Tottenham Hotspur 1 - 0 Newcastle - 19/04/08 - post match reaction from page 25

Dave

Guest elbee909

This defeat doesn't change a thing imo.

All we still need to do is win our home games and we'll stay up, and they are 3 very winnable games.

Let's fucking hope so.

Hopefully he sees that 4 at the back worked much better, he needs to stop trying to reinvent the wheel. 4 at the back, with a midfield 3 of Barton Jonas Guthrie then the top 3 of Viduka Martins and Owen in the hole assuming he is still set on playing him.

Negatives:

- Our midfield and strikers don't know how to counter-attack without dallying, playing triangles in our own full-back slots allows the opponents to regroup and easily get the ball when we try to attack.

- We give everyone far too much time on the ball, especially in midfield. Some of our players (Duff, Nolan and Ryan Taylor in particular) have no idea how to track a runner.

- We are very vunerable to a ball played through the centre-backs into the channels. Only a number of lucky deflections and good blocks stopped the cut backs from this being effective.

- We have possibly the slowest central midfield pairing in the league. Butt and Nolan (especially Nolan) were shocking today, it was alarming how neither could either use or retain the ball.

- Our set pieces are dreadful. All bar one hit the first man or were easily cleared and then countered from.

- Ryan Taylor. Think that should be a suspension now? Thank fuck.

- No matter how ineffectual or shit he is, Shearer won't drop or sub that mercenary bastard who wears the number 10 shirt. (and for some reason, the captains armband?)

- Injury to Steven Taylor.

- This stupid new 3-5-2 thing just doesn't work.

Positives

- Shearer isn't scared to change things, Martins and Viduka were on after 61 minutes and we went (more-or-less) 4-3-3. How many times has Kinnear/Hughton waited till the 84th minute before making a change?

- Alan Smith came on and settled in the midfield well. He isn't the fastest but he covered more ground than the 'experienced' Butt and the overweight, one-paced Nolan. People will most likely disagree but he didn't waste a single pass today.

- Harper had a fine game, saved a few shots with his fingertips and came off his line well. Was unlucky for the goal.

- We didn't fold after going one down like under Kinnear/Hughton. Alright, they had a few chances but we blocked them well and more or less nullified them until the break without too much effort.

- Steven Taylor had an excellent game before his injury.

- Gutierrez made some class probing runs, used the ball well, held onto possesion and won us a number of free kicks either in dangerous positions or at our own end when we needed to get out and regroup.

- Dowie looks like he uses any breakage in play to his advantage by getting as many players over to the dugout as possible and telling them all what to do, or what's going wrong. Never saw that under Kinnear/Hughton, not once.

- Ameobi didn't get any pitch time.

---------------------

We were shit today, but provided Shearer starts with Martins and Viduka (- I did say we should rip his contract up but after today, he looks useful and I'll happily retract that statement) in the next home game, we should be alright. I'm seriously worried if he continues with this wing-back malarky, because it's a load of fucking cobblers - who knows, it may be an excellent idea, but not now. We simply don't have the correct personelle.

Negatives:

- Our midfield and strikers don't know how to counter-attack without dallying, playing triangles in our own full-back slots allows the opponents to regroup and easily get the ball when we try to attack.

- We give everyone far too much time on the ball, especially in midfield. Some of our players (Duff, Nolan and Ryan Taylor in particular) have no idea how to track a runner.

- We are very vunerable to a ball played through the centre-backs into the channels. Only a number of lucky deflections and good blocks stopped the cut backs from this being effective.

- We have possibly the slowest central midfield pairing in the league. Butt and Nolan (especially Nolan) were shocking today, it was alarming how neither could either use or retain the ball.

- Our set pieces are dreadful. All bar one hit the first man or were easily cleared and then countered from.

- Ryan Taylor. Think that should be a suspension now? Thank fuck.

- No matter how ineffectual or shit he is, Shearer won't drop or sub that mercenary bastard who wears the number 10 shirt. (and for some reason, the captains armband?)

- Injury to Steven Taylor.

- This stupid new 3-5-2 thing just doesn't work.

Positives

- Shearer isn't scared to change things, Martins and Viduka were on after 61 minutes and we went (more-or-less) 4-3-3. How many times has Kinnear/Hughton waited till the 84th minute before making a change?

- Alan Smith came on and settled in the midfield well. He isn't the fastest but he covered more ground than the 'experienced' Butt and the overweight, one-paced Nolan. People will most likely disagree but he didn't waste a single pass today.

