4-3-3

Rich

How I miss your beautiful shape and wonderful execution.

I'm not convinced that any central midfield pairing available to us is capable of effectively bossing/dominating any of the midfields we will face between now and the end of the season. Even when Barton returns (and I assume most people would pick him with Guthrie) I fear that we're still too slow, small and weak in that central area to ever see any (regular) effective contributions coming from it.

Further to that, I'm not convinced that the players we have at our disposal in that area are good enough footballers to get by without the above characteristics, although the difference Danny Guthrie made in there when he came on today was easily noticeable. Credit goes to him for constantly wanting the ball, for that lovely shoulder-drop he has that buys him an extra second or two on the ball when he has it, and for his constant desire to pass and move. I don't think the lad is a world-beater by any stretch, but you can tell he knows how to play the fucking game.

I think that the players in our squad generally, and the players we currently have fit in particular, simply do not perform at their best in a 4-4-2 because we don't have two wingers worthy of the name or, as mentioned, two central midfielders with the physical/technical attributes to be able to compete with most other Premiership combinations (asking Butt and Nolan to battle with Essien, Lampard and Mikel today was only ever going to see one outcome - did anyone see Kevin Nolan do anything useful, by the way?)

If the F.A.B. gets his arse in any fit shape to move about (even slightly) on a football pitch and Owen and Martins remain fit then I hope to Jesus we give this a try again. Failing the mighty Viduka gracing us with his portly presence, I wouldn't even mind seeing Carroll or Xisco given a try in his role. Fucking hell, even Shola...

Pie in the sky, though, I fear.

I think that the players in our squad generally, and the players we currently have fit in particular, simply do not perform at their best in a 4-4-2 because we don't have two wingers worthy of the name or, as mentioned, two central midfielders with the physical/technical attributes to be able to compete with most other Premiership combinations (asking Butt and Nolan to battle with Essien, Lampard and Mikel today was only ever going to see one outcome - did anyone see Kevin Nolan do anything useful, by the way?)

He left the field to make way for another player.  :undecided:

I think we need a fresh look at our formation, we do not have the right players for a 4-4-2.

-------------------Harper

--------Beye-----Bassong-----Taylor----

jonas-------------------------------------Enrique

------Guthrie------Nolan---------Butt

--------------Owen----------Oba

---------------------Harper

Beye-------Taylor-----------Bassong-------Enrique

----Joans------------Nolan-------------Guth

----------Oba--------Carroll-------Owen

How I miss your beautiful shape and wonderful execution.

I'm not convinced that any central midfield pairing available to us is capable of effectively bossing/dominating any of the midfields we will face between now and the end of the season. Even when Barton returns (and I assume most people would pick him with Guthrie) I fear that we're still too slow, small and weak in that central area to ever see any (regular) effective contributions coming from it.

Further to that, I'm not convinced that the players we have at our disposal in that area are good enough footballers to get by without the above characteristics, although the difference Danny Guthrie made in there when he came on today was easily noticeable. Credit goes to him for constantly wanting the ball, for that lovely shoulder-drop he has that buys him an extra second or two on the ball when he has it, and for his constant desire to pass and move. I don't think the lad is a world-beater by any stretch, but you can tell he knows how to play the fucking game.

If the F.A.B. gets his arse in any fit shape to move about (even slightly) on a football pitch and Owen and Martins remain fit then I hope to Jesus we give this a try again. Failing the mighty Viduka gracing us with his portly presence, I wouldn't even mind seeing Carroll or Xisco given a try in his role. Fucking hell, even Shola...

Pie in the sky, though, I fear.

Chelsea always play with the 3 central midfield,dare i say Shearer was naive in not flooding the middle of the park to combat their 3.Credit to Butt for a change though,I thought he worked his socks off.

Butt was excellent today in certain aspects of his game, seemed well up for the challenge and even avoided a yellow card (although he should definitely have had one for scything down Malouda after we'd fucked up yet another corner.)

Also, I do agree with you Tray, but I think AS just wanted to "be brave" and go for it as we were at home and he'd spoken of not seeing this as a "no chance" match. Setting out at 4-4-2 with Owen and Oba and Loven/Jonas on the flanks certainly gave that impression, although it didn't exactly transpire that way on the park.

I personally think we were fucking atrocious, especially compared to the games against Arsenal and Man Utd (well a combined total of about 105 minutes of those games, at least). Created absolutely bugger all, didn't get the crowd going at all with anything to inspire them and just looked entirely one-dimensional (long ball).

Awful first game for him though, really, as Chelsea are the ultimate party-poopers. Let's move on and see how we do against lesser teams.

