Cracking interview with Steven Taylor

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest fading star

should stay at RB iyam.

looks clumsy as f*** at centre half.

Aye but with Beye being a much better footballer than him he can sit back on the bench as far as I'm concerned.

ah no doubt, i meant become a rb for the rest of his career.

he'll start at RB against arsenal imo though.

He's doing alright there because he knows how to get forward (I'd see him up front ahead of Ameobi tbh). If Arshavin turns it on again though, he'll tear him a new arsehole cos the lad can't defend.

Surely then we should play our best defender against the Russian. Bassong would put Arshavin in his pocket, would he not?

should stay at RB iyam.

Aye but with Beye being a much better footballer than him he can sit back on the bench as far as I'm concerned.

He's doing alright there because he knows how to get forward (I'd see him up front ahead of Ameobi tbh). If Arshavin turns it on again though, he'll tear him a new arsehole cos the lad can't defend.

Surely then we should play our best defender against the Russian. Bassong would put Arshavin in his pocket, would he not?

Aye, Fergie is always moving Rio and Vidic to full back against tricky wingers.

Guest fading star

I'm completely undecided as to whether Taylor is a complete tit, or a refreshingly honest and down-to-earth bloke.

Or somewhere in between?

Taylor made his full league debut in 2005 at the tender age of 19. Since when he’s had the opportunity to learn his trade by partnering Boumsong, Bramble, Moore, Onyewu, Rozenthal and Cacapa. He’s also been regularly played out of position, and under at least five managers with differing approaches to the game. It’s no surprise his decision making hasn‘t improved.

Taylor has all the attributes of a top centre half, except composure.  He tries too hard, unlike Bassong who just concentrates on the basics and looks all the better for it. Unfortunately for Taylor the senior pros at the club don’t show any real leadership, and he feels compelled to step into the breach. Probably because he actually cares about what happens to NUFC.

Taylor has suffered because far too much has been asked of him. Bassong was utter garbage at left back, which is why he hasn’t been asked to play their again. Taylor on the other hand makes a decent stab at playing out of position so gets asked to sacrifice his own development for the good of the team time and time again. 

Taylor gets a lot of unwarranted flack. He’s a good player with the right attitude, who‘d blossom at a stable club.  If NUFC is to a future we need hang on to players like Steven Taylor.

Without wishing to sound harsh, that's a load of rubbish.

No it's not.

What are "all the attributes" that Taylor has to be a top centre half?

Bassong being "utter garbage" at left back is a laugh as well. Him not playing there since probably has more to do with the fact that he's the best centre half at the club by a country mile and the best left back being fit.

His passing was certainly laughable, and left backs need to be able to pass the ball. Whereas a centre half can get away with being a bit crap.

Bassong has played very well this season. He sticks to what he’s good at and let’s the rest of the team worry about the more complicated stuff. If he'd had been asked to fulfil the role Taylor plays in the team he’d probably have struggled badly.

That makes no sense whatsoever. What role are you talking about, centre half?

What are these attributes of Taylor's?

Everything apart form real pace and the aforementioned composure.

The role I’m talking about is one of leadership. The man who has to remind the slackers that winning matters. The man who has to show the quitters that there’s still hope. Taylor’s not up to the job atm, but nobody else is doing it. If he just focused on doing the bare minimum, like Bassong does, he’d be become a far better defender. 

What on Earth are you talking about, "the bare minimum"? He does his job, centre half and he does it well. Let's not pretend that Taylor's shabby defending over 100+ appearances is due to him being too busy doing the fist pumping and the shirt throwing to actually defend.

The fact that you think Taylor has nearly everything is bizarre.

Who was it who scored the goal that earned us a point today? That’s right it was Steven Taylor. During open play he took the decision to break forward and get in the box. Faced with the same choice Bassong would have elected to hang back and let somebody else worry about getting something out of the game. Taylor tries to influence events, Bassong merely reacts to them. This isn’t a criticism of Bassong. He knows his limits, Taylor doesn’t. Taylor sees himself as the team’s heart, but he’s not ready for the role and it affects his decision making.

Guest fading star

should stay at RB iyam.

Aye, almost as often as you move the goalposts.

If Arshavin is going to make mincemeat of Taylor we’ll lose by a hatful. So why not get one of our best defenders to mark the Russian out of the game and let Taylor worry about Bartender? Why give our worst defender the hardest task?

should stay at RB iyam.

If Arshavin is going to make mincemeat of Taylor we’ll lose by a hatful. So why not get one of our best defenders to mark the Russian out of the game and let Taylor worry about Bartender? Why give our worst defender the hardest task?

He's not our worst defender. He's shit though.

And I don't think we should be moving our best (left footed) centre half to right back, no. I think that's a stupid idea.

I'm completely undecided as to whether Taylor is a complete tit, or a refreshingly honest and down-to-earth bloke.

Or somewhere in between?

Taylor made his full league debut in 2005 at the tender age of 19. Since when he’s had the opportunity to learn his trade by partnering Boumsong, Bramble, Moore, Onyewu, Rozenthal and Cacapa. He’s also been regularly played out of position, and under at least five managers with differing approaches to the game. It’s no surprise his decision making hasn‘t improved.

