Dowie

Thespence

More from Dowie

IAIN Dowie has warned Spurs that Newcastle United will not wilt under the challenge of Harry Redknapp’s side in Sunday’s crucial encounter at White Hart Lane.

Dowie knows all about Redknapp’s managerial capabilities after playing under the Cockney during his days at West Ham in the 1990s.

However, former Northern Ireland star Dowie would love nothing better than to celebrate his first Toon win at the expense of his old mentor.

He told the Chronicle: “Harry is a manager I know very well.

“But we’ll go there with plenty of spirit and buoyed by a good result.

“We’ll put in a positive display as both teams like to pass it about a bit.

“We must continue what we’re doing here.

“That’s playing with spirit, playing with passion and playing with heart – but also passing the ball. That’s what we’ll be trying to do.”

Dowie also believes the Toon Army will again have to play their part after a rousing reception for the United stars at Stoke helped earn a valuable draw.

And Dowie feels that the fans are sensing a turnaround.

He added: “The fans were magnificent for us at Stoke.

“We’ve talked long and hard about it.

“It’s such a ferocious type of atmosphere.

“They want a bit of joy and we’re trying to bring it to them.

“Certainly they want to see a passing type of game and that’s what we are trying to do.

“Both myself and Alan have always preferred that style of play.

“We’ve always liked to get the ball down and pass it round on the floor.

“We’ll be working on that and hopefully it’s starting to show.”

Indeed, Dowie was especially impressed with the defending on show at Stoke after they survived an aerial bombardment.

He said: “In terms of the way we defended generally, apart from one slip-up, we defended well especially on set pieces.

“Alan stressed that we should get the ball down and pass it we also did that.

“What was pleasing was that other than a rocky spell after half-time when they gave us a few problems, we had a great deal of possession.

“I thought we were brave and got what we deserved.

“Stoke were always going to cause problems because of their size.

“But generally it was pleasing because of the attitude, spirit and desire.

“The lads left nothing in the tank.”

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/04/16/redknapp-s-warned-dow-it-s-our-time-72703-23399533/

More from Iain:

NEWCASTLE United assistant manager Iain Dowie has revealed he is willing to continue telling Toon players to “get on their bike” ahead of Sunday’s trip to White Hart Lane.

The former Crystal Palace and Oldham Athletic boss ordered United to travel to the Potteries with a pair of exercise bikes for the substitutes to take turns on warming up.

And with both Geordie boy Andy Carroll and Argentine star Jonas Gutierrez both playing significant parts in Stoke’s surrender of their 1-0 lead, it could be argued that Dowie’s interesting approach has paid off.

Previous managers to have tried this method of warming up include former Wallsend Boys Club player and ex-Scunthorpe United boss Brian Laws, who used to warm up Peter Beagrie in the same way in order to get something extra from the winger during the twilight years of his long career.

Dowie, who feels it can give United the extra edge, told the Chronicle: “I will take any extra percent I can get.

“We’ve implemented a lot of stuff.

“They can now get on the bikes before they warm up.

“That then makes them half warmed up before they warm up.

“If that prevents an injury, so much the better.

“Jonas looked very lively when he came on and if it’s something to do with the bike thing, it’s something that we’ll keep doing.

“It’s very important to take any edge you can and that may have been the case at Stoke.”

Yet both Dowie and Alan Shearer have re-jigged several issues at St James’s Park since taking over in the last fortnight.

Indeed Shearer now insists that players must eat together and injured players will face late afternoons during their rehab.

Former Toon ace Robbie Elliott is also now playing a big part in the sports science side of things at the club’s Benton HQ.

And Shearer has brought former physio and United old boy Paul Ferris back into the club’s backroom staff.

Dowie said: “We make sure the lads are well hydrated, they get regular ice baths, plenty of stretching beforehand and plenty of prehab.

“Alan has made his point –it’s all hands on deck now and we’ve implemented a few changes.

“I’d never be disrespectful and talk about anything that happened before.

“Myself and Alan can’t change that.

“What we can affect is what happens in our time here.

“We’ve got a fantastic response from the lads on the training field

“We’ve had a really good work ethic – we’ve been delighted with the response.

“Rome wasn’t built in a day but we’ve embraced it all.

“There is a sharpness in it.”

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/04/16/dowie-kicks-off-chain-reaction-72703-23399306/

More from Dowie

IAIN Dowie has warned Spurs that Newcastle United will not wilt under the challenge of Harry Redknapps side in Sundays crucial encounter at White Hart Lane.

Dowie knows all about Redknapps managerial capabilities after playing under the Cockney during his days at West Ham in the 1990s.

However, former Northern Ireland star Dowie would love nothing better than to celebrate his first Toon win at the expense of his old mentor.

He told the Chronicle: Harry is a manager I know very well.

But well go there with plenty of spirit and buoyed by a good result.

Well put in a positive display as both teams like to pass it about a bit.

We must continue what were doing here.

Thats playing with spirit, playing with passion and playing with heart but also passing the ball. Thats what well be trying to do.

Dowie also believes the Toon Army will again have to play their part after a rousing reception for the United stars at Stoke helped earn a valuable draw.

And Dowie feels that the fans are sensing a turnaround.

He added: The fans were magnificent for us at Stoke.

Weve talked long and hard about it.

Its such a ferocious type of atmosphere.

They want a bit of joy and were trying to bring it to them.

Certainly they want to see a passing type of game and thats what we are trying to do.

Both myself and Alan have always preferred that style of play.

Weve always liked to get the ball down and pass it round on the floor.

Well be working on that and hopefully its starting to show.

Indeed, Dowie was especially impressed with the defending on show at Stoke after they survived an aerial bombardment.

He said: In terms of the way we defended generally, apart from one slip-up, we defended well especially on set pieces.

Alan stressed that we should get the ball down and pass it we also did that.

What was pleasing was that other than a rocky spell after half-time when they gave us a few problems, we had a great deal of possession.

I thought we were brave and got what we deserved.

Stoke were always going to cause problems because of their size.

But generally it was pleasing because of the attitude, spirit and desire.

The lads left nothing in the tank.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/04/16/redknapp-s-warned-dow-it-s-our-time-72703-23399533/

have to say mind, we didnt pass it around on the floor at stoke!

• 1 month later...
Guest The Libertine

thoughts on dowie?

i was baffled as to why he was chosen originally (other than being a friend of shearer) and i really havent been convinced by him. if shearer had somebody more experienced or knowledgeable beside him, we'd have done much better.

it also scares the shit out of me that he might somehow end up with the managers job next season.

thoughts on dowie?

i was baffled as to why he was chosen originally (other than being a friend of shearer) and i really havent been convinced by him. if shearer had somebody more experienced or knowledgeable beside him, we'd have done much better.

it also scares the shit out of me that he might somehow end up with the managers job next season.

I was actually thinking the same about Colin Calderwood this morning and trying to work our what he had brought to the club in his time here ?

For Dowie, I think he and Shearer didnt have enough time to work with the dross. Needs a full season by Shearer's side to judge.

thoughts on dowie?

Eh? Why didn't you say this before the season ended, then?

Can you come up with names as to who were more experienced or knowledgeable and available at the time, besides Dowie?

so people are blaming Dowie before Shearer  :nope:

clearly neither are truly to blame, but of course anything to insulate Shearer from criticism, abosolutely pathetic.

I have a lot more faith in Dowie than Hughton, Kinnear or the other mountain of dickeahds like Saunders and Mcgolfbuddy that we've had in the dugout. He's honest, straight to the point and whilst not manager material, more than qualified to be in the no.2 seat.

thoughts on dowie?

:nope:

The fact I couldn't think of anything to answer this post with (other than insults and/or other smilies) says it all really. About both of us, perhaps. :thdn:

Guest The Libertine

thoughts on dowie?

Eh? Why didn't you say this before the season ended, then?

Can you come up with names as to who were more experienced or knowledgeable and available at the time, besides Dowie?

i was waiting to see what happened in the 8 games. the things i see shearer getting the most criticism for is his tactics and possibly his subs and these are the 2 things dowie should be "advising" shearer about.

i dont know who was available/willing at the time, how could i? but i do know that ian dowie knows very little about tactics. shearer is learning off a bad teacher imo.

Guest The Libertine

clearly neither are truly to blame, but of course anything to insulate Shearer from criticism, abosolutely pathetic.

i was one of the few who wasnt completely delighted by shearer coming in actually. less so about dowie being an advisor.

i was one of the few who wasnt completely delighted by shearer coming in actually. less so about dowie being an advisor.

he's an assistant, not his job to pick the team, choose the tactics or motivate the players

And by all accounts everything off the field has been bang-on. Although I do appreciate you're not going to get players saying anything else in the media about their manager/his assistant.

I think it's a good pairing, but 8 games was never going to be enough for it to tell.

Guest The Libertine

he's an assistant, not his job to pick the team, choose the tactics or motivate the players

you dont think he helps? he wont have the final say but shearer clearly trusts his advice.

plus

“I have spent long hours in the office with Alan analysing videos, talking tactics — all to get that extra 1 per cent which will push us over the edge."

I've got a feeling he'll be the man in charge come the start of the season. He's got experience of winning promotion before but I'm not convinced about him.

Just think Shearer will look at it and say, he doesn't really fancy the job under the current circumstances and suggests Dowie as the best candidate.

you dont think he helps? he wont have the final say but shearer clearly trusts his advice.

plus

I have spent long hours in the office with Alan analysing videos, talking tactics all to get that extra 1 per cent which will push us over the edge."

he makes suggestions, course he does. But the buck stops with Big Al for the tactics.

Guest Stephen927

If Shearer and Dowie do decide to stay on, Dowie's experience in the Championship could come in handy if Shearer is unaware of teams/players down in that league.

Was thinking about this while watching Match of the Day. No idea how much knowledge Shearer would have of the Championship but Dowie surely has a good working knowledge of it, could work well again.

Guest firetotheworks

thoughts on dowie?

it also scares the s*** out of me that he might somehow end up with the managers job next season.

What are you basing that on? Tbh I wouldnt know where to look, other than our performances, and I still think its too early to judge either Shearer or Dowie based on those.

His experience in the championship (as mentioned) will be invaluable, as will his brothers if the reports are true.

Add in Carvers experience and Rob Lee's apparent tactical nouse (I dont know where this assumption has come from but it sounded good)

and the coaching should have very decent depth and quality.

plus

“I have spent long hours in the office with Alan analysing videos, talking tactics — all to get that extra 1 per cent which will push us over the edge."

he makes suggestions, course he does. But the buck stops with Big Al for the tactics.

You honestly believe that?

To be honest, I think Dowie would have been managing the team more than Shearer.

plus

I have spent long hours in the office with Alan analysing videos, talking tactics all to get that extra 1 per cent which will push us over the edge."

You honestly believe that?

To be honest, I think Dowie would have been managing the team more than Shearer.

Load of rubbish. If that's true, we'd just give Dowie the manager's job and forget Shearer.