- Harper had a fine game, saved a few shots with his fingertips and came off his line well. Was unlucky for the goal.

- We didn't fold after going one down like under Kinnear/Hughton. Alright, they had a few chances but we blocked them well and more or less nullified them until the break without too much effort.

- Gutierrez made some class probing runs, used the ball well, held onto possesion and won us a number of free kicks either in dangerous positions or at our own end when we needed to get out and regroup.

- Dowie looks like he uses any breakage in play to his advantage by getting as many players over to the dugout as possible and telling them all what to do, or what's going wrong. Never saw that under Kinnear/Hughton, not once.

---------------------

We were shit today, but provided Shearer starts with Martins and Viduka (- I did say we should rip his contract up but after today, he looks useful and I'll happily retract that statement) in the next home game, we should be alright. I'm seriously worried if he continues with this wing-back malarky, because it's a load of fucking cobblers - who knows, it may be an excellent idea, but not now. We simply don't have the correct personelle.

Excellent post.

Positives

Only one of those I dispute is Harper being unlucky on the goal - I thought he should have done much better. These things happen though.

Rest of them are genuine positives though, particularly Shearer's willingness to change things with enough of the match left to make a difference. :thup:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_5210655,00.html

Alan Shearer felt there were positives to be taken from Newcastle's 1-0 defeat to Tottenham.

The result leaves the Magpies inside the Premier League relegation zone with five games of the season remaining.

A solitary strike from Darren Bent settled Sunday's contest at White Hart Lane, with the hosts good value for the three points.

Newcastle did come close to snatching an equaliser on a number of occasions, but Shearer knows there is a lot of hard work ahead for his side if they are to maintain their top-flight status.

"They had the better of the game in the first half, but having said that Steven Harper has not had much to do," Shearer told Sky Sports.

"We were disappointed with the way the goal happened, I think it was from our corner. But at 1-0 down there was still everything to play for.

"I think in the second half, the spirit was there and we now have to convert that into goals and chances.

"There is pressure on us. People have been saying for six weeks that we have to win our home games. Certainly we have to win at home to Portsmouth a week on Monday."

Shearer admits his cause is being hindered at present by injuries and players lacking match fitness, but he believes his squad are prepared to battle their way out of trouble.

"We put all of our big guns on at the end, because if you're going to get beat you might as well get beat going down fighting," he added.

"I thought we were more of a threat in the second half with Mark Viduka on, Oba Martins on and Michael Owen. The problem is getting those guys onto the pitch fitness wise.

"The other problem is we haven't got a left-back. We have got one left-back at the football club (Jose Enrique) who is injured at this moment in time.

"We changed it for last week's game (against Stoke), and it worked, and I knew this game was going to be tough with the way Spurs play - with two wide men. But we didn't get started in the first half.

"Steven Taylor was then feeling an injury so we had to make a change and we put Damien Duff back there, and I thought he did a good job."

Bold bit is good to hear.

Guest optimistic nit

we need to beat both pompey and boro, both possible if we start with martins and viduka, then either one of villa/fulham or draw both. i'm hoping 8 will be enough.

Well that was wasn't the best of days out, firstly my train was delayed then found out the whole of the Victoria line is out today. (:rolleyes:) so had to fucking leg it to Liverpool Street and get the slowest train in the fucking world to WHL meaning I missed the first 10 mins. Then to top it off I had to endure the Nicky Butt & Ryan Taylor fuck up show for 80 mins. Get on the train home and find out I've lost my phone somewhere along the way. Good fucking times. :thup:

Harper - 4 - Blehh.

Ryan Taylor - 2 - This guy's a footballer? LOL.

Bassong - 6 - OK.

Beye - 5 - Meh.

Duff - 3 - Crap

Nolan - 3 - Wank.

Butt - 2 -  :rant: should be renamed :butt:

Jonas - 6 - Tried.

Smith - 6 - Decent actually.

Owen - 4 - Anonymous.

Carroll - 5 - Battled.

Viduka - 5 - Sticky.

Oba - 5 - You've got to score that.

One of the worst performances I've ever seen, toothless isn't the word. The midfield is a walking tragedy.

Oh yeah, Steve Taylor - 5 -  :dontknow:

Not that it would change that much right now but Beye should be Captain, he was shouting all game and looking right pissed off when things weren't going our way or if the ref made a shit decision. All I seen from Owen was him through his hands up in the air all the time and get pushed off the ball like he was a little boy. The Spuds were there for the taking  in the 2nd half Martins and Viduka showed that, just a pity we have missed them for most of the season.

