Shay Given - Games are running out for Newcastle

NG32

Shay Given fears games are running out for Newcastle - 'If anyone can galvanise the club, it is Alan Shearer' - 'Please God, Alan can keep them up' - The Guardian

Shay Given is keeping his fingers crossed that Alan Shearer can guide Newcastle United to safety. The Republic of Ireland goalkeeper left the Magpies in January after 11 years, when the club accepted a £6m offer from Manchester City, but he still keeps a close eye on events at St James' Park and has been in contact with his former team-mate since his appointment as manager until the end of the season.

Given believes that if anyone can guide Newcastle away from relegation it is Shearer, although he worries that time may run out. "He should have been brought in earlier to try and get some results," he said. "It would be a real tragedy if they got relegated but it is getting very close. The games are running out and the results are not going so well. Please God, Alan can keep them up and they can start to invest more in the team and have a stronger squad."

Newcastle's is the first result Given looks for and he says it will be a sad occasion him if they go down. "It is not easy to divorce myself from Newcastle," he said. "The last thing I want is to see them get relegated because they have such fantastic supporters. I spoke to Alan and dropped him a few texts wishing him luck. If anyone can have an effect and galvanise the club, it is him."

Despite his long service at Newcastle, however, Given says he does not regret his move to City, even if their season has slumped alarmingly. "It was a big decision to leave because I had been at Newcastle for such a long time," he said. "But it was an opportunity to come to a club who hope to

Coward.................we dont need your sympathy.

That's nice to hear from Shay. It's obvious that he still cares about the club a great deal and I don't begrudge him leaving at all. I just wish he left to a better and bigger club but it was his choice so what can you really do about it. I still admire the man and appreciate the years that he spent here. Every time I watch him make a super save, I wish he was making the save for us.

He can fuck right off. If he cared that much about the club he'd have seen the season out.

He preferred to engineer a move away when the chips were down. Fucking cowardly wanker.

That's nice to hear from Shay. It's obvious that he still cares about the club a great deal and I don't begrudge him leaving at all. I just wish he left to a better and bigger club but it was his choice so what can you really do about it. I still admire the man and appreciate the years that he spent here. Every time I watch him make a super save, I wish he was making the save for us.

He done a runner in our darkest hour.

All he had to do was stay on 5-6 months for a move.

I bet he's gutted to find out that the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence. City are doing shit and he's playing in Manchester where his club are considered 2nd fiddle to Man U.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Loved him, a true player who alway related well to the masses

That ended the day he jumped ship.

We don't need his sympathy, he'll need ours when the new boss comes in and decides he wants casillas!

can't believe people put it down to cowardice, i really can't

:lol:

Calm down princess.

He fucked off when we really needed him, just 5 more months of his life is all the club wanted. 

Coward.

Loved him, a true player who alway related well to the masses

That ended the day he jumped ship.

We don't need his sympathy, he'll need ours when the new boss comes in and decides he wants casillas!

it's probably going to happen like