Guest Heneage

Danny Guthrie came from a good team that pass and moves brilliantly, thus why he does it. He must get pissed off at the lack of movement those around him as its not even something that requires much though, pass the ball and move into new space. We will truly see the full potential of Danny Guthrie when he has these type of players around him.

In theory if we could get Barton back for Pompey, and play a sort of Guthrie, Barton, Jonas, with the top three of Carroll Oba and Owen, we could have a good team on our hands. But its right what Rich says really, we lack a dominant midfield pairing, so a 4-3-3 might work, or we could attempt the Man City formation of a star formation up top, but we need a Robinho type creator which we lack, at best we could put Nolan there or Owen, and just have Barton and Guthrie on mop up duty. Sort of like this.

--Guthrie---Barton----

Oba------------------Owen -------------Jonas

-----------------------Carroll.

Danny Guthrie came from a good team that pass and moves brilliantly, thus why he does it. He must get pissed off at the lack of movement those around him as its not even something that requires much though, pass the ball and move into new space. We will truly see the full potential of Danny Guthrie when he has these type of players around him.

In theory if we could get Barton back for Pompey, and play a sort of Guthrie, Barton, Jonas, with the top three of Carroll Oba and Owen, we could have a good team on our hands. But its right what Rich says really, we lack a dominant midfield pairing, so a 4-3-3 might work, or we could attempt the Man City formation of a star formation up top, but we need a Robinho type creator which we lack, at best we could put Nolan there or Owen, and just have Barton and Guthrie on mop up duty. Sort of like this.

--Guthrie---Barton----

Bolton!? :razz:

Guest Heneage

--Guthrie---Barton----

Sadly yes :lol:

But I meant Liverpool of course where Mr Guthrie graduated from their Academy, with some Scousers I know saying it was sad to see the lad go as he never got a proper chance. Sad really that what they deem not good enough is a cut above our lot.

--Guthrie---Barton----

Sadly yes :lol:

But I meant Liverpool of course where Mr Guthrie graduated from their Academy, with some Scousers I know saying it was sad to see the lad go as he never got a proper chance. Sad really that what they deem not good enough is a cut above our lot.

Liverpool reserves at best then :p

You can definitely see the pedigree of his training like, you're not wrong there. It was a laugh comparing his half-time preparation with that of Edgar/Carroll... well, it wasn't, but you know what I mean.

Get Barton back, play Guthrie from the start......get Gutierrez further up the pitch and cutting inside more...hope Butt has a half decent game = completely different Newcastle.

Even Guthrie starting against lesser sides than chelsea makes us a much better team, just because hes sadly our most creative player with his passing. Barton is much better defensively though...probably attacking wise also.

Hopefully Alan will be talking to Michael & he can tell him himself where he feels most effective. Recent times though it has to be behind a front two, hes to easily marked out of it otherwise.

Another alternative might be 4-5-1, although the time for that might have been against the better teams. The only reason I'm even considering it is when we put out supposedly attacking teams like we did yesterday we are neither creating or scoring goals so we might just have to make sure we can compete in midfield for 90 mins. For most games this season we've done ok for 45 mins then run out of gas in the second half.

Guest sicko2ndbest

...................................Harper......................................

Beye.................Taylor....................Bass..................Jose

...................................Butt.........................................

...................Nolan...........................Guthrie...................

.................................Owen.......................................

..........Martins..........................................Jonas.............

or

..................................Guthrie........................................

......................Nolan.............................Jonas................

...................................Owen........................................

...............Oba......................................Xisco.....................

It was a laugh comparing his half-time preparation with that of Edgar/Carroll... well, it wasn't, but you know what I mean.

I was watching AC warming up pre-game & fuck me Shola could show him a thing or two about how to control a ball. As for his shooting I was worried for the people  in the low & mid tier & corners of the Gallowgate. This lad will never hear the term "has  good skills for a big man".

A team with Andy Carroll as targetman will not survive in the Premiership.

Over 38 games, I would agree, however this is short-term for 7 games. He'll be more than adequate.

A team with Andy Carroll as targetman will not survive in the Premiership.

I agree over long term, but the next few games away from home he would be quite useful. I was more about the formation. I'd replace him with Love if he recovered in time.

You got to go with Xisco he could turn out to be our Tevez

Although, if we play percentages Smith is due to score. Or if Stoke have the Newcastle curse of the x-players scoring against them then Shola must start & Griff plus the Faye's  need taken out in the tunnel.

Could you imagine the shame if Amdy Faye scores against us.