Taylor has all the attributes of a top centre half, except composure.  He tries too hard, unlike Bassong who just concentrates on the basics and looks all the better for it. Unfortunately for Taylor the senior pros at the club don’t show any real leadership, and he feels compelled to step into the breach. Probably because he actually cares about what happens to NUFC.

Taylor has suffered because far too much has been asked of him. Bassong was utter garbage at left back, which is why he hasn’t been asked to play their again. Taylor on the other hand makes a decent stab at playing out of position so gets asked to sacrifice his own development for the good of the team time and time again. 

Taylor gets a lot of unwarranted flack. He’s a good player with the right attitude, who‘d blossom at a stable club.  If NUFC is to a future we need hang on to players like Steven Taylor.

No it's not.

Bassong being "utter garbage" at left back is a laugh as well. Him not playing there since probably has more to do with the fact that he's the best centre half at the club by a country mile and the best left back being fit.

His passing was certainly laughable, and left backs need to be able to pass the ball. Whereas a centre half can get away with being a bit crap.

Bassong has played very well this season. He sticks to what he’s good at and let’s the rest of the team worry about the more complicated stuff. If he'd had been asked to fulfil the role Taylor plays in the team he’d probably have struggled badly.

The role I’m talking about is one of leadership. The man who has to remind the slackers that winning matters. The man who has to show the quitters that there’s still hope. Taylor’s not up to the job atm, but nobody else is doing it. If he just focused on doing the bare minimum, like Bassong does, he’d be become a far better defender. 

What on Earth are you talking about, "the bare minimum"? He does his job, centre half and he does it well. Let's not pretend that Taylor's shabby defending over 100+ appearances is due to him being too busy doing the fist pumping and the shirt throwing to actually defend.

Who was it who scored the goal that earned us a point today? That’s right it was Steven Taylor. During open play he took the decision to break forward and get in the box. Faced with the same choice Bassong would have elected to hang back and let somebody else worry about getting something out of the game. Taylor tries to influence events, Bassong merely reacts to them. This isn’t a criticism of Bassong. He knows his limits, Taylor doesn’t. Taylor sees himself as the team’s heart, but he’s not ready for the role and it affects his decision making.

So what's his excuse when he's not trying to be centre forward? If you've got a defender who's too busy trying to be the hero up front than do his job then he's a liability, pure and simple.

Guest fading star

should stay at RB iyam.

He's not our worst defender. He's s*** though.

And I don't think we should be moving our best (left footed) centre half to right back, no. I think that's a stupid idea.

So you’d go for Taylor in the full knowledge Arshavin will tear him an arsehole!?

I’d be interested to see how you ranked our defenders? Is Edgar a better defender than  Taylor, is Enrique better than Collocini?

should stay at RB iyam.

So you’d go for Taylor in the full knowledge Arshavin will tear him an arsehole!?

I’d be interested to see how you ranked our defenders? Is Edgar a better defender than  Taylor, is Enrique better than Collocini?

As Dave says, if Habib's available then I'd pick him. If not, then Ryan Taylor.

Guest fading star

Or somewhere in between?

No it's not.

So what's his excuse when he's not trying to be centre forward? If you've got a defender who's too busy trying to be the hero up front than do his job then he's a liability, pure and simple.

It’s not just up front, he tries to be a hero in defence too. He tries too hard, the bare minimum isn’t enough for ST. It’s a failing, but a fixable one. 

Guest fading star

should stay at RB iyam.

Is that the same Ryan Taylor who gifted MU three points last week?

should stay at RB iyam.

Aye that's him.

should stay at RB iyam.

Aye, because Steven Taylor never drops a bollock.

Or somewhere in between?

No it's not.

It’s not just up front, he tries to be a hero in defence too. He tries too hard, the bare minimum isn’t enough for ST. It’s a failing, but a fixable one. 

:lol:

Or somewhere in between?

No it's not.

I can tell you the attributes he's missing.

Pace, power, anticipation, positioning, the ability to head the ball where you want it to go, good distribution, the ability to have the respect of your fellow team mates and good distribution skills. He's canny at shirking responsibility though and pointing. I'll give him that.

Your getting him mixed up with Collocini.

No I think I know who I'm talking about thank you.

Really there is not that much difference between Stevie Tee, Colo, Jose & Beye all are around about the mark as average PL defenders.  It is only Bassong not playing or getting moved from CB that would bother me.

Guest fading star

Or somewhere in between?

No it's not.

Pace, power, anticipation, positioning, the ability to head the ball where you want it to go, good distribution, the ability to have the respect of your fellow team mates and good distribution skills. He's canny at shirking responsibility though and pointing. I'll give him that.

but no idea what you’re talking about.

Guest Howaythetoon

The stick the lad gets is way over the top. He's by no means a top footballer but he isn't as bad as some make out and while his attitude is a topic of contempt and scorn in some quarters I for one love it and ironically its his kind of attitude that could save us, rather than the talent of a Viduka. Since Beye's inury he has deputised at right-back very well in his absence and has given us something extra going forward, chipping in with goals too.

Or somewhere in between?

No it's not.

but no idea what you’re talking about.

:lol:

Excellent. Still waiting for these attributes btw.

NUFC Leading Scorers this season

1. Michael Owen 10 goals

2. Obafemi Martins 6 goals

3. Shola Ameobi 4 goals

4. Steven Taylor, Damien Duff 3 goals

Frightening stuff.

The kind of stats Alan Smith has dreams about.