally does work. And Owen's hardly bursting with ability is he

does it f***

Commitment as opposed to no comitment whatsoever generally does work. And Owen's hardly bursting with ability is he

I beg to differ.

You're exaggerating things massively out of proportion man. You can question his commitment, sure - and i have done in the past. But he's our top scorer, so it can't be that bad. Certainly not "no commitment whatsoever". You can question his ability too, but he's got a 1 in 2 record in the Premier League for us, so again, it can't be that bad.

If he's fit, he needs to be in the team imo. If he's sharp and on a run of form he's absolutely vital if we stay up. I like Lovenkrands, he works hard and offers an outlet of pace as others have said, but having an instinctive goal-poacher in your side wins you football matches. I'd be tempted to put him on the left and Jonas on the right simple to accommodate a pacy quartet upfront... but then Jonas is far better on the left hand side. It'd be harsh dropping the lad, but one way or another, Owen's the captain and he's going to be in the side. Rightfully, imo.

Have to disagree with HTT. Thought it was the best atmosphere this season, although Sunlun might have been better. Manchester fans by far the best this season, although the standard has been awful.

From my seat the team seemed to have no shape, and in the second half it seemed most of the team were reluctant to join in with any attack, which resulted in a lack support. Movement seemed really poor in the final 3rd as well, too much standing around. Overall though it was encouraging, although it makes you wonder why on earth they decide to turn up for the hard games but bottle others...

Owen needs a couple of games to be 'fit' why does he have to start. IMO don't start him for a couple of games if we're doing well then bring him on as a sub around 60 mins. He'll most likely be trying harder to put himself in the shop window so there will be double motivation for him, and hopefully for us, more goals.

does it f***

I beg to differ.

You're exaggerating things massively out of proportion man. You can question his commitment, sure - and i have done in the past. But he's our top scorer, so it can't be that bad. Certainly not "no commitment whatsoever". You can question his ability too, but he's got a 1 in 2 record in the Premier League for us, so again, it can't be that bad.

If he's fit, he needs to be in the team imo. If he's sharp and on a run of form he's absolutely vital if we stay up. I like Lovenkrands, he works hard and offers an outlet of pace as others have said, but having an instinctive goal-poacher in your side wins you football matches. I'd be tempted to put him on the left and Jonas on the right simple to accommodate a pacy quartet upfront... but then Jonas is far better on the left hand side. It'd be harsh dropping the lad, but one way or another, Owen's the captain and he's going to be in the side. Rightfully, imo.

1 in 2 record in the premier league? It's closer to 1 in 3 isn't it? correct me if i'm wrong

Owen wont make an impact after coming back from injury, as HTT says it'll take him 5 games just to catch up to the pace

Owen gets in the right positions, he misses chances others wouldnt even get in the first place based on their movement. Last few games before the injury he was nothing special but neither was the team. Owen, lovenkrands & Martins upfront seems good to me, with owen dropping behind like he did under keegan.

Guest Howaythetoon

Have to disagree with HTT. Thought it was the best atmosphere this season, although Sunlun might have been better. Manchester fans by far the best this season, although the standard has been awful.

From my seat the team seemed to have no shape, and in the second half it seemed most of the team were reluctant to join in with any attack, which resulted in a lack support. Movement seemed really poor in the final 3rd as well, too much standing around. Overall though it was encouraging, although it makes you wonder why on earth they decide to turn up for the hard games but bottle others...

The atmopshere at the start right up to and just past 1-1 was excellent, better than the mackem one I'd say, mind the team did start off really well and we of course scored early. As soon as they went 2-1 up though it was as if we had no belief we could win and just accepted defeat which is when their fans started to make a noise and sing through their song book, at times without any response from us.

Your other comments about the shape, I saw the same things mate so have to agree.

does it f***

I beg to differ.

1 in 2 record in the premier league? It's closer to 1 in 3 isn't it

Exactly 1 in 2.

26 goals in 52 appearances (plus a few subs i think) according to nufc.com. When you consider his runs of games in the team, his only ruts have come towards the back end of Allardyce's reign/first half of Keegan's, and just before he got injured this season. When we first signed him, he got like 7 in 10. Back end of last season and start of this, think it came to something like 17 in 19. His scoring exploits have always been consistent, if a bit frustrating given the chances he's missed at times.