This is what a Spurs fan said to me once I said that we weren't organised with the 3-5-2

to me you did, i dont sit high up so couldn't see the full picture but i thought the only problem was beye playing ****. we weren't really penetrating newcastle at all. jonas and duff seemed to be working well together.

:idiot2:

We had to chance to sign Lennon for a £1million, when he was at Leeds. Souness turned it down  :sadnod:

Thank fu** for that. Duracell Bunny.... I'm a shit player but even I could see he was goint to cut inside every time. Spuds flatter to deceive.... where was Modric/Keane 2nd half. They're shit.. unfortunately, we're shitter

Guest Joe90

You can fanny around changing formations as much as you like but the basic problem is the team has no mental backbone. Players are disappearing when they are needed most both on and off the field. Watching the game today on the telly you could see the total lack of urgency shown by a number of players in various situations such as defending corners, getting back or supporting forward play. Lack of character and gumption in my book. I feel for the lads who went down today and having to stand there and watch that lot.

Portsmouth are a better team than us and if their manager is worth his salt he'll have his lot chomping at the bit to get stuck into us..

Awful performance today and one which we got fully what we deserved - nout. Midfield was woeful, despite the extra man. We are so pedestrian and predictable, that it's untrue. Kevin Nolan (yet again) barely broke sweat. Why the hell did we buy him? Shearer isn't afraid to make changes (which is a positive), but he's having to try and make a fur purse from a sow's ear. Ashley (and his cronies) have destroyed this football club and I think it unlikely that we'll win all 3 of these key home games. We've only won 4 at home all season! Too many players again, simply going through the motions. We have a cancer at the club (and have done for some years) The prognosis for me is terminal. I mean - having to rely on the likes of Owen, Duff and Nolan? :D

We looked a different side after Smith came on. Having someone in there that looks confident and can pass the ball meant we could play it through the midfield.

Nolan just looks very uncertain over his role in the side. He looks like he's been instructed to do nothing.

Martins didn't look like a player who'd had to cry off with a groin strain last week. Likewise Viduka looked as fit I've seen him this last two years.

Owen is there on reputation alone. If his name was Joe Bloggs, he'd be on the bench.

Not that it would change that much right now but Beye should be Captain, he was shouting all game and looking right pissed off when things weren't going our way or if the ref made a shit decision. All I seen from Owen was him through his hands up in the air all the time and get pushed off the ball like he was a little boy. The Spuds were there for the taking  in the 2nd half Martins and Viduka showed that, just a pity we have missed them for most of the season.

It's good to be positive in this situation but the bit in bold has to be a piss take! Spurs never got out of 2nd gear to make us look like a non league side.

Smith never passed the ball forward. Sure, he never lost the ball and seemed to be moving with a bit more aggression today, but he still hid when we had possession and never looked to support our attack. Why wasn't Guthrie, someone's who blatantly capable of passing, sent on to dictate the game for us? Our entire attack went through Nicky Butt for the last 15 minutes of the match. That's not good.

Well that was wasn't the best of days out, firstly my train was delayed then found out the whole of the Victoria line is out today. (:rolleyes:) so had to fucking leg it to Liverpool Street and get the slowest train in the fucking world to WHL meaning I missed the first 10 mins. Then to top it off I had to endure the Nicky Butt & Ryan Taylor fuck up show for 80 mins. Get on the train home and find out I've lost my phone somewhere along the way. Good fucking times. :thup:

Harper - 4 - Blehh.

Ryan Taylor - 2 - This guy's a footballer? LOL.

Bassong - 6 - OK.

Beye - 5 - Meh.

Duff - 3 - Crap

Nolan - 3 - Wank.

Butt - 2 -   :rant: should be renamed :butt:

Jonas - 6 - Tried.

Smith - 6 - Decent actually.

Owen - 4 - Anonymous.

Carroll - 5 - Battled.

Viduka - 5 - Sticky.

Oba - 5 - You've got to score that.

One of the worst performances I've ever seen, toothless isn't the word. The midfield is a walking tragedy.

Oh yeah, Steve Taylor - 5 -  :dontknow:

Have to agree with that.

We should all stop kidding ourselves and start preparing for the championship next season.  We will win 1 game against the boro and that's it.

Oh and hopefully someone can smash Ashley's face in when they see him, if ever.