Southport 2 - 3 Gateshead !!

kane2005

Never understood why with all the facilities available they have not made more of it over past few years.

surely it would be great for us and them to loan young players etc, and play friendlies there, maybe even reserve games at their place?

We did play reserve games there for a while.

It is a horrible place to watch football, the sooner Gateshead move to a new ground the better.

Aren't there plans to move away from the Stadium for a purpose-built football ground?

I think they've been trying to find a new home for some time, not sure what the latest situation is though.

Gateshead's intention to move to a new stadium took a step forward in December 2008. Chairman Graham Wood was interviewed in a local newspaper outlining the club were very close to purchasing the land to build a new stadium on. A fee has been agreed and when the contract has been signed, planning and funding will get under way with a target completion date of the 2011-2012 season.[2]

Whilst the location of the new stadium hasn't been revealed by the club, other details have. The stadium will be up to Football League standards, with an approximate 6,000 capacity. This will be made up of a 2,200 all seated main stand, with the remaining three sides being roofed terraces. The plans for the stadium are said to resemble Burton Albion's Pirelli Stadium.

They sound pretty ambitious. Wonder where abouts in Gateshead the plan is for.

Never understood why with all the facilities available they have not made more of it over past few years.

surely it would be great for us and them to loan young players etc, and play friendlies there, maybe even reserve games at their place?

We play them every pre season, used to play our reserve games there and although we haven't got any players on loan there the likes of Kris Gate, Craig Baxter and Phil Cave were all in our academy/reserve team 12-18 months ago.

Guest toonlass

We do?

We haven't for the last couple of seasons. Should do though.

Yeah we do, played them on July 21st 2008, only 497 people turned up though.

Aye I deleted it cos I remembered we had. Having a brain dead moment again.

Would our players get much benefit going on loan to Gateshead?

Some of the younger ones might benefit doing two or three months in a more physical, different environment. They also need to be involved in a 'first-team' squad.

How young though? I don't think they should be sent out too early and at 17/18 they should be able to do a job at a higher level.

Not so much age, but perhaps during their second season - so their first season they spend it in the U18's/stiffs, and then second season they spend 3-6months at a lower league club to gain a bit of proper experience, or to 'toughen up' as such.

Would our players get much benefit going on loan to Gateshead?

As our reserve/U18 team beat most of the local non-league teams with ease it would be pointless for them lads. BUT I do think the 1st year scholars could do with playing a few games against adults as they leave school & then play other PL teams made of school leavers. Of course these clubs would want coin or a pre-season game or something in return because they are clubs in there own right in the Football pyramid system.

Not so much age, but perhaps during their second season - so their first season they spend it in the U18's/stiffs, and then second season they spend 3-6months at a lower league club to gain a bit of proper experience, or to 'toughen up' as such.

The 1st year is with the "youth team" that is no longer discussed or results posted as the FA want players to develop & not to focus on WINNING!!!

I go to Gateshead matches quite often. They have an excellent goalscorer in Lee Novak (got another two at Southport yesterday) who maybe NUFC should have looked at.  Too late for now, as Lee Clark and Terry Mac watched him loads of times and have now signed him for Huddersfield.

He will finish the season here on loan though, which should (hopefully) be enough to get us promoted.

Gateshead's intention to move to a new stadium took a step forward in December 2008. Chairman Graham Wood was interviewed in a local newspaper outlining the club were very close to purchasing the land to build a new stadium on. A fee has been agreed and when the contract has been signed, planning and funding will get under way with a target completion date of the 2011-2012 season.[2]

Whilst the location of the new stadium hasn't been revealed by the club, other details have. The stadium will be up to Football League standards, with an approximate 6,000 capacity. This will be made up of a 2,200 all seated main stand, with the remaining three sides being roofed terraces. The plans for the stadium are said to resemble Burton Albion's Pirelli Stadium.

They sound pretty ambitious. Wonder where abouts in Gateshead the plan is for.

:thup:

I heard they were planning to move to a new ground on the old North Durham rugby club site next to the Ghead Civic Centre.

Any truth?

Correct. I was told this months ago, not really sure about it now.

Guest Stephen927

Should send a couple of them to Gateshead, bring them back down to earth a bit and see how good they've got it.