Southport 2 - 3 Gateshead !!

kane2005

Washington is a town within the metropolitan borough of the City of Sunderland in Tyne and Wear, England, although it has been in the Newcastle Upon Tyne postcode district since the 19th Century. Historically part of County Durham, it joined a new county in 1974 with the creation of Tyne and Wear. Washington is located geographically at an equal distance from the centres of Newcastle, Durham and Sunderland, hence it has close ties to all three cities.

Washington was designated a new town in 1964 and expanded dramatically by the creation of new villages and the absorption of areas of Chester-le-Street to house overspill population from surrounding cities.

At the 2001 census, the town had a population of 60,000.

off wiki

Yeah, good old Wiki, sums it up perfectly!

Washington is classed as Sunderland. Their address is Sunderland

Completely wrong. 

The word "Sunderland" does not appear in any Washington address.

Read my earlier posts about how the two towns of Sunderland and Washington came to be 'lumped together' for Local Authority purposes in 1974.

the word sunderland derives from "sun","under","land"..........HELL in other words

Washington is Tyne & Wear. Surely the fact that it is both TYNE and WEAR suggests it is both?

Gateshead is "Tyne & Wear", but that's most definitely on the Tyne.

Worst comparison ever

Washington is Tyne & Wear. Surely the fact that it is both TYNE and WEAR suggests it is both?

Worst comparison ever

I'm just saying the fact Washington appears as "Tyne & Wear" doesn't necessarily mean it's both Tyne and Wear, because like I said, Gateshead also appears as Tyne & Wear but is certainly on the Tyne.

Worst comparison ever

I'm just saying the fact Washington appears as "Tyne & Wear" doesn't necessarily mean it's both Tyne and Wear, because like I said, Gateshead also appears as Tyne & Wear but is certainly on the Tyne.

Interestingly . . "Tyne & Wear" when used in an address, is ONE place, not two. So, being in 'both' is not a relevant thing to say.  Tyne & Wear refers to Tyne & Wear County , which is one place.

It was going to be called 'Greater Newcastle' - as the new Metropolitan County was in Manchester (Greater Manchester) and London (Greater London) but we ended up being called the hideous T & W instead! A mistake on so many levels.

Worst comparison ever

Interestingly . . "Tyne & Wear" when used in an address, is ONE place, not two. So, being in 'both' is not a relevant thing to say.  Tyne & Wear refers to Tyne & Wear County , which is one place.

It was going to be called 'Greater Newcastle' - as the new Metropolitan County was in Manchester (Greater Manchester) and London (Greater London) but we ended up being called the hideous T & W instead! A mistake on so many levels.

How that would have boiled the piss of our Mackem friends, The postal address of Sunderland, Greater Newcastle. Maybe they could have changed the name of their club to Newcastle City too like their inferior counterparts in Manchester!!

The majority of my mates are from Washington, and I know for their student loans, they have to sort it through sunderland town council (and so are all their other council-related things, such as bins etc etc), whereas me being from Chester-le-Street, I do mine through Durham City Council.  So technically, Washington is sunderland in that respect, but their postcode (and I think its the same for all of Washington, is NE..), whereas hick town postcodes are SR.

As for the whole "wheres Newcastle, wheres sunderland" debate, I know plenty of Mags from Washington, despite mackems claiming that its their territory.  Also, on the SMB before the derby in October, there was a mackem bizarrely claiming Blaydon is mackem territory  :idiot2:

Furthermore I've been told I live in mackem territory loads of times (Duff11's probably had the same), despite going through school (primary especially) with far more Newcastle fans.

Anyhow, I lived in Birtley until I was 4, which is Gateshead, and although the father was born in Durham, he lived in Chapel House/Walbottle from the age of 3, so I'm definitely no mackem!

.....the mother is a cockney east end girl though!

birtley's got a durham postcode, yet it's part of the gateshead borough, crazy councilness.

that said, i think whickham has newcastle in it's postal address even though it's on the south side of the river.

bloody geography

Yeah, we had a DH postcode when I was there, and still do.

I have to admit, the sign telling me I was entering the borough of Gateshead was the first I'd heard that Saltwell Park was named 'Britain's Best Park'  :thup:

Last Gateshead match I went to all the fans were singing

We're s*** and we know we are

Must of been 3/4 years ago im guessing ?

Someone said Gatesheads gates are piss poor , but considering Gateshead are a million miles away in football terms to Newcastle , alot of people chose Newcastle over Gateshead , they have been good gates this season may I add btw.

I just wonder , if Gateshead were a premiership team and Newcastle were a Conference North team , would people from Newcastle come to support Gateshead?

birtley's got a durham postcode, yet it's part of the gateshead borough, crazy councilness.

that said, i think whickham has newcastle in it's postal address even though it's on the south side of the river.

bloody geography

Postcodes are just a way of the post service organising everything, they don't really mean anything. I live in london but have a kent postcode.

bloody geography

Postcodes are just a way of the post service organising everything, they don't really mean anything. I live in london but have a kent postcode.

is that how you pronounce it ?

bloody geography

is that how you pronounce it ?

straight over my head maddy...