Lets all give thanks to uncle Mike....

mrmojorisin75

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article5877222.ece

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2009/mar/09/la-liga-valencia-unai-emery-david-villa

:kinnear:

the titles a piss take obviously, but these two articles really made me think this morning - the Valencia one is especially terrifying, complete madness to be honest

still early so i'm not 100% sure where i'm going with this but when talking about owners NE5 once said something along the lines of "be careful what you wish for"...none of us are remotely happy with MA but things could be much, much worse imo

if we manage to stay up and progress gradually i just wonder how this period will be looked upon in years to come 'cause i think things are gonna get a lot worse financially for clubs before they get better

[dons tin hat]

we're not even 3 points above the relegation zone mate, things clearly couldn't have gone much worse this season

Bottom on minus points due to debt and forced to play our youth ala Weymouth?

Sounds a bit worse, doesn't it?

as i said at the start i wasn't sure where i was going with this, but it's more general than NUFC i suppose...the stories of clubs being hit by finances are getting more & more frequent, i don't expect that to stop

as LiquidAK says things could have been very different had nobody bought the club from FS/Halls, very different indeed

doesn't mean a lot to this season though, obviously...on the pitch we've been an utter travesty

as i said at the start i wasn't sure where i was going with this, but it's more general than NUFC i suppose...the stories of clubs being hit by finances are getting more & more frequent, i don't expect that to stop

as LiquidAK says things could have been very different had nobody bought the club from FS/Halls, very different indeed

doesn't mean a lot to this season though, obviously...on the pitch we've been an utter travesty

its simple. the pl;ayers have been paid, far too much, tenfold imo,.. so it was always going to end one day.

its simple. the pl;ayers have been paid, far too much, tenfold imo,.. so it was always going to end one day.

very true

if, the premier league, had capped salaries at 1 million a year, at the begining, would the players had said fuck that, ill get a job as a decorator, or a bin man, no,... they would still have been very rich, but the clubs would not have accumulated so much debt.

if, the premier league, had capped salaries at 1 million a year, at the begining, would the players had said fuck that, ill get a job as a decorator, or a bin man, no,... they would still have been very rich, but the clubs would not have accumulated so much debt.

the PL, and the clubs, would argue that doing that would have prevented them from being in the position they (when i say they i mean the top 4) are in now with regards europe...seems the europeans can do nothing to stop PL teams dominating for the forseeable

that they can't see it will end badly amazes me

EDIT:  if they just looked at italy ffs...swimming in money late 80's early 90's, dominated and thought the gravy train would roll on forever, look them now

if, the premier league, had capped salaries at 1 million a year, at the begining, would the players had said f*** that, ill get a job as a decorator, or a bin man, no,... they would still have been very rich, but the clubs would not have accumulated so much debt.

Too late now tho, the cats out the bag, players and agents expect top wedge.  Even for average Joes.

The problem with that is that it would instead be the club owners, the FA, and of course SKY who would be raking in the billions of dollars punters like you and me pour into the game through tickets, merchandise and TV subscriptions - unless of course you think ticket prices, merchandise and TV subscriptions would also be set, according to some fixed income:profit ratio?

Players are paid so much because so much money is available - indeed it could be argued that they are merely taking a share of the revenue they raise. After all, who would pay Rupert Murdoch any money if it were not for the players?

Frightening indeed. The powers that be obviously do realize the severity of the situation, but are prepared to do fuck all about it. The top brass just want to line their pockets while they still can, and jump ship when the going gets tough.

Maybe Mike Ashley buying this club will turn out to be a blessing in disguise, and maybe once the dust has settled, we will be one of the clubs on a better financial footing than many others who could find themselves in dire straits.

Let's hope this will be the case.

Frightening indeed. The powers that be obviously do realize the severity of the situation, but are prepared to do fuck all about it. The top brass just want to line their pockets while they still can, and jump ship when the going gets tough.

Maybe Mike Ashley buying this club will turn out to be a blessing in disguise, and maybe once the dust has settled, we will be one of the clubs on a better financial footing than many others who could find themselves in dire straits.

Let's hope this will be the case.

that kind of crossed my mind as a possibility, half the reason i posted it

gonna depend on a shitload of luck for the next couple of seasons though

if, the premier league, had capped salaries at 1 million a year, at the begining, would the players had said f*** that, ill get a job as a decorator, or a bin man, no,... they would still have been very rich, but the clubs would not have accumulated so much debt.

The problem with that is that it would instead be the club owners, the FA, and of course SKY who would be raking in the billions of dollars punters like you and me pour into the game through tickets, merchandise and TV subscriptions - unless of course you think ticket prices, merchandise and TV subscriptions would also be set, according to some fixed income:profit ratio?

Players are paid so much because so much money is available - indeed it could be argued that they are merely taking a share of the revenue they raise. After all, who would pay Rupert Murdoch any money if it were not for the players?

hows that again ?

the FA and sky would get the same monewy as now and the clubs would be on the same deal as now but it means they'd be able to run on a sustainable budget.

If people are prepared to accept the shambles that has been NUFC over the course of this(and other)seasons, they deserve all they are, and will, get.

Face facts - Ashley, for all his good intentions(are they, I wonder?), has messed up jumbo style.

I cannot think of ONE thing he has done this season which has put the club on a better footing.