I agree Smith was better than he has been....it seems to me people slag him off for past s*** games...ie some might as well post Smith was s*** in the pre match thread

I thought he was shocking, he lost a tackle just outside our own box in the kind of manner that Ameobi stumbles over the ball. They could have scored from a simple loss of possession from Smith late in the second half too, the ball was rolled to him from our right flank and he just miscontrolled it. He didn't do anything decent and all he did do was run around and laughingly pointing to others to do this or do that or move there or here. And I say that as someone who thought when we signed him, he could have turned out to be a decent player for us. The playing of the ball in the centre came from Geremi and Ryan Taylor and not Smith. If Barton or Guthrie had of played instead of Smith, we might have actually caused them even more problems. At first I didn't even know he was on because he's died his hair, that's how anonymous he was.

Barton and Guthrie would have been better maybe, but then I think Beye would have been better at right back than Taylor. Is this opinion releveant?

wiki has his apperance at 62, ah who cares, you take penalties away and he's got 20 for us in the league anyway.

We cant be relying on Michael Owen man, he's finished as a top player and the last footballer in the world you want in your team if you're scrapping for results

Shearer only scored about 160 goals for us n'all cos penalties don't count. Think you're talking absolute shite btw.

The last thing you want in your side, when you're in a relegation battle, is a natural born goalscorer?

if owen is fit and firing. then why not owen and martins combo like we had against portsmouth before martins fudged his groin. that was the last time we had a solid win. can anyone remember the midfield we had for that? guthrie and butt wasnt it? i hope guthrie is back soon and were really missing beye aswell

8 goals in 19 league games, you'd think that was as good as it gets for a striker in a bottom 5 side.

For comparison:

Santa Cruz 4 in 19

Crouch 8 in 27

Alves 4 in 24

Jones 7 in 18

Cisse 9 in 25

Fuller 6 in 23

Pavluchenko 3 in 21

Bent 9 in 24

Defoe 6 in 22

(statstaken from skysports.)

Yet some people talk about Owen as if he was on par with Ameobi.

Shearer only scored about 160 goals for us n'all cos penalties don't count. Think you're talking absolute s**** btw.

The last thing you want in your side, when you're in a relegation battle, is a natural born goalscorer?

he relies on the players around him, always will. Owen might do ok for Man City but at nufc where the creativity is limited at best he'll probably continue his 1 in 8 form.

What do people see in Owen? He's a cunt who couldn't care less about nufc, his sheer presence as captain will most likely bring team morale down, and he certainly demostrates no leadership capabilties. His game is all about goals and nothing more and right now I don't trust him to score them. Lovenkrands at least will work hard and scare teams with his pace.

Anyone can score penalties, if Shola scored 8 goals all season all from the spot you wouldn't say he has a 1 in 4 record now would you?

8 goals in 19 league games, you'd think that was as good as it gets for a striker in a bottom 5 side.

For comparison:

Santa Cruz 4 in 19

Crouch 8 in 27

Alves 4 in 24

Jones 7 in 18

Cisse 9 in 25

Fuller 6 in 23

Pavluchenko 3 in 21

Bent 9 in 24

Defoe 6 in 22

(statstaken from skysports.)

Yet some people talk about Owen as if he was on par with Ameobi.

those strikes with the exception of 1 or 2 have a lot more to their game than goals though. All i'm saying is that he shouldn't automatically get his shirt back

Shearer only scored about 160 goals for us n'all cos penalties don't count. Think you're talking absolute s**** btw.

he relies on the players around him, always will. Owen might do ok for Man City but at nufc where the creativity is limited at best he'll probably continue his 1 in 8 form.

What do people see in Owen? He's a cunt who couldn't care less about nufc, his sheer presence as captain will most likely bring team morale down, and he certainly demostrates no leadership capabilties. His game is all about goals and nothing more and right now I don't trust him to score them. Lovenkrands at least will work hard and scare teams with his pace.

Anyone can score penalties, if Shola scored 8 goals all season all from the spot you wouldn't say he has a 1 in 4 record now would you?

How many penalties has Owen scored from this season? I can't remember any