Tottenham Hotspur 1 - 0 Newcastle - 19/04/08 - post match reaction from page 25

Dave

Harper - 5 - Schoolboy error to spill it to the opposition striker for the goal, had a couple of decent blocks and rushes after that.

Beye - 6 - Decent, a number of good sliding tackles

Bassong - 5 - Awful in the first half, had to decide late on in the build-up whether to go to the ball out wide or stick to the man in the middle, as such Bent raped him every time he got the ball. Improved in the second, made one top class block.

S. Taylor - 6 - Fairly solid

Jonas - 7 - Our main outlet for the majority of the game, a number of good dribbles and incisive passes. However, as usual, he's got nothing in the way of a final ball.

Butt - doesnt merit a rating. fuck off

Nolan - likewise

R. Taylor - and again

Duff - 3 - struggled with his wing-back role, lennon tore him to bits while he was too isolated to really do anything about their passing. contributed little going forward.

Carroll - 4 - out of the game

Owen - 3 - out of the game for longer

Smith - 6 - had one or two sloppy moments but his touch and passing is far better than Butt or Nolan's. still doesnt look like scoring ever.

Viduka - 7 - Laboured a little but showed excellent control and vision, backheel to martins as soon as he came on was impressive. has to start.

Martins - 8 - immediate impact, used his pace and movement well and his link-play was also good. showed excellent instinct to fashion a few chances but lacked the sharpness to put them away. the disallowed goal wouldve been great.

We simply must find a system and stick to it.

Today, it was like everyone was trying out everyone else's positions.

Beye, Taylor and Taylor switched a few times - It was like 'who wants to be RB' interview day. Duff was picking and choosing whether he was LB or LW. Jonas played behind the front two, in CM, on the RW, LW, Left of a forward three...Nolan and Butt were running round in circles, Bassong was playing at the back by himself, Ryan Taylor was running nowhere, Viduka and Owen were so deep they might as well have been centre midfielders.

It was pathetic at times. Make sure everyone knows their positions and sticks to them.

Yeah.

If you watch Fulham play their structure is amazing, hardly ever break from the 4-4-2.

I thought we saw something very different in the last half-hour or so. As soon as Viduka and Martins came on, we offered something in the last third and with Gutierrez and possibly Barton playing behind those three in the forthcoming games, we'll get goals.

First half was poor, but mainly due to the fact that Shearer got his selection wrong again. We have to play with a flat back-four, it's way too confusing for our defenders to shift that formation in this critical time.

I'd like to see this formation for the Pompey game, if Barton is fit:

----------------Harper----------

Beye--Bassong-Taylor--Duff

--------------Smith--------------

--------Gutierrez-Barton------

-------------Owen--------------

--------Viduka-Martins--------

Smith can't pass the ball, can't shoot or anything, but he has a bit of spirit in him, and his legs aren't as tierd as Butts. I'd give him a go.

Btw. I think Duff performed OK at LB today and should be played there until Enrique is back.

Keep the faith!

Smith's passing was miles ahead of anyone else that played in the centre of midfield today, I'd hate to see Butt attempting some of the cross field balls that Smith did with ease.

Been saying for ages that Smith should start ahead of Butt. Not that Smith's great but at least he's not half dead.

Smith isn't great, but he has some quality which Nolan and Butt lack. Until he came on we looked utterly lethargic in midfield.

God even Shearer cannot get any thing out of this shower of shit but the forward line that finished has to start in the next game and while we are on Nolan,Taylor,Butt and Duff are so shit no wonder we cannot create chances ,even Smith must start ahead of anyone of those fuckers.

I thought we saw something very different in the last half-hour or so. As soon as Viduka and Martins came on, we offered something in the last third and with Gutierrez and possibly Barton playing behind those three in the forthcoming games, we'll get goals.

First half was poor, but mainly due to the fact that Shearer got his selection wrong again. We have to play with a flat back-four, it's way too confusing for our defenders to shift that formation in this critical time.

I'd like to see this formation for the Pompey game, if Barton is fit:

----------------Harper----------

Beye--Bassong-Taylor--Duff

--------------Smith--------------

--------Gutierrez-Barton------

-------------Owen--------------

--------Viduka-Martins--------

Smith can't pass the ball, can't shoot or anything, but he has a bit of spirit in him, and his legs aren't as tierd as Butts. I'd give him a go.

Btw. I think Duff performed OK at LB today and should be played there until Enrique is back.

Keep the faith!

Smith's passing was really good today actually.

His passing is a lot beter than people give him credit for you. He doesn't try to do anything too ambitious, but he look sof rthe forward pass to the player closest to him and therefore he is practically Riquelme in comparison to Nicky Butt.

Don't change your opinion of him on 30 minutes of football.  He isn't any better than them.  I'm sure R Taylor has had a similar 30 minutes in his lifetime.

Said in the Pre-Match thread that if we went 3-5-2 today (rather than going 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 with someone playing out of position at LB) then we'd pay the price for it, and I'm very sorry to have been proved right.

Wor Shearer, love you as a player, and as a manager you bring the enthusiasm and will-to-win that we need, but your formations and team selections are sadly no better than the idiots who preceded you.  :no:

Said in the Pre-Match thread that if we went 3-5-2 today (rather than going 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 with someone playing out of position at LB) then we'd pay the price for it, and I'm very sorry to have been proved right.

Wor Shearer, love you as a player, and as a manager you bring the enthusiasm and will-to-win that we need, but your formations and team selections are sadly no better than the idiots who preceded you.  :no:

He is the worst manager in our history.

0% win ratio.

All this talk of "we need to win x amount of games" or we're down is bollocks.

It all depends on how Blackburn and Hull do.

Why, can they lose points?

Well, obviously we need to get three points, but you know...  :blush:

We could draw all three home games and stay up potentially.

We're four points behind 17th though. ???

Its called optimism!!!

Get in the spirit.  :aww:

Oh fuck, aye...

Guest sicko2ndbest

Harper - 6

Raylor - 4

Saylor - 6

Basson - 6

Beye - 7

Duff - 6

Butt - 4

Nolan - 3

Jonas - 7

Carroll - 5

Owen - 5

Smith - 6

Viduka - 7

Martins - 7

Well, obviously we need to get three points, but you know... :blush:

Goal difference?

We still need four points to be above them. :lol:

Goal difference?

We still need four points to be above them. :lol:

Hey, I deleted that.  :rant:

West Brom now 3-2 down! Everyone fighting for their lives down their and Boro players devastated when they only drew yesterday. Did our players look bothered  :angry:

I wish the season was over already. At least then we'd know to either get over being relegated or celebrate a miracle.

Having to actually wait out the weeks, watch the fucking games and try and figure out all scenarios is the worst of it.

I wish the season would was over already. At least then we'd know to either get over being relegated or celebrate a miracle.

Having to actually wait out the weeks and watch the f***ing games is the worst of it.

Yeah, was thinking that today.  :sadnod: