Is Seven Games Enough With...

Skirge

Starting agianst Chelski being the 1st of the last seven games, is this 11 enough to keep us up? of course that is if these are the 11 that get picked, IMO they should be the 11.

Harper

Beye

Colo

Bass

Enrique

Taylor

Guthrie

Nolan

Jonas

Owen

Oba

Shouldn't Barton be in contention for the Chelsea game? I'd have him ahead of Guthrie, but that 11 is definitely good enough to keep us up. But, like Yorkie says, the management team....

I'd say yes that team should be strong enough to keep us up.

there should also be an option for will that team actually happen, then it would definately be a no.

I'd like to see when fit

Haper

Beye

Colo

Bassong

Enrique

Taylor

Barton

Nolan

Jonas

Owen

Oba

Guest float one in

If Barton and Nolan can play well in the run in I'd hope we'd create enough chances for Owen to score the goals to keep us up.... Its going to be very tight though, MArtins and Owen looked a bit toothless up front together on Saturday I thought, although the fact they had the likes of Geremi and Buut behind them would definitely have contributed to that. I think we'll be solid enough at the back providing we don't pick up anymore injuries... The weekends other results have left me feeling a bit more optimistic that we can stay up, especially if we can avoid two moral-destroying howkings at the hands of Chelsea and Arsenal! If were were to get pasted by those two I can't see who would be there to lift the players confidence and get them back up for the fight of the last 5 matches.

Team on paper is a very good side.

To be honest sorting our midfield would make a massive massive difference. Right now Jonas is our midfield & the others make up the numbers.

I still think Barton coming back will be key. Hes the only one who shows the spirit they all claim to have in these interviews on the pitch...the only one who looks to be able to drive them fowards. Problem is he'll need a few games before hes even half back to his best.

I know the Barton - Nolan CM pairing is a worry for red cards both like to fly into a tackle but lets face it they are not going to be easy to get past are they.

I just hope they do not start messing with looking at a midfield three of Barton Guthrie Nolan, IF Jonas was injured then maybe just maybe.

Barton should replace Nolan not Guthrie

The only reason I might disagree with that is because Nolan is more apt to score goals that Guthrie is.

Nolan isn't the goal scoring threat he once was tbh. Guthrie will get better and better. I'd hate his development to be stunted to preserve the place of a no frills, stopgap midfielder like Nolan

Guest float one in

I know the Barton - Nolan CM pairing is a worry for red cards both like to fly into a tackle but lets face it they are not going to be easy to get past are they.

I just hope they do not start messing with looking at a midfield three of Barton Guthrie Nolan, IF Jonas was injured then maybe just maybe.

I'd actually say the opposite mate - although Barton can be a violent tackler and Nolan recently did that shocking tackle on the Everton player I don't think either of them are particularly strong ball winners... I always saw Nolan as a poor man's Lampard, making late runs into the box and weighing in with his fair share of goals from midfield while Barton is more of a box to box player when he's playing well. The reason I'd have both of them in the side is because we desperately need goals and they are more likely to provide them than Guthrie in my opinion. I don't think Nolan-Barton is likely to protect the back foue particulalry well but the recent centre midfields of Butt/Geremi/Smith/Taylor haven't been doign that either so we're not losing all that much while hopefully gaining a fair bit of goal threat.

I'd actually say the opposite mate - although Barton can be a violent tackler and Nolan recently did that shocking tackle on the Everton player I don't think either of them are particularly strong ball winners... I always saw Nolan as a poor man's Lampard, making late runs into the box and weighing in with his fair share of goals from midfield while Barton is more of a box to box player when he's playing well. The reason I'd have both of them in the side is because we desperately need goals and they are more likely to provide them than Guthrie in my opinion. I don't think Nolan-Barton is likely to protect the back foue particulalry well but the recent centre midfields of Butt/Geremi/Smith/Taylor haven't been doign that either so we're not losing all that much while hopefully gaining a fair bit of goal threat.

Very interesting indeed, so who would we want as the holding CM? Guthrie?

Beye--------Colo---------Bass--------Jose

--------------------Guth

------Barton---------------------Nolan

-------------------Jonas

--------Owen-----------------Oba

Guest float one in

--------------------Guth

-------------------Jonas

Thats not a bad shout... problem is I can't see Kinnear/Hughton having the bottle or insight to go with anything other than a 442. Plus main reason the 433 worked so well last season was that we had Viduka holding it up and linking up with Owen and Martins - we haven't got that at all now so don't know if it would work. In a 442 I'd go for Barton and Nolan and do without a holding player, especially against the poorer teams we'll play against. I really like Guthrie and hope he develops into a real quality ball playing CM for us, but he's not a great tackler from what I've seen and doesn't have the best engine either... at the minute I'd put the players most likely to score/set up goals in there, which for me is Barton and Nolan.

Guest firetotheworks

--------------------Guth

-------------------Jonas

Id Modify that to this:

--------------------Guth

-----R.Taylor---------------------Barton

-------------------Owen

--------Oba-----------------Jonas

Basically a modified version of the Keegan Model from last season.

It'll never happen mind.

Guest firetotheworks

Jonas up front? The man couldnt finish his dinner man

Technically he's up front, but he'd be in the same role he is now really. It's just with what we have, having him in that position in a 4-3-3 allows for Barton and R.Taylor to tuck in and tighten up the middle or move out wide. VS Reading last season was the example of when it worked flawlessly.

Jonas up front? The man couldnt finish his dinner man

Play him there because with that system we would need to be winning the ball high up the pitch and get rid of this dropping off as soon as we lose the ball, also Jonas can hold the bal up, its not all about being able to shoot playing in that role.

I really can't see why most of you are still putting R Tayor in the starting XI? He hasn't done anything to warrant him a starting spot IMO. Except the 1st game he's been pretty poor even at his speciality which is supposed to be the set-pieces(well...we've got no-one better though). We haven't seen him as full-back yet which is his prferred position but at the midfield there sure are better options available!

My team for the remaining matches:

Harper

Beye  Coloccini  Bassong  Enrique

Nolan
     Jonas                      Duff
                    Barton

Owen                Oba

--------------------Guth

-------------------Jonas

Should be something more like:

--------------------Guth

------Barton---------------------Jonas

-------------------Owen

--------Love-----------------Oba

But can anyone in that squad take a free kick as consistently as R. Taylor?