4-3-3

Rich

The most frustrating thing about it was that when Guthrie came on, he was fucking garbage - probably the worst i've ever seen him play for us, and i thought it would be a formation that he would relish in. Smith was actually okay, in that he did nothing wrong, but such is his totally limited footballing ability - his contribution was about 10% that of Barton and Geremi last season.

But there were shades of a promising formation, imo. There were one or two nice passing moves, and i mean one or two. Particularly that Viduka chance right after half-time; lovely bit of football with all three attackers combining.

So fucking frustrating. If Shearer had come in even a month earlier, the players would have this formation sussed by now. Tricky thing is, i'm really not sure what midfield we should be putting out. Do we try another three, thus leaving another three trying to 'get used to it'? I'm not sure... i actually think i'd stick with Butt and Smith, then one of Jonas or Guthrie. No one kept the ball better than Smith last night. He didn't do much but he 'kept us ticking', and at a time where we struggle to muster a two-pass move, Smith looks useful.

I do think there's hope in the formation. Jose getting injured is a bit of a killer like but Duff can do a job. Atleast he isn't afraid to get to the byline.

Aye Guthrie was absolutely shite like.

Still think his spot in that system is in the middle of the three, where his lack of mobility wouldn't hurt us as much and he can do what he usually is pretty decent at, pass the ball. For the run-in though, Butt will have the spot.

Hopefully Barton can be ready to go by the Boro game.

Barton  --  Butt  --  Smith/Jonas

Is probably the best we can manage. :(

Guthrie has a habit of going to pieces in some games, I don't think he handles the pressure situation very well. I wouldn't want to rely on him in a do or die match.

he is the definition of light-weight, been saying that all season. he needs strong runners (barton maybe?) alongside him otherwise his head drops. i actually thought he was excellent after he came on in the first half, but abysmal in the second.

Guthrie has a habit of going to pieces in some games, I don't think he handles the pressure situation very well. I wouldn't want to rely on him in a do or die match.

he is the definition of light-weight, been saying that all season. he needs strong runners (barton maybe?) alongside him otherwise his head drops. i actually thought he was excellent after he came on in the first half, but abysmal in the second.

He has just returned from injury to be fair.

he came back from injury a month ago.

i quite like him tbh, he is good on the ball, usually, which puts him ahead of someone like Nolan. if he had strength or pace or stamina or aggression he'd be a good player, but unfortunately he lacks every single one of those attributes. he's a mediocre, lower-mid-table premiership player, which makes him one of our best, sadly.

he came back from injury a month ago.

i quite like him tbh, he is good on the ball, usually, which puts him ahead of someone like Nolan. if he had strength or pace or stamina or aggression he'd be a good player, but unfortunately he lacks every single one of those attributes. he's a mediocre, lower-mid-table premiership player, which makes him one of our best, sadly.

That's pretty much spot on. He is technically streets ahead of Nolan and Smith but he is easily dominated. Also, like most of our midfielders he just hovers around the centre circle, he doesn't get box to box or  try and get beyond the strikers.

The key to this working last season was the insistence in keeping the ball on the groound.

Nowadays a number of our players too easily and often play the ball in the air to no one in particular and no one in the coaching staff seems to give a damn about it.

The key to this working last season was the insistence in keeping the ball on the groound.

Nowadays a number of our players too easily and often play the ball in the air to no one in particular and no one in the coaching staff seems to give a damn about it.

To be fair there was an effort made last night to keep it on the deck, just our three CM's were utterly incapable of picking a worthwhile ball forward when we got into an attacking position.

To be fair there was an effort made last night to keep it on the deck, just our three CM's were utterly incapable of picking a worthwhile ball forward when we got into an attacking position.

i thought we played the long ball far too much, as we have in all of shearer's games.

i thought we played the long ball far too much, as we have in all of shearer's games.

We've been doing it since Keegan left, I don't think the players are capable or confident enough to knock the ball around on the floor for too long. There's not enough movement off the ball anyway. We did start off trying to pass on the deck, but Pompey moved the ball around much slicker.