Vancouver White Caps Given MLS Status.....

NG32

What happened to Red Bull Park?  Are they playing there this season or any time soon?

It was supposed to open this year I think, but there were construction delays, so I believe they pushed back opening the new Red Bull Arena to next year. It should be quite nice when it opens, I might finally attend my first Red Bulls match.

Do any teams play in black and white like us?

Not in the MLS. For the most part North American teams stay away from B&W stripes due to its common usage by referees (especially in basketball and American football). A minor league team called the Richmond Kickers used to play in B&W but they changed to red a few years back. I think that was the only one.

Thanks, some new team should do it, maybe Philly?

It'll never happen. It's like CaliMag says. Between referees and footlocker employees, black and white stripes aren't the same here.

Still, its a chance for a team to give themselves a unique identity in the MLS.  Someone should go that way iyam.

I think that when there is a team in the league called Real Salt Lake it is time to stop copying other's ideas and come up with something of your own. If a team comes out in balck and white stripes, Americans will laugh at them for looking like referees and those with knowledge of the game will think they are only copying from clubs like Newcastle, Juventus, and Siena.

How are DC United doing btw? I remember they were very successful and classy with a good supporter base back in the 90's. Pretty much the opposite of what you would expect of an MLS team.

How are DC United doing btw? I remember they were very successful and classy with a good supporter base back in the 90's. Pretty much the opposite of what you would expect of an MLS team.

The problem with MLS is that you can be a horrible team, lose half your matches, and still make the playoffs and get on a hot streak and win the whole thing.  There is no meaning behind the regular season matches, especially with the West/East divisions.  That being said, DC United do relatively well, they generally make the playoffs - but that's not saying much.  They've still got two great supporters clubs in La Barra Brava and the Screaming Eagles though.

The problem with MLS is that you can be a horrible team, lose half your matches, and still make the playoffs and get on a hot streak and win the whole thing.  There is no meaning behind the regular season matches, especially with the West/East divisions.  That being said, DC United do relatively well, they generally make the playoffs - but that's not saying much.  They've still got two great supporters clubs in La Barra Brava and the Screaming Eagles though.

That's just the way North American sports work and what fans would expect, it's always all about the playoffs, just like the NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL, etc. The key would be to reduce the size of the playoffs, hopefully with 18 teams soon, getting into the playoffs will prove that you are at least a decent team. As it currently stands, the regular season is a total joke, since almost everyone makes it into the playoffs like the NBA. Make it more like the NFL or MLB, where getting in is itself a huge accomplishment, and then both the regular season and playoffs have value. If it's just 8 out of 18 or 8 out of 20 making it, then I can live with that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

MLS Philly 2010 will be announced the Philadelphia team today, strong rumours of the name being Philadelphia Union, with blue and gold colouring.

http://media.philly.com/images/300*305/20090508_inq_skick08z-a.JPG

I like the logo and the colours but not sure about the name tbh. Some constitutional mumbo-jumbo is given as reasoning.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/front_page/20090508_Philadelphia_MLS_team_named_Union.html

Hopefully they're not emblazoned with a massive BEST  BUY sponsor across the front, we'll see at 4:30pm BST!

WOOOO. go team.