This has long been my contention about the current situation. Things look bad, but they'd look a fuck of a lot worse if we didn't have someone willing and able to pump enough into the club to keep us going. Yeah, the squad badly needs investment. Yeah, we badly need a better manager. Yeah, they're not very good communicators, appointed Keegan without realising how much they'd have to spend to keep him happy, and failed to predict or deal effectively with the mass hysteria that followed his departure. But they're right to try and get the finances under control because, for clubs other than the regular CL qualifiers, it's no longer going to be possible to live on credit and hope for the best.

Be interesting to see how many clubs fail to find new shirt sponsors in the immediate future.

If people are prepared to accept the shambles that has been NUFC over the course of this(and other)seasons, they deserve all they are, and will, get.

Face facts - Ashley, for all his good intentions(are they, I wonder?), has messed up jumbo style.

I cannot think of ONE thing he has done this season which has put the club on a better footing.

That sentence in bold is probably one of the biggest piles of dogshit I have ever read on this forum

That sentence in bold is probably one of the biggest piles of dogshit I have ever read on this forum

and that takes some doing.

(surely i must have a few contenders for that)

and that takes some doing.

(surely i must have a few contenders for that)

Wow wee look it here, the king of cool being all humble and shit

Give off man....you're da shiznit! Stop acting like you don't know, and keep it real mofo

hows that again ?

the FA and sky would get the same monewy as now and the clubs would be on the same deal as now but it means they'd be able to run on a sustainable budget.

Not so - SKY are the middlemen in that they fleece the punters and shovel (chunks of) the cash at the clubs. This gives the bigger clubs the ability to offer bigger wages (and forces the not so big clubs to gamble financially to stop the bigger clubs from getting away). If SKY didn't charge so much, they wouldn't be able to offer the FA/clubs so much for the broadcasting rights, and thus with less income they wouldn't have the capacity to offer the wages they do.

Obviously the likes of Chel$ki and Man Shitty are exceptions because their ability to offer stupid wages is not limited by their income. But for clubs that do not have a sugar daddy the theory stands - the ability of clubs to offer stupid wages is determined by their ability to raise income. But Chel$ki didn't start the trend, they were following Man Yoo and Arsenal - clubs who (at the time) spent within their means, rewarding their players very well without risking meltdown. If their ability to offer premium wages was curtailed, then they could only have made bigger profits as their wages expenditure would have been lower.

It is the not the players of Leeds, Fiorentina and now apparently Valencia who get their sums spectacularly wrong - it's the directors who calculate those sums. Nor was it the players that Chel$ki and now Man Shitty sign who are shifting the paradigm and escalating wages.

Or, more simply - the players are workers, and workers are entitled to share in the profits they generate. If the profits are vast, then the wages should be proportionally vast...

Guest Stephen927

The future is going to be very tough, even if we do stay up, but you're right it could be a whole lot worse.

Look at Charlton, were fairly solid in the Premiership a very stable club, now they're on the brink of dropping down into League One.

I don't think that excuses failure on behalf of the management and players though.

hows that again ?

Not so - SKY are the middlemen in that they fleece the punters and shovel (chunks of) the cash at the clubs. This gives the bigger clubs the ability to offer bigger wages (and forces the not so big clubs to gamble financially to stop the bigger clubs from getting away). If SKY didn't charge so much, they wouldn't be able to offer the FA/clubs so much for the broadcasting rights, and thus with less income they wouldn't have the capacity to offer the wages they do.

Obviously the likes of Chel$ki and Man Shitty are exceptions because their ability to offer stupid wages is not limited by their income. But for clubs that do not have a sugar daddy the theory stands - the ability of clubs to offer stupid wages is determined by their ability to raise income. But Chel$ki didn't start the trend, they were following Man Yoo and Arsenal - clubs who (at the time) spent within their means, rewarding their players very well without risking meltdown. If their ability to offer premium wages was curtailed, then they could only have made bigger profits as their wages expenditure would have been lower.

It is the not the players of Leeds, Fiorentina and now apparently Valencia who get their sums spectacularly wrong - it's the directors who calculate those sums. Nor was it the players that Chel$ki and now Man Shitty sign who are shifting the paradigm and escalating wages.

Or, more simply - the players are workers, and workers are entitled to share in the profits they generate. If the profits are vast, then the wages should be proportionally vast...

the players are employees of the clubs..the clubs are making losses...should the players wages be proportionate ?

What a ridiculous ridiculous thread.

The wages are too high with people at the club being paid excessively while underperforming badly.

Who does Ashley sell?  Milner, Nzogbia and Given with rumours it's Bassong next.  Some of the best value players at the club in terms of wages vs appearances vs performances.

He's also got a hospitalised has-been manager on £1M a year who's performed worse than any manager in the history of the club bar Ozzie Ardiles.

He's also got a chief scout on a £1.5M a season contract.

He's made one massive payout to get rid of a far better manager than we currently have.

He's due to make an even bigger payout to get rid of another even better manager than we currently have.

He's got us one point from being relegated and losing millions of TV money.

How can people say he's running things well?

I cannot fathom the warped mindset of an Ashley fan.

He's killing our club, and people are gladly watching him do it because he can afford to take the loss on his gamble and keep paying for the ever diminishing returns.......until he says "Fuck it", cuts his losses puts the club into administration and gets first dabs on the £120M of loans he's due as the clubs only